Thread: 2008 Kawi Versys

2008 Kawi Versys

Just thought I would share the bike that we built up for Angela. Some people don't like the Versys, some people say it should never be ridden off road, I think both of those groups of people should fuck off. Turns out it's a really nice bike with a peppy motor. I just thought I'd share these photos. If all your going to do is post up about how ugly you think the bike is, please go to another thread and waste it's time.

Starting with a stock Versys, these are the mods we made:
    SW Motech Crash bars
    Sw Motech Skid Plate
    Pro Taper Dirt bike bars
    New grips
    heated grips
    Moose Racing bark buster
    Full lockable/waterproof panniers
    All weather cig adapter
    raised fender
    Michelin Anakee 2 rear tire
    Pirelli MT60 front tire
    ipod remote control
    Custom rear fender

Hope you enjoy! I know we are. We've taken it down to Buena Vista and rode the crap out of it for three days (and four crashes).

Last edited by Sean; Wed Jun 22nd, 2011 at 02:50 PM.

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

Re: 2008 Kawi Versys

Looking good!

Thanks JJ! It's been a lot of time and money getting it to this point, but hopefully well worth it! I'll have more pics after our 3 day Steamboat loop this weekend!

Very cool ride. I always thought they were pretty goofy looking but with your mods, she looks GOOD!

Looks great! I'd ride it.

sweet build. Is that front fender stable with only 1 mounting bolt on each side? I have a similar fender (and tire clearance) on my Uly..
    -Ryan

Eff the haters its awsome.
    A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith and use up a lot of fuel.
    A good rider has balance, judgment, and good timing. So does a good lover.

Thanks guys, We're pretty happy with it too.

Quote Originally Posted by drago52 View Post
    sweet build. Is that front fender stable with only 1 mounting bolt on each side? I have a similar fender (and tire clearance) on my Uly..
    Thanks Ryan! Define "stable"?

It's on there pretty good. I'm sure I'll fab something up with a little time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Thanks Ryan! Define "stable"?
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/stable
    "Resistant to change of position or condition; not easily moved or disturbed"

I asked because the bike normally uses 2 bolts on each side of the fork to fix the fender into position. When you only use 1 bolt on each side, it looks like it would pivot down into the wheel. I use to run the MT60s on my Uly. They were great in the dirt, but wore pretty quickly IMO.
    -Ryan

Gold Member Yearly Supporter

Under water basket weaving pays well I see.(care of Zach) I like it! How comfy is it for 300-500 mile days?
    2015 R1200GS
    03 & 11 XR-50 pit bike
    07 & 08 DRZ 400SM
    06 FJR 1300
    70 SL 350
    75 MT 250

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

That bike looks like it has Downs Syndrome, and doesn't realize you're making it break child labor laws.

~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/stable
    "Resistant to change of position or condition; not easily moved or disturbed"

I asked because the bike normally uses 2 bolts on each side of the fork to fix the fender into position. When you only use 1 bolt on each side, it looks like it would pivot down into the wheel. I use to run the MT60s on my Uly. They were great in the dirt, but wore pretty quickly IMO.
    Smartass!

I did ALOT of research on these tires. It's got a 17" front, which really limits your options to supermoto or straight street (no good DS options). Hopefully it'll wear well on the front? I know the rears go pretty quickly, which is why I put the Anakee 2 on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by sloridr View Post
    Under water basket weaving pays well I see.(care of Zach) I like it! How comfy is it for 300-500 mile days?
    Basket weaving doesn't pay shit, that's why I have a sugar momma! It's a really comfy bike, you sit pretty upright. And it's fairly peppy in the canyons with the parallel twin.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    That bike looks like it has Downs Syndrome, and doesn't realize you're making it break child labor laws.
    There's always one in the crowd.

I just put a set of Pirelli Scorpion Trail DS tires on. I don't think they will do as well in the dirt as yours, but I'm hoping they will last the full trip to Alaska/Pacific Coast and back. What size rear tire do you run? I can't fit an Anakee 2 on mine (180/55zr17).
    -Ryan

looks good -- a lot better than stock.

I just put a set of Pirelli Scorpion Trail DS tires on. I don't think they will do as well in the dirt as yours, but I'm hoping they will last the full trip to Alaska/Pacific Coast and back. What size rear tire do you run? I can't fit an Anakee 2 on mine (180/55zr17).
    I've got 5K miles on a set of Pirelli Scorpions on my Duc. They are wearing all right. I'm not planning on swapping them out before heading to CA next month.

They do fairly well on dirt roads, but are very slippery in the mud. Excellent wet weather performance. If you're planning on sticking to the main roads in AK, they should do just fine for you. I'd be looking for alternatives if you're going to be doing a lot of true dual sport type riding.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Normally it's a 160/60-17 but the Anakee 2 doesn't come in that size. So I put a 150/70-17 on instead. Works great. The only time these tires don't handle great, is in mud and deep/soft sand. Even in normal sand they are pretty stable once you get it up to 40mph.

Quote Originally Posted by taikahn View Post
    looks good -- a lot better than stock.
    Thanks!

Nice work Sean!
    Elden (The Superchink) MRA #415 / AFM #102

Do you want to take your riding to the next level?
    http://chicanetrackdays.com/

Unique Track Day event to benefit children!!!
    http://www.racing2savelives.org/

Ahahahahahahaha
    Chris

There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

It is really an anomaly. That bike looks like it would be terrible and boring to ride, but it won bike of the year, and every person I have ever talked to says its the best bike ever. I would def consider it when I get to the sport touring stage of my riding.

Quote Originally Posted by 60pan View Post
    Nice work other than the red it looks excellent. I have the ninja 650r & a pile of parts to do the same...then I lost intrest & went BMW. I think you have a great low maintenance bike, 8300mi on mine & I have tried to break it. itsa good bike. have fun!
    We would have rather gone with an F800GS, but our pockets weren't that deep.

Quote Originally Posted by eklew View Post
    Nice work Sean!
    Hey, who is this guy? What are you doing on a Colorado board?

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    It is really an anomaly. That bike looks like it would be terrible and boring to ride, but it won bike of the year, and every person I have ever talked to says its the best bike ever. I would def consider it when I get to the sport touring stage of my riding.
    I don't know if I'd agree with the idea that it's the best bike ever. But it does what we need it to do.

Quote Originally Posted by 60pan View Post
    yep I'm doubleing my monthly payment making the change but I'm just not motivating any more with this bike....you'll feel better at the end of summer watching the V get a beatdown instead of a pricey f800....

have you thought about the 19" vstrom wheel in front? I have 1 & some other versys parts if you want to check it out sometime.
    Yeah, I've watched my buddy Bodhizafa beat the hell out of his 800. Then again, my KTM 950 wasn't real cheap either. Oh well, that's what you do with them, right?

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    I'd be looking for alternatives if you're going to be doing a lot of true dual sport type riding.
    Good to know. Yeah, I'm not planning on doing any true dual sport, but there is a chance we may ride a couple hundred miles on dirt/gravel roads, so something other than the PR2s would be better. I think when I get back, I'll put on some true-er DS tires... or get a DRZ.
    -Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Yeah, I've watched my buddy Bodhizafa beat the hell out of his 800. Then again, my KTM 950 wasn't real cheap either. Oh well, that's what you do with them, right?
    The F800 and KTM 950 are sick bikes. It's a tough problem trying to build a bike that can handle long hauls and also off-road. Need power, low weight, high ground clearance, comfort, storage capacity, etc. etc. I'd think those are probably the top-tier for long haul DS bikes. It's too bad they are so expensive!
    -Ryan

The F800 and KTM 950 are sick bikes. It's a tough problem trying to build a bike that can handle long hauls and also off-road. Need power, low weight, high ground clearance, comfort, storage capacity, etc. etc. I'd think those are probably the top-tier for long haul DS bikes. It's too bad they are so expensive!
    Sell the Uly, but a 950. Drink the orange kool-aid....