Thread: Bar Risers/Conversion/Heli-bars?

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Bar Risers/Conversion/Heli-bars?

I have a 2009 GSXR 750. Thinking about a conversion kit to rise the bars to resolve lower back issues.
    Love the bike. Don't want another one, in case you are thinking "just buy a cruiser".

Does anybody have any thoughts positive or negative about changing the stock?

And if you might recommend altering the stock, do you have a preferred vendor/brand/etc.?

Also, just to be a multi-question-PITA, how hard is it to do so?

Ter

(I haven't done a thorough CSC search on this yet as I'm ADHD and pretty much require immediate gratification) Any help is appreciated though.
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Fri May 27th, 2011 at 08:31 PM.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Re: Bar Risers/Conversion/Heli-bars?

Heli Bars are pretty much standard fare for replacing clip ons, and probably won't require longer control cables and such.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Thanks Jeff, and really I think that's one of my concerns is the cableing. There seems to be enough slack to accomodate but just not sure about the rest.
    I'm a fan of stock, as much as possible. I love these bikes just the way they are.
    I always feel like the slightest change can completely screw the bike the way it was built to be ridden.
    I have a huge personal problem with that. However, if folks can give input that it's okay to "ninth degree" then I'll see how that shakes out.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Terri.... I love the risers on my gixxer. It still handles like a sportbike, without lower back pain and sore wrists.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    Terri.... I love the risers on my gixxer. It still handles like a sportbike, without lower back pain and sore wrists.
    And you elaborate how?

What did you get bebe, what brand, can you send a link?

And the other question is, do the risers stop the vibration, or is that simply a bar-end issue? Totally separate question maybe?

Dougie gave me new bar ends for the SV, which saved my soul, and made a ton of difference in my long rides. (I think I still owe him in fact)

2005 SV650S Street

Matty has the full riser / handle bar conversion if I'm thinking of his streetfighter. That will definitely require longer cables.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I put helibars on my zx-14. Set back about an inch and up 3/4s. Slightly more upright position and did not require new cables. It's a good way to go with a minimal investment. If it helps, great. If not, easy return to try something else.

Jbnwc's wife had convertibars on her SV1000. I really like the amount of adjustability but almost certain they require longer cables. Also, be cautious using canyon dancers with them... Jason can elaborate on this if you care.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

How did you feel that changed your "feeling" on the bike on various roads? Or not at all?

Wha? Why would a canyon dancer effect that? Maybe I'm not thinking?!

And which Jason? I know 4?!
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Fri May 27th, 2011 at 09:37 PM.

2005 SV650S Street

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    How did you feel that changed your "feeling" on the bike on various roads? Or not at all?

Wha? Why would a canyon dancer effect that? Maybe I'm not thinking?!
    Took a bit of the stress off my wrists and lower back. Slightly more relaxed riding position, but definitely still a sport bike posture.

Jason snapped one of the convertibars w/ the canyon dancer... whether or not it was the convertibar or the dancer, it remains to be seen, but it ended up being cheaper to put oem bars back on the back over replacing one bar.

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    And which Jason? I know 4?!
    JBNWC
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Terri.... I have the RSD risers as triples. The only cables that needed to be switched out was my brake line. The throttle cable had enough slack. As for vibrations. I don't have bar ends and it feels great.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Congrats on the new bike! Decided to upgrade from the SV?

Heli has been making risers for many years, while I've never used them, I've talked to a bunch of people over the years, and the kids are well-thought-out, and usually require no new cables/brake lines/wiring harness. Best of luck!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)