Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ride Cameras you are using

Ride Cameras you are using

i want to buy one but dunno which

Last ride i saw a lady with one and another rider had a go pro
    well i know about 5 with go pro's and one coutour i think thats what its called
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Re: Ride Cameras you are using

What do you want to do with a camera?

The GoPro is pretty standard for action-sports because of its durable housing, compact size, and mounting options.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Go-Pro plus LCD screen. Makes a HUGE difference in shooting/playback/overall usability of the camera.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

The fish-eye lens makes everything look farther away, so if you're trying to get video of the person in front of you - you'll have to get right on their ass for a decent shot.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

i want to gets some vids of me riding and others, i plan on doing a lot of runs this summer so some forward mounted, helmet and face view vids just want to get a variety.
    Last edited by AOK303; Mon May 30th, 2011 at 03:30 AM.

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

If you're going to do helmet stuff, you want the GoPro. The Contour is very nice, but it's easily the size of two GoPros. If you were just filming from the bike, I'd recommend the Contour.

Gopro is the one I use and love it. For 300 bucks you get a nice camera specialized in sport filming with a waterproof case and several mounting options. Expect to spend about 400 bucks if you get the lcd and highstorage capacity. Note it takes a stanard sd card, I think I bought mine on amazon for pretty cheap.
    "Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame" - Benjamin Franklin

SV650

I currently have a contour, but when I get a new one, it will be a Go Pro. I still like the physical design of the contour, but they use a .mov format which sucks for all pc users. And their website and downloading software are useless. And it appears the Go Pro does a much better job with wind noise.
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

GoPro HD (1080) here. But if you're only posting to YouTube, save some money and go for the new GoPro 960 which does a pretty remarkable job. There's a thread in here somewhere.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I will look for thread thanks for the info guys

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Keep an eye out on some of the coupon/bargain sites and you can get a pretty killer deal on the various GoPro models. Just this past week there were a couple deals with the 1080HD Motorsports HERO model for as low as $194 and the 960 for $121. All brand new unopened etc and not refurbished or anything.

I have a 1080HD model and kind of keeping an eye out on a deal for a second one to use with the 3D adapter

I usually watch www.slickdeals.net (just search for GoPro and you'll see some from the past few months). The deals seem to pop up about once a week for the GoPros

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Vellos View Post
    The fish-eye lens makes everything look farther away, so if you're trying to get video of the person in front of you - you'll have to get right on their ass for a decent shot.
    Yep, ask Finkelstein!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Yep, ask Finkelstein!

SV650

Opinions on the Drift 170HD (or Stealth)?

http://driftinnovation.com/

I like that it has a rotating lens so you can mount it multiple ways for helmet/bike/car and it has a remote for on/off without removing the camera from where it's mounted
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

960 vs 1080 .... do you really need the 1080? 960 seems like its good enough and its much cheaper. Just trying to figure it out for myself.

The Drift looks pretty nice, a little big in the pics of seen of it but the remote is a really nice option.
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Quote Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
    960 vs 1080 .... do you really need the 1080? 960 seems like its good enough and its much cheaper. Just trying to figure it out for myself.

The Drift looks pretty nice, a little big in the pics of seen of it but the remote is a really nice option.
    All 1080s seem to drop to 30fps, so for smooth video you're stuck at 720 to get 60fps...or so I'm reading, I'm no expert on any of this.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    All 1080s seem to drop to 30fps, so for smooth video you're stuck at 720 to get 60fps...or so I'm reading, I'm no expert on any of this.
    30fps is fine (most bigscreen movies are shot at that) slow motion shots are where the fps really counts, but i'm not expert either.

SV650

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

I was actually considering getting one also how much do they weigh and if you mount on the bike where do you mount it?

Quote Originally Posted by Finklestein87 View Post
    30fps is fine (most bigscreen movies are shot at that) slow motion shots are where the fps really counts, but i'm not expert either.
    I only know that 30fps on my computer playing games is chunky and slow and doesn't look smooth, but maybe in video it's different.

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    I was actually considering getting one also how much do they weigh and if you mount on the bike where do you mount it?
    The short answers are "not much" and "anywhere". They're all light enough to helmet mount and not really be noticed, and with multiple ways to mount them they can be put basically anywhere you want to get whatever shots you want from swingarm to fender to side to dash...anywhere really...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I only know that 30fps on my computer playing games is chunky and slow and doesn't look smooth, but maybe in video it's different.
    Depends on the game. Some games run at 30fps, others well over.

SV650

60fps or 1080i takes 4 gig ram and 1gig graphics card to playback MINIMUM. If you want to edit or render expect more.

Remember GoPro records in h.264 with an MP4 container. This means editing is quite difficult unless you have a specific program that will touch MP4's. Adobe products wont. Windows movie maker coverts it to AVI first thus degrading quality.

I use Sony Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post

Remember GoPro records in h.264 with an MP4 container. This means editing is quite difficult unless you have a specific program that will touch MP4's. Adobe products wont.
    My Adobe Premier Pro CS5 renders h.264 mp4's from my Go Pro just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellos
    GoPro's website has a great FAQ which talks about the different housing that is available for purchase that will flatten the case to reduce the fisheye effect. Of use mostly to divers, but I'd imagine it would help in this case as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach
    If you're going to do helmet stuff, you want the GoPro. The Contour is very nice, but it's easily the size of two GoPros. If you were just filming from the bike, I'd recommend the Contour.
    See the comparo at Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/16/g...-cam-face-off/
    2011 BMW S1000RR
    Sitting peacefully in storage

2003 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) trackbike (sold), 2004 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold), 2004 Yamaha YZF-R6 trackbike (sold), 2006 Yamaha YZF-R6s (sold), 1999 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja (sold), 1998 Honda CBR600F3(TOTALED) 1989 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja(TOTALED)

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

30fps should be more than good enough, though more is always better. 60 would be good, as 60hz was determined to be plenty fast so that the human eye can't see the cycling of A/C light bulbs etc.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

As others said, the gopro has a very wide angle lens (like 170 degrees), but there are replacement lenses available for it, if you are willing to take the camera apart. They aren't gopro parts, so it voids your warranty.

I'm very happy with my gopro 960. I didn't see the value in spending the extra $140 for the 1080 version, although to be able to do 60fps at 720p, is pretty sweet. I take everything in 720p. I think 960p is a waste, but it can be useful for some people. I've used it in all situations. Underwater, through puddles in my truck, in the snow, on a jetski, on my dirt bike, in my car, whatever. You never have to worry about water.

I wish the battery life were better. 2.5 hours of video is not enough sometimes. Luckily, they are swappable so you can have several.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F