Thread: Crack filling on 67 towards Deckers

Crack filling on 67 towards Deckers

I was out there today. Hadn't been down that road in a month even though I live in Woodland Park. The section starts just after Rainbow falls and continues North past the turn into Westcreek.

It looks like they just filled all the cracks in a 6 mile section with the black goo. CDOT had a sign up warning motorcycles. The stuff was pretty wiggly feeling and creeped me out.

This might be old news, if so please disregard.

Re: Crack filling on 67 towards Deckers

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post

It looks like they just filled all the cracks in a 6 mile section with the black goo. CDOT had a sign up warning motorcycles. The stuff was pretty wiggly feeling and creeped me out.
    They're called Tar Snakes!!!!

They're doing the same up on Squaw Pass.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

hit a few snakes on 34 yesterday that caught me by surprise

Even the tar snakes up near my house are greasy in these temperatures.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Those tar snakes towards Deckers are not recent. They started putting those down about two months ago. While I understand motorcyclists are warned by an <<use extreme caution sign>> I am scared to even do the speed limit, causing a traffic delay.

Whoever allowed this to be done is recklessly endangering the safety of motorcyclists - and I am not trying to cute here.

I hit those tar snakes and my rider just about freaked out and dumped us because of the "wiggle". Even though I expected it, she didnt. They can be very dangerous and I was even under the speed limit. Wish they would fix it the correct way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja2 View Post
    Those tar snakes towards Deckers are not recent. They started putting those down about two months ago. While I understand motorcyclists are warned by an <<use extreme caution sign>> I am scared to even do the speed limit, causing a traffic delay.

Whoever allowed this to be done is recklessly endangering the safety of motorcyclists - and I am not trying to cute here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achupernt View Post
    I hit those tar snakes and my rider just about freaked out and dumped us because of the "wiggle". Even though I expected it, she didnt. They can be very dangerous and I was even under the speed limit. Wish they would fix it the correct way.

The "correct" way is expensive and takes time...thus, we get tar snakes and, if we're lucky, that idiotic sign...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    The "correct" way is expensive and takes time...thus, we get tar snakes and, if we're lucky, that idiotic sign...
    Ironically, here is CDOT's mission and vision:

CDOT's Vision:

To enhance the quality of life and the environment of the citizens of Colorado by creating an integrated transportation system that focuses on safely moving people and goods by offering convenient linkages among modal choices.

CDOT's Mission:

To provide the best multi-modal transportation system for Colorado that most effectively and safely moves people, goods, and information.

I recommend contacting their Safety and Engineering Division - and wonder if it makes sense for us to contact them as a group or as individuals:
    Safety and Traffic Engineering Branch
    4201 East Arkansas Avenue, EP700
    Denver, Colorado 80222
    303.757-9543
    303.757-9219 (Fax)

Tar snaking cracks is quick and cheap, as opposed to chip sealing and repaving. I doubt anyone at CDOT is going to give it a second thought in this age of cutbacks and cost reduction. I have a friend in CDOT (Durango) that I might try to get some info on who might be in charge at the state level.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Tar snaking cracks is quick and cheap, as opposed to chip sealing and repaving. I doubt anyone at CDOT is going to give it a second thought in this age of cutbacks and cost reduction. I have a friend in CDOT (Durango) that I might try to get some info on who might be in charge at the state level.
    That would be great. While I do understand the cutback and cost reduction situation across the entire state, counties and cities, I think not voicing my opinion makes this an even lower priority for years to come even if/when there will be money.

Ironically, here is CDOT's mission and vision:

CDOT's Vision:

To enhance the quality of life and the environment of the citizens of Colorado by creating an integrated transportation system that focuses on safely moving people and goods by offering convenient linkages among modal choices.
    Silly girl, motorcyclists aren't people!

~Hunter S. Thompson

Uhm, even if a bit crazy, I consider myself a person... .

BTW - here the org chart: http://www.coloradodot.info/about/executive-director
    Also, the Exec Director is appointed by the Governor. Hickenlooper appointed Hunt. At a minimum, I would think Mr. Hickenlooper would care, since motorcyclists are voters, even if a small %-age of the overall population.

yep a few miles of good road covered with that stuff. a week ago it stopped were they strarted the new road by the river. sucks.

I went up that way about 2 months ago and they were there. I have never seen a road repair so slippery in my life. I was at a crawl going through that whole area. Very dangerous for sure.

// MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

Am learning to love the Deckers ride, save for those snakes They really mess with my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite675 View Post
    Very dangerous for sure.
    Especially in this heat.

...or the cold...

...or the wet...

...or at (legal/posted) speed...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Christ almightly. The snakes are not THAT bad. My drz only got wiggly above 80 on them.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Christ almightly. The snakes are not THAT bad. My drz only got wiggly above 80 on them.
    Lol. I am sick and tired of these motha fuckin snakes, on my motha fuckin roads.

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    Lol. I am sick and tired of these motha fuckin snakes, on my motha fuckin roads.

DOES HIGHWAY 67 LOOK LIKE A BITCH?
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

I agree!!! and yes you are cute here, there and every where!!! You just can't help yourself!!! Guess whos back!!!!
    I just go really really fast and I don't even noitce them....or you can find another road to ride and start a letter writing campane, stage a sit in, and let's see, what else did we do for protesting back in the 60's,,,hmmmm...oh yeah,, and burn our bras.
    Last edited by GSXRJOHNNY; Thu Jun 30th, 2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: addition

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Once I switched to the Q2s I hardly notice them, unless it's ungodly hot out, or they are new.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    that idiotic sign...
    That warning sign "eliminates" legal and moral liability. How dare you wreck when we were curt enough to erect a sign washing our hands of your problem? You should have known better.

Signed,
    Colorado DOT
    2011 BMW S1000RR
    Sitting peacefully in storage

2003 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) trackbike (sold), 2004 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold), 2004 Yamaha YZF-R6 trackbike (sold), 2006 Yamaha YZF-R6s (sold), 1999 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja (sold), 1998 Honda CBR600F3(TOTALED) 1989 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja(TOTALED)

That's a shame.

Hwy 67 (the twisty parts just past the cemetery) was my favorite ride.