Thread: Sweeping

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sweeping

Not sure if this is in the correct area or not...

But I really prefer a push broom, grasping the handle with one hand at the end, and one about 2/3 up the handle...

but seriously now...the point of having someone "sweep" for a group of riders is that there is is an experienced rider at the back, in case the group gets split up: they know the route, incase someone breaks down: they can help fix it, if someone is a newer rider: they have the experience to help that rider hone their skills and become more comfortable on the bike, and while hopefully this is rare...if someone goes down: they can appropriately handle the situation.

I should note that on rides with close-knit groups of people, sweeps are generally not assigned, as everone just kind of does their own thing...I am not talking about these cases.

I am not trying to single anyone out in the slightest, but being slow does not automatically nominate a rider to sweep a ride. Now I am not trying to say people should ride outside their comfort level, and choosing to ride slow to avoid tickets is a different story(and such a rider would probably volunteer to sweep), but if a rider is not comfortable enough on their bike to maintain the speed limit, then they should probably have a better qualified sweeper following them...correct?

Unless I am totally misunderstanding the concept of a sweeper, someone should set me straight.

Discuss.
    Last edited by OUTLAWD; Mon May 30th, 2011 at 02:28 PM.