Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: STAR School at HPR (August)

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

STAR School at HPR (August)

Hi all,

I've been in contact with the folks at STAR School as I'm going to be signing up for it (should be a total blast!). They are having a hard time filling up the classes and may have to cancel.

This track school is an incredibly good deal when compared to other schools and Pridmore and crew are great teachers. If you want to do this school, mention cosportbikeclub and you'll get $25 off the price.

Let's not be the lame date on their schedule and force them to cancel!

They are having 1- or 2-day classes on August 15 and 16. Price is normally $350 for one day, $650 for 2.

Go here for more info: http://www.starmotorcycle.com/

Re: STAR School at HPR (August)

That's alot of $$ for one track day....at this point - with my skill level being very avg or worse I'd probably get more out of just seat time and talking with more experienced guys on the track. It is cool that they do it out at HPR, does anyone else in the CSC who has been to the STAR school have feedback about it? I'm sure it is wonderful, I'm just asking.
    "Insert clever/inspirational quote here."

I have a couple of bikes, they are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ian22 View Post
    That's alot of $$ for one track day....at this point - with my skill level being very avg or worse I'd probably get more out of just seat time and talking with more experienced guys on the track. It is cool that they do it out at HPR, does anyone else in the CSC who has been to the STAR school have feedback about it? I'm sure it is wonderful, I'm just asking.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...highlight=star

How many people do they need to have the school and how many more need to sign up?
    CEO, Angry Marmot Motorsports
    07 Passion Red Kawi 650R

That's alot of $$ for one track day....at this point - with my skill level being very avg or worse I'd probably get more out of just seat time and talking with more experienced guys on the track.

Ian, as some of the comments in the thread indicate, you will get faster/better/smother/etc.

I haven't done the STAR school, but have done others that have "fast" guys teaching (some Kevin S guy). You will be amazed about how much you can learn from them just by having them chase you around.

Sort of like fixing your suspension, sure you can putt around with your suspension out and do okay, but have it tuned, you can instantly drop time. Same with having a pro watch your lines, watch your body position and your riding style.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanant.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

I would love to do it someday. I'll see what happens after Chicane and the summer plans. Mid August though? Ugh... better bring ice and water.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I'm in the process of getting our military Safety office to pay for this school....more to follow!
    2011 Ducati 848 Evo "Bautista"
    2002 Honda RC-51 "Big Boi"

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

Wow, I couldn't disagree with you more, not to be disrespectful. You'd get WAY more out of a school with good instruction than you'd ever get by running around the track on your own. This is dirt cheap for a good track school. $325 for a day? Compare that to the other big name schools.

With your skill level, you'd gain so much from an experience like this. Not trying to push you in any way as it doesn't matter - you have to do what you want to do. Just saying...
    Last edited by GuitarX; Thu May 26th, 2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Changed the price due to CSC discount

Quote Originally Posted by Pharmgirl View Post
    How many people do they need to have the school and how many more need to sign up?
    I'll try to find out...

My point was that I simply need to practice what I already know...then I think I'd get more out of it. Maybe next year.
    "Insert clever/inspirational quote here."

I have a couple of bikes, they are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarX View Post
    Hi all,

I've been in contact with the folks at STAR School as I'm going to be signing up for it (should be a total blast!). They are having a hard time filling up the classes and may have to cancel.

This track school is an incredibly good deal when compared to other schools and Pridmore and crew are great teachers. If you want to do this school, mention cosportbikeclub and you'll get $25 off the price.

Let's not be the lame date on their schedule and force them to cancel!

They are having 1- or 2-day classes on August 15 and 16. Price is normally $350 for one day, $650 for 2.

Go here for more info: http://www.starmotorcycle.com/
    I'm in. are you doin 1 or 2 day?

I'd rather do Keith Code's school, but they aren't coming to HPR anytime that I know of.
    2006 Lexus GX470
    2010 Ducati Streetfighter
    2007 Ducati M695
    1994 Yamaha TZ250 (track smoker)

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

My point was that I simply need to practice what I already know...then I think I'd get more out of it. Maybe next year.
    Consider the possibility that what you already know is flawed. Then you're just reinforcing bad habits. That may or may not be true for you but I can say, having done this course (2 day), that these guys are seriously good. I did it in 2009 and had been riding for 25+ years. I learned a lot. This is not a track day. It is not a race school. This is, IMHO, the best opportunity you'll see to improve your riding skills. Jason and crew will change the way you ride a bike, and it will be for the better.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I'm in. are you doin 1 or 2 day?

I'd rather do Keith Code's school, but they aren't coming to HPR anytime that I know of.
    Code is at Miller July 4-7. Not cheap though.

I think I'll probably go for the 2 day. It's a lot of information to process for just one day AND try to work things out on the track. I think you're brain starts clicking things together the 2nd day and the physical side (riding) shows more improvement. Just my opinion though, so take it for what it's worth.

they cover different things on days 1 and 2...I only did day 1 and regret it

Yes, its a lot of money. But if you take 650/16 = You are paying a little more than $40 an hour to get proper instruction, on a track, thats safe. Plus like someone else said, you may be building on bad habits. Lots of schools have onboard cameras that show you body position etc, which then can be critiqued on the spot.
    "Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame" - Benjamin Franklin

SV650

I must have missed that thread.

to Clarkie!

In reality, you are paying $350 for instruction by the staff since 2 days of HPR time would run you $300 anyway. Hell of a deal.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Pharmgirl View Post
    Pharmgirl, here's what I got back from STAR:

We need to have around 30 to keep the school on the schedule. Right now I have 10 signed up. I'm pretty sure the closer we get to the date - we will be OK. This track has always been a great place to go in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Finklestein87 View Post
    Lots of schools have onboard cameras that show you body position etc, which then can be critiqued on the spot.
    That was one of the most helpful things from my last school. Track time, then classroom time. Then repeat.

So surprising to see what you are doing and where you are vs should be. Most of the classes are taught with racing in mind, but being a more smooth rider makes you better whereever you spend most of your time.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

i'm planning on it.

never saw that the question got answered as far as how many they need and how many are signed up. anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by seann137 View Post
    i'm planning on it.

never saw that the question got answered as far as how many they need and how many are signed up. anyone know?
    See two posts up.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by Airreed View Post
    I'm in the process of getting our military Safety office to pay for this school....more to follow!

Give me some good news!

Is anyone here still planning on doing STAR?

I will likely sign up this week, and was wondering if there is anyone who could help trailer my bike and/or any female who is interested in sharing the cost for a room somewhat close to the track. I'm taking Dave's advice and do the two days.

What days is STAR again?

IF anyone wants to join me for the Yamaha Champions Riding School August 4th and 5th, they are more than welcome to ride with me.