Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite helmet you own or owned?

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

Re: Favorite helmet you own or owned?

So...
    I find myself in the market for a new helmet since I dropped my lid on the pavement yesterday. Hard enough that there's no way to trust it anymore.

I liked my Scorp EXO-700 except for the wind noise and am thinking about the EXO-1000.

Anybody know how they compare to the shoei's, arai's and AGV's?

Which helmets do you find quietest?

Which seem to be the best bang for the buck?
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by cptschlongenheimer View Post
    So...
    I find myself in the market for a new helmet since I dropped my lid on the pavement yesterday. Hard enough that there's no way to trust it anymore.

I liked my Scorp EXO-700 except for the wind noise and am thinking about the EXO-1000.

I think that will depend on which line of those helmets you will try comparing it to.

I personally don't rate the scorpions up with a shoei rf1100, and definitely not with the shoei x-11 or x-12 as an overall helmet. Then again, wind noise isn't a factor for myself since I wear ear plugs. I look more for ventilation, weight, visor replacement and fog prone, fit and finish of the helmet both inside and out. Also, minimizing wind buffeting at speed is also very important to me.

When I was checking out the exo1000, just felt like the visor/sun shield tab would break (don't know for sure as i haven't owned one).

- Protection wise, I don't think you can compare them. Shoei and Aria are at a much higher level IMO. The Scorpion 1000 is nice, but just not the same.

- I always thought my Scorpion was the most comfortable and quietest I have owned. Plus, the windscreen never fogs up, which is nice. It is a really nice helmet. The only downside of the Scorpion is that it's heavy.

- Do you really want to ask this question with regard to protecting your head? Protection and fit should be your biggest concerns.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...ose+Out+Center

They don't have scorpion exo-1000 but they do have some Shark RSR2 for a great friggin price!!!!

Talk about plush.....I have yet to find another helmet that is as plush on the interior. One of my favorite all time helmets.

If you're worried about the weight of the EXO-1000, check out the new 1100. It's much lighter and will definitely be my next helmet purchase (especially since mine hit the pavement last week ).

I like my Scorpion more than my Shoei or Shark. The Shark is hot, heavy and loud as hell. The Shoei was lighter, but would fog up at anything lower than 40... Not good for riding to work at 6 in the morning.

The new EXO-1100 is the hawtness. It's light, has all the accouterments of the 1000 and is ECE 22.05 and DOT certified. Plus, it's 300 smackers, it's a tough price to beat for a new helmet.

Also, if you look around, the 1000s are going on clearance for 200'sh. Great deal for a helmet.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...ypes/scorpion/
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    - Do you really want to ask this question with regard to protecting your head? Protection and fit should be your biggest concerns.
    Sounds like I'm cheaping out here but I'm not. I'm not necessarily looking for the lowest cost. I'm just looking for which ones give you the best protection per dollar since I've got to dip into my vacation fund for it.

PS. got your PM... Seriously contemplating.
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by cptschlongenheimer View Post
    So...

I don't know what your budget or size is but check the Bell Star I have for sale. Its by far the best helmet I've owned and I've had an Arai quantum and corsair rx7, Shoei rf-1000 and x-11. This thing is like putting your head in a pillow. It has more air flow then the x-11 and also is more comfortable imo. If it fit me better theres no way I'd sell it.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

AGV - Stealth

IMO - Best bang for buck - EXO-1000 for 209 (solid), 225 (graphics) on motorcyclegear.com

I paid over 300 for mine at Grand Prix, and that was with my food drive coupon
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    It's much lighter and will definitely be my next helmet purchase (especially since mine hit the pavement last week ).
    Uh oh! Helmet slip or motorcycle defeated by gravity?

I liked my scorpian EX700 for winter riding because it didnt fog up as bad as my soumy but considering the scorpian helmet weighed a brick compared to the soumy i chose the soumy apex. its pretty reasonably price and everything on/in the helmet is interchangable with the soumy spec 1R. I didnt want to spend $600-$1200 on a spec 1R so i chose the apex and i like it especially on long rides! i would recommend this helmet to other riders.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Uh oh! Helmet slip or motorcycle defeated by gravity?
    A huge gust of wind, helmet on seat, me trying to keep my balance and get my lunch box into my tail bag... I needed one more hand.

You're head looks so cool when riding
    a great graphic helmet. it sure does.

My current lid. It's loud as shit and the visor sucks, but I still like it.

A huge gust of wind, helmet on seat, me trying to keep my balance and get my lunch box into my tail bag... I needed one more hand.
    Bummer. It's better than the Multi hitting the ground...

Peripheral vision sucks, too windy, too noisy, visor borders on a welding shield and the foam is hard. But it’s the coolest looking thing I’ve ever raced with.

MRA Racer No.427

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Last edited by Mother Goose; Tue Oct 11th, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

I want confirmation on this, although I'm pretty sure:

They started making the arai profile in 2006. Still being produced today. I waited to buy one with a snell 2010 sticker on it. However. Is it still the same exact design? Meaning the currently produced model has been tested under the new standard and passes that as well as the old standard?

IE: Is it still the same exact helmet no matter if it has snell 2005 or snell 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    IE: Is it still the same exact helmet no matter if it has snell 2005 or snell 2010?
    it is still the same exact helmet, with the exception that one's been sitting on the shelf longer. Plastics deteriorate with exposure to ozone and sun. You take a chance the older one's been stored properly to minimize ozone embrittlement.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

Yo Schlong, you're buying into a myth that the helmet manufacturers love. You don't have to replace your helmet just because it fell on the ground and took a smack. The only time you have to do that is when there's a 10 lb melon in the helmet and it hits the ground and takes a smack. If the helmet hits the ground and your head wasn't in it squishing the interior styrofoam, it's perfectly okay and you're just wasting your money.

That said, if you want to waste your money it doesn't help much hearing what other people like since only trying a helmet on can tell you how it's going to feel and fit.

That said, I like the Shoei RF-1100 and Shark RSI. :-)

Love my Shark S650 but wind screen doesn't fit perfect and Noisy above 65
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarX View Post
    Yo Schlong, you're buying into a myth that the helmet manufacturers love. You don't have to replace your helmet just because it fell on the ground and took a smack. The only time you have to do that is when there's a 10 lb melon in the helmet and it hits the ground and takes a smack. If the helmet hits the ground and your head wasn't in it squishing the interior styrofoam, it's perfectly okay and you're just wasting your money.

That said, if you want to waste your money it doesn't help much hearing what other people like since only trying a helmet on can tell you how it's going to feel and fit.

That said, I like the Shoei RF-1100 and Shark RSI. :-)
    Normally I'd totally agree. I've accidentally bounced more than one helmet around a little but I've never had an incident like this one. It made a really sick "crack" sound as it hit the ground and bounced a couple times. I mean it hit solid.

Inspection upon picking it up, revealed a pretty good divot in the gloss coat. (almost dime sized) There's no visible crack in the shell but I suspect there could be stress/damage to the structure. I'll wear it until it's replaced, but my livelihood is between my ears and I just can't trust it the way I used to.
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarX View Post
    Gary, do you have any info on this? Or could you point me in the direction of learning more about it? I'm curious and would like to more know more. Thanks!
    Last edited by Sean; Tue Oct 11th, 2011 at 01:26 PM.

... besides, who doesn't need a closet full of helmets?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...