Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ride Cameras you are using

Re: Ride Cameras you are using

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    Remember GoPro records in h.264 with an MP4 container. This means editing is quite difficult unless you have a specific program that will touch MP4's. Adobe products wont.
    I don't have any problems editing the video in Premiere Pro CS4/5. But then, it's all about how you start the project. If the video in isn't compatible with the video out, premiere can have issues with it. Like mixing gopro 720p video with iphone 720p video. It's possible, but takes a little bit of settings tweaks.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Go-pro here, only used it once, but it survived a flip,tumble,scrape AND slide with only very little dammage and still works fine. These are almost bulletproof as far as I can tell, and also don't weigh very much.
    '95 Suziki GSXF 600 (Katana) (sold)
    '10 BMW S1000RR (aka. Black Betty) Thunder Grey (Totaled)
    '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Just saw the Contour HD is on special sale today for $179.00.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref...tag=slickdeals

Don't know much about it compared to the GoPro HD but have heard good things about it.

I think they are all pretty comparable with the GoPro maybe having a slight advantage being the only one with a reliable completely sumersible option compared to just "water resistant" as well as having the expansion port for future options. If you don't need that stuff though then any of them seem pretty nice.

So the 960 does NOT have the expansion port? No LCD option for it?
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
    It does not.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
    that is the only reason i opted for the Go-Pro hero, the expansion port for the LCD and possibilty of 3d in the future if I had a wild hair.
    '95 Suziki GSXF 600 (Katana) (sold)
    '10 BMW S1000RR (aka. Black Betty) Thunder Grey (Totaled)
    '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    As others said, the gopro has a very wide angle lens (like 170 degrees)
    That is when recording at certain resolutions. IF you read the FAQ on their website, they explain the fact that recording at certain resolutions such as 960p (resolution is adjustable) have a much smaller and taller field of view.

I think 960p is a waste, but it can be useful for some people. I've used it in all situations.
    Once again, if you read the FAQ on their website, 960p is useful because it provides a taller and narrower field of view. Specific examples of events that it is best used for is also listed on their website.
    2011 BMW S1000RR
    Sitting peacefully in storage

2003 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) trackbike (sold), 2004 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold), 2004 Yamaha YZF-R6 trackbike (sold), 2006 Yamaha YZF-R6s (sold), 1999 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja (sold), 1998 Honda CBR600F3(TOTALED) 1989 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja(TOTALED)

Quote Originally Posted by Depths_of_Mind View Post
    that is the only reason i opted for the Go-Pro hero, the expansion port for the LCD and possibilty of 3d in the future if I had a wild hair.
    ^^
    "Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame" - Benjamin Franklin

SV650

I got the 960 and it does great things for me. Going to get 2 more here soon.

Found a well-written review of the Drift Innovation HD170 Stealth on Amazon, reposting here:

I've had a chance to play around with the new Drift HD170 Stealth camera for a few weeks now and made a quick video just to show a few things I've tried with it. What makes it "stealth," I guess, is the new sleek black design (the casing of the unit is made from a durable black rubberized plastic). The bright orange face of the older model did likely call some attention to itself, and for some uses (i.e. stealth uses) that's a drawback. While the older model's bright colored face made it look fun, I think I do prefer the solid black and can see why they opted for it. The feature that makes this camera really stand out from other similar POV or "extreme sports" cameras, though, is the onboard LCD screen, that allows you to see what you are going to be capturing on the spot, so you can arrange the camera just as you like; it also allows you to go through the menu on the spot and adjust options depending on your needs at the moment. (You can set things up in the menu so that the LCD turns off after a minute of being unused - so as to prolong the life of the battery).

What's struck me is that the real value of this camcorder is its combination of a rugged and durable design with its versatility. It's emphasized for use with extreme sports - but it's useful pretty much anywhere you wouldn't risk another more fragile camera. It's water and weather resistant - not water proof - so you could use it in light rain, maybe even during a hurricane if it was securely mounted, but certainly in extreme conditions where you'd be worried about a standard camcorder. (I've heard that Drift Innovation - the company that makes these - will be coming out with a fully waterproof case for the Stealth some time soon - so that you can add cliff diving and snorkeling to the list of extreme sports you can capture subjectively with the Stealth) The camera comes with three different mounts - one that you can secure to any kind of narrow belt (and it comes with an elastic belt), one that you can put on a handlebar, and one that you can secure to a helmet with the included velcro adhesives. It's easy to orient the camera, even if you've got it mounted in an odd spot - the shooting orientation can be changed simply by rotating the lens manually, and the quick release mount can also be rotated so that the unit can be oriented however you like with respect to the mount.

I'm not much of an extreme sports guy - but I can see where this would come in handy for various types of video projects other than extreme sports, and I tried to illustrate a few possible uses in the video. You can mount it on a bike, a motorcycle, a skateboard, or on a 12-foot-long paint pole elevated over a car (as I did in the attached video, using the handlebar mount attached to the end of the pole). Obviously, I wouldn't want to put my Canon VIXIA HFS10 on top of a long pole like that because if it dropped or bumped into something it would almost certainly be damaged. While the Stealth is not damage proof it's a lot more rugged than a standard camera, and so it works great in lots of precarious situations. I used to think that when I needed an extreme shot the best option would be a relatively inexpensive camera like my Flip, that I could more afford to have damaged than my nicer camera - but with this one the risk of serious damage is significantly diminished.

You can shoot decent photos (5 megapixels - and they look fine, but as you'd expect on a device that's tailored for video capture they don't really compare to the images you'd capture on a compact camera in this price range - expect a few notches up from the quality you'd capture on a phone and you won't be disappointed), and very cool time lapse sequences (with shooting intervals from 3 to 30 seconds apart), plus it takes surprisingly good HD video for such a small camera. It's not as nice or as versatile as my Canon, but the video is at least as good or better than what I can capture on my Flip Mino HD - plus it's got a much wider lens, which is ideal for "point of view" shooting. At 720p it captures a 170 degree view, and it's got a bit of a fisheye effect - which is kind of nice, it looks very cool with POV sports footage but could be effective in other applications as well. At 1080p it captures a slightly narrower range of 120 degrees, and there's less distortion, but not as many options for frame rates. At 720p you can shoot at frame rates from 25fps to 60, and shooting at 60fps allows you to slow the footage down in an editing program without things looking jerky as they would if you'd shot at a standard 30fps and then played back at an effective 15 frames per second. At 1080p you can shoot either 25 or 30fps. (You can also shoot standard definition video if you like). The video is encoded with H.264 in a Quicktime (.mov) wrapper - so it's easy to import and play or edit in a variety of applications.

One other nice feature is that the set comes with a remote control "watch" - you can wear it on your wrist (it's got a velcro band) and it has two buttons: for record and stop. There's a bit of a time lag on the stop function - it takes a couple seconds and sometimes I've found I've had to press the button twice to get it to respond, but otherwise it works quite well. The weak element on the camera is the onboard mike - it doesn't capture clear sound at all. It's noisy and would really only work as reference and not playback. In other words if you spoke into the mike or near the mike you would be able to hear what you'd said - assuming you weren't on a motorcycle, or free falling from high altitudes - and it might help you to remember something - but you wouldn't want to even consider including the audio in a completed video. The main reason for the weakness of the mike seems to be that its input is protected by a rubber seal - in order to ensure the water resistance of the unit. The real value of this camera is in capturing video you wouldn't be able (or willing) to capture in other ways. There is another option with this camera that not all cameras of this type allow, which is to plug in an external microphone - but I'm pretty sure the input is proprietary, which means you either have to buy the mike from Drift or you have to buy one of the input cables for your mike from them. When you do use an external mike you have to keep the rear hatch of the camera open - and Drift sells a kind of silicon boot to help keep things sealed and protected when the mike is connected and the door is open.

The Stealth is not a one-size-fits-all camcorder that will meet every need and wouldn't by any stretch replace a standard camcorder for ordinary shooting, especially given its fixed, extremely wide lens and its substandard onboard mike - but it can capture images you'd never dream of trying to capture with your standard camcorder. If all you want to do is capture extreme sports from the point of view of the athlete, or other extreme images that would put an ordinary camera at risk, this would be a very good option. For someone like me, who only rarely has a need for "extreme sports footage," I know I won't use this all the time, but I'm very happy to have it in my "bag of tricks" because, as I think my little video shows, it's a very versatile camera that can capture some very cool and fairly good quality images and video that could fit nicely into a wide range of different kinds of video projects.
    He has a short video clip in his Amazon review (bottom of the page):
    http://www.amazon.com/Drift-Innovati...8241641&sr=8-1

I'm liking this one more and more...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I use my GoPro 1080 a LOT. Picked it up before the 960 was available.

Only have it set to one of the 720 settings. 1080 was way too much for my poor old laptop to handle.

With a handle bar mount you can kinda snap pics as you ride also.

Taken last week on Hwy 11 near Seattle on the KLRs. I was pretty close to her to get this picture. This will give you an idea of how wide the lens is. The camera was mounted next to the left hand mirror on a KLR650. You can see that it captured my hand guard and a fair chunk of my dash in the picture.

Mounted on the right handle bar facing backwards. You can see how much of me it got in the picture. Keep in mind how close I am to the camera.

No motorcycle vidoes online yet. But here is one taken from just below the rear view mirror (inside the car) at an autocross.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEyZu5WcupI

Have done several others skiing, snowboarding etc. Camera works well.
    Cole
    07 R1 .....now KTM 950 ADV!!!
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

i got a Got a GoPro Hd Hero 1080hd 5.OMP Made my friend buy it with his discount at best buy. The camera was 199 which was the Head and camera set and the handle bar mount was 9 dollars so i think it was an ok buy seeing how they selling retail price 299ish thanks for all the input just gotta wait for the lcd to come in was out of stock when he went and i think ill be all set

hope i like it
    Last edited by AOK303; Fri Jun 17th, 2011 at 12:58 AM.
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

didn't want to start a newn thread so I'm jacking this one I'm looking to buy a go pro or any hero cam that is easy to work with before Friday does anyone know of someone whom is selling one? also if not where is the best place to buy one at a good price and get the gear I need to mount it to the bike.

Best Buy and it will come with mounts for bike an helmet....If you want to tank mount you will need to buy the suction cup
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

You'd clearly be much better off with this.
    http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/3d-hero-system/

Having just purchased a Gopro 960, I have two things to mention that I wish I had known about:

1. You have to purchase video editing software. Add another $50+ for that.

2. The sound can be very crackly without modifications. I added about 8 post-it's (just cut using the sticky part) to the bottom of the camera to make it fit in the case more snuggly and that fixed the crackling.

Pre post-it's modification (audio is horrible):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_4zg6nZ4DY

recording in 480 (audio is NOTfrom GoPro)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MWAsIAaFMU

recording in 720 (audio from GoPro after Post-it's modification)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPwGL5WwT50
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Don't know anyone selling a used one BUT if you end up needing or wanting to buy any of the official accessories. BestBuy has a deal right now where you save 20% when you buy two accessories or 30% if you buy three. For the GoPro stuff the deal doesn't apply on the "fancier" accessories if you buy online but it does in-store. I just picked up the LCD, BatteryPac, and anti-fog inserts for 30% off. Pretty good considering the accessories almost never go on sale.

we have a winner folks I'm going to get this bad boy tomorrow!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/GoPro+-+...&skuId=1421112

That's what I got, it will do what you need...For free video software (not many options but a good first try tool) look up windows movie maker....It might already be on your computer

Quote Originally Posted by VFR View Post
    That's what I got, it will do what you need...For free video software (not many options but a good first try tool) look up windows movie maker....It might already be on your computer
    iPad and MacBook this is a windows free home

lol..I can respect that

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    iPad and MacBook this is a windows free home
    In that case iMovie if you have the iLife suite.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    In that case iMovie if you have the iLife suite.
    looks like I'll be getting that this wknd thanks