Thread: Riding Vests

Riding Vests

I bought one for to and from work -4 mile ride on the +85 degree days. Any one else have one or thought about getting one ? Would it be frowned upon on group rides?
    Whatdja learn?

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Re: Riding Vests

Previous comment retracted as I read the above incorrectly.
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Thu Jun 9th, 2011 at 05:35 PM.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

The reason some people don't like it on group rides is because IF you crash and you aren't wearing good gear, their chance of having to deal with an angry bloody person over just an angry person is greater. Generally it's common courtesy to show up in full gear.

IMHO, it doesn't get hot enough in CO to not wear all your gear, but that's just me. It's been hitting 95+ with ridiculous humidity here in AL and I'm still wearing all my gear. It sucks, but I'd rather sweat than bleed. Pretty sure there's also some decent mesh gear out there that should keep you cool. That vest is better than nothing, that's for sure.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Gotcha. I read that completely wrong then. I assumed it was something to go under or over existing gear for extra protection. Not as a stand alone.

Um yea...I retract. :-)

I still think it's a good looking vest. And it does look comfortable. I like it. Just not as stand-alone riding gear. I'm not even gonna say what Bueller hates to hear regarding my ideals on gear, but on a group ride, I would agree that being "polite" is a good idea.
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Thu Jun 9th, 2011 at 06:04 PM.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

If that's what you want to wear then by all means do so, the group rides posted on here are public invite, if they want to be snobby about gear they usually state it. I see guy's show up in jeans and tennis shoes and no one says shit.
    Now when you get in the hills and start getting pelted with rain, hail, grasshoppers, big freakin' prehistoric flying creatures, rocks, small and medium birds, and more rocks then you might want some adequate protection. The temp drops as you gain elevation so there is not a lot of "hot" riding going on in the best of the Colorado roads, and if you get out of Dodge in the early am you don't deal with the heat until you get home.

It gets cooler up in the mountains and I've never minded the heat in black leather while riding. Stopping maybe, but the Under Armour HeatGear is pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    big freakin' prehistoric flying creatures
    Last edited by Vellos; Thu Jun 9th, 2011 at 06:41 PM.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

I have a riding vest, it's a phase change gel vest that I wear under my mesh for those really hot days in August. Keeps me cool for the afternoon commutes. I soak it in cold tap water, and by the end of my 1/2hr commute my shirt's dry.

4 miles? You need cooling, seriously? That's barely enough to break a sweat.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Points taken. I think it was more of a convenience thing to just throw it on and go to work. I was down last summer so I know the importance of good gear.
    very good, carry on.
    Whatdja learn?