Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banning Motorcycles?

(formerly "ABATEStateCoord") THoward's Avatar

Banning Motorcycles?

This was quite an interesting read. There are really a lot of stupid people in this world.
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/citylink...,4414821.story
    Terry

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

Re: Banning Motorcycles?

:facepalm:
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

"This deathtrap, of course, is the motorcycle, and it’s time for the grownups to take a stand and say enough is enough."

Are you fucking serious???

There are so many flaws in this statement i cant even comprehend how hard this dumbass that wrote this article was dropped on their head when they were a child!

Yeah, sorry. I can't take a writer seriously when he stills uses his aol email address as his contact email.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

It would be interesting to know what fraction of those 72/10^5 deaths were caused by someone other than the rider, i.e. inattentive car drivers. If it's more than 14/10^5, then we need to ban cars. But, 14 is too high too. All life is valuable and if we ban cars, then we save 40,000+ lives a year.

/sarcasm
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

What a schmuck. Im going to go ahead and perceive this as satire.
    06 CBR600RR
    7:319/0319

Obviously this person was rejected by a girl would rode off on the back of some others bike...

MRA Racer No.427

I think it's pretty easy to see that this person is a complete tool who has a problem with bikes for whatever reason.

If you follow the logic that he has set forth then there are a lot of things on the list of of things we need to ban before motorcycles reach the top. Unfortunately, he has an issue and a place to post his stupid thoughts. Lucky for us, that simply posting his stupid ideas do not make them any more right.
    www.onthemarcphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    It would be interesting to know what fraction of those 72/10^5 deaths were caused by someone other than the rider, i.e. inattentive car drivers. If it's more than 14/10^5, then we need to ban cars. But, 14 is too high too. All life is valuable and if we ban cars, then we save 40,000+ lives a year.

/sarcasm
    The last study done (2009 iirc) showed 53% of MC fatalities were single-unit (as in MC only) crashes.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

What if this vehicle produced 11 percent of all driving fatalities, effectively erasing gains made from years of declining motor-vehicle deaths? Would you want to drive that vehicle? Would you want your loved ones to drive it?
    I looked at the Census Bureau data here, in particular the summary of fatal accidents. Comparing the numbers from 1990 and 2008, here's what we see

The number of people killed in passenger cars has pretty steadily decreased from 24,092 to 14,587, a decrease of 9,505. So, did motorcycle deaths "effectively erase" that improvement? Motorcycle deaths went from 3,104 to 5040, an increase of 2026. No, motorcyclist deaths do not "effectively erase" improvements in motor vehicle deaths. Not even close. Note that light trucks went from 8,601 deaths to 10,764 deaths, a 2,163 death increase, essentially the same increase as for motorcycles, and that still doesn't make up half of the improvements in cars.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Beautiful....

askmrjesus at 1:03 PM June 22, 2011 Dear Mr. Curran,

If you are truly interested in public safety, one would think you would be more focused on the leading cause of death in this country: Obesity.

Now Hugh, I've seen your photo, and lets face it, you're a fatty pants. Your cholesterol level is much more likely to end up costing the public money, than all motorcyclists combined. We are, you see, a very small minority in the US, whereas as you, and your doughnut loving friends, are bankrupting the healthcare system, simply because you don't have the discipline to pass up a Baskin Robins every once in a while.

Of course, that also explains your problem with motorcycles. It's hard to stuff a Whopper into your saggy jowls, while riding one.

The solution seems clear: It's time to ban fat people. Specifically, fat people with online degrees in "journalism", who write articles that are meant to create controversy, rather than be of any informative value.

But wait, that would infringe on your right to stuff your face behind the wheel, while not paying attention to the road, and that, of course, is what America is all about; the freedom from personal responsibility.

I'll cut this short. It's close to lunch time, and I know the KFC down the street from your little cubby hole, has an all you can eat deal this week.

Bon Appetite.

JC
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Maybe we should ban stupid people. Starting with stupid journalists.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Put it into raw numbers and you have a whole different picture - for more people die in cars than on motorcycles each year.

The real problem here isn't the motorcycle. It's driver education (for both bikes and cars).

Better driver education = a significant decrease in traffic accidents in general.

I've participated in adventure / risk activities my whole adult (and adolecent) life. In every activity I've been a part of the highest risk participants are the "mid time" folks. Experienced enough to get into a lot of trouble - not experienced enough to either avoid it or get out of it.

This pattern has held true for all of the follwing in my experience:

1) Skydiving
    2) Mountaineering
    3) SCUBA
    4) Climbing (rock / ice)
    5) Motorcycle riding / racing

More time / experience / training = lower death rates on the road.

s

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Beautiful....

askmrjesus at 1:03 PM June 22, 2011 Dear Mr. Curran,

If you are truly interested in public safety, one would think you would be more focused on the leading cause of death in this country: Obesity.

Now Hugh, I've seen your photo, and lets face it, you're a fatty pants. Your cholesterol level is much more likely to end up costing the public money, than all motorcyclists combined. We are, you see, a very small minority in the US, whereas as you, and your doughnut loving friends, are bankrupting the healthcare system, simply because you don't have the discipline to pass up a Baskin Robins every once in a while.

Of course, that also explains your problem with motorcycles. It's hard to stuff a Whopper into your saggy jowls, while riding one.

The solution seems clear: It's time to ban fat people. Specifically, fat people with online degrees in "journalism", who write articles that are meant to create controversy, rather than be of any informative value.

But wait, that would infringe on your right to stuff your face behind the wheel, while not paying attention to the road, and that, of course, is what America is all about; the freedom from personal responsibility.

I'll cut this short. It's close to lunch time, and I know the KFC down the street from your little cubby hole, has an all you can eat deal this week.

Bon Appetite.

JC
    Ha! The best retort ever! Great job...

Board Newbie

I can tell you, I had bought my bike with no intention of taking a MSF course just to save dough. I did end up taking the course and I truly believe that over Memorial weekend, it save my life. I hit the HOV lanes that were open to northbound traffic, as soon as I crested that first hill there is a drunk in the lanes, going south. Because I was scanning, I was able to see him coming, and swerve to the open lane. Usually it isn't the guy or gal on the bike, it's the motorist who knows their vehicle will definitely win that confrontation.

Ignorance is bliss.
    A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith and use up a lot of fuel.
    A good rider has balance, judgment, and good timing. So does a good lover.

WOW this guy has NO clue!
    Well done is better than well said. - Benjamin Franklin

Was gonna type a reply, but the arguments used in the article are so weak - it's not even worth it... .

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Put it into raw numbers and you have a whole different picture - for more people die in cars than on motorcycles each year.

The real problem here isn't the motorcycle. It's driver education (for both bikes and cars) ...

s

It still amazes me that Americans let 16-year-olds out on the road with little to no formal driver education. In Germany, a driver’s license costs over $2000 and requires a minimum of 25-45 hours of professional instruction plus 12 hours of theory.

Perhaps if America adopted similar rules, drivers here would learn how to stay to the right except to pass and what it means when the vehicle behind you flashes their high beams. Who knows? If people learned how to drive properly, maybe we could even raise the speed limit a little in wide-open flat lands like Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, and Texas.

Imagine if people knew how to safely drive at Autobahn speeds on American interstate highways. It would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja2 View Post
    Was gonna type a reply, but the arguments used in the article are so weak - it's not even worth it... .
    This sad "journalist" seems to want to wallow in his ignorance and poor arguments without knowing anything about the subject.

I think everyone here (and those who posted comments on his article) have already said most everything I'd want to say.

The "article" is laughable.
    '09 Duc Monster 696
    '00 Suz SV650 (Dad's, garaged with mine)
    I like mountains because they make me feel small.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanatos View Post
    It still amazes me that Americans let 16-year-olds out on the road with little to no formal driver education. In Germany, a driver’s license costs over $2000 and requires a minimum of 25-45 hours of professional instruction plus 12 hours of theory.

Perhaps if America adopted similar rules, drivers here would learn how to stay to the right except to pass and what it means when the vehicle behind you flashes their high beams. Who knows? If people learned how to drive properly, maybe we could even raise the speed limit a little in wide-open flat lands like Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, and Texas.

Imagine if people knew how to safely drive at Autobahn speeds on American interstate highways. It would be awesome.
    I blame cup holders...

MRA Racer No.427

In Japan I had a bike just to have a bike in Japan, but I never actually needed it to get anywhere I wanted to go (cleanly and efficiently).
    In my short time in Germany, I had no vehicle, and just used mass transit and got everywhere I ever needed to go (cleanly and efficiently).

Germany, like Japan and most other First World/European countries, has a clean, efficient, reliable and heavily-used mass transit system. Cars are an alternative means of transportation, but not the only one.

Thus, you can have stricter requirements, and make it more of a Privilege than a Right and it doesn't really affect anyone's ability to live their lives.

Here, by design, cars are a necessity, and Mass Transit is more of a half-hearted joke than anything resembling the infrastructures in most modern (and much smaller) countries.

Requiring $2,000 in training isn't feasible--not unless you're willing to subsidize the poor who can't afford it but need to get a license to get to work/school/daycare, etc.

If you just imposed a new requirement for $2,000 worth of training (which, I agree would improve road safety) you'd be causing more harm than good to most people who drive.

Plus you'd have to spend a whole bunch of money to design and develop the standardized testing and secure qualified trainers (who would also have to be certified--which would require more validation, and thus, more money)...

Then, as much as I would *LOVE* to have unrestricted highway speeds, think of all the various interstate regulations that THAT would entail...and the nightmare of paperwork, certification of road safety, and road maintenance/construction costs...the Autobahn is one of the world's most maintained and thus most expensive highway systems in the world--it's also strictly monitored and policed for infractions. And, even it gets congestion and clogs and idiot drivers hogging the left lane to pass someone at 2 mph more...

Again, it's a great dream, just not feasible/practical in implementation...unless we take all the $$ that goes overseas and decide to spend it here instead--and we all know that won't happen...
    Last edited by Ghost; Thu Jun 23rd, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I agree.
    They practically give out D.L.'s in cracker jack boxes here. If it were harder to get one, the lowest common denominator laws we have would be much easier to raise a peg or two.
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Ghost makes a good point too....

Maybe there's a middle ground here?
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6