Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day Trip to the Black Canyon

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Day Trip to the Black Canyon

A couple of years ago I took a day off and went on a relaxing all-day ride. Because of a crazy work schedule last summer, I didn't get to do one last year. Yesterday I decided to head out to see the Black Canyon. When I left the house, civil twilight had just begun. After avoiding a skunk and later, a coyote chasing breakfast across the highway, I pulled over and watched the Sun come up.

Nice scenery in the valley after Kenosha Pass:

Near Buena Vista

At the Curecanti rec area, you see the south end of the canyon:

Then a few more miles up the road, you get to the south entrance of the National Park. Unfortunately, they were repaving the road so I go to wait about 25 minutes in the heat, but at least they didn't charge the entrance fee. My pictures of the canyon simply cannot do justice to what you see with the eye. The walls of the canyon are vertical and reach nearly 3000 feet. For those of you who have ridden PMP, that's about the length of the main straightaway.

I only spent a couple of hours there but there are many hiking trails and you could easily spend the whole day taking in the amazing sights.

This was the original ride plan:

but a huge thunderstorm developed to the southeast behind me as I was coming up 133 to Carbondale. It clearly was not a good idea to head down 82 towards Aspen into the heart of the storm, so I decided to head north to I-70 and slab it back home.

I still got into the outer parts of the storm up until about Gypsum. Going down the tunnel just east of Glenwood Springs, I could see the rain going sideways across the highway. I thought "Oh, boy" and when I exited the tunnel, it felt like a semi hit me. It was good that I was ready for it, because it might have blown me right off the road. It would have been really nasty trying to go over a mountain pass in the central part of the storm. And I-70 out that way is pretty scenic. I mean, it's not like going up I-75 through the middle of Florida.

Despite some rain and annoying crosswinds on the highway, it was a great day of riding. I covered 603 miles in 14 hours or so.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Re: Day Trip to the Black Canyon

Nice ride!

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

<jealous
    Thanks for posting though, Dirk! Nice pics.
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Nice trip report and photos. Thank you!

I've hit a dangerous rainstorm near the Glenwood Canyon tunnel, too. Lightning had started striking the canyon walls above me, though the rain hadn't begun yet. The wild downpour held off just until the moment I emerged from the canyon, and then I had to pull over in Glenwood Springs and wait. It can be crazy out there!!

Based on experience, my favorite part of your route is from Carbondale to Paonia. Too bad CO82 was still stormy.
    '09 Duc Monster 696
    '00 Suz SV650 (Dad's, garaged with mine)
    I like mountains because they make me feel small.

Great pics, Dirk!
    I don't think I've ever been there. It's now on the list of places to stop! Do you take 347 off of 50?

Did you get home around 7:30ish (I don't know the exact time)? I was riding my bicycle south on 95th. And as soon as I crossed Arapahoe, I thought I saw you on your VFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Great pics, Dirk!
    I don't think I've ever been there. It's now on the list of places to stop! Do you take 347 off of 50?
    Yep, that's it. You really can't miss the big sign for the park though. Chatting with a couple from Alabama at one point, they said they thought the view from the north rim was better. The road is dirt the last few miles but it sounded like it was hard-packed so even street bikes shouldn't have any trouble with it. If I had had more time, I would have checked it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Did you get home around 7:30ish (I don't know the exact time)? I was riding my bicycle south on 95th. And as soon as I crossed Arapahoe, I thought I saw you on your VFR.
    Yep, that was me.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

AKA "Devaclis"

Man that is a beautiful ride. Ninja and I were in that area a couple of years ago on an epic all day ride. I really want to go back.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by aerofaze View Post
    Nice trip report and photos. Thank you!

I've hit a dangerous rainstorm near the Glenwood Canyon tunnel, too. Lightning had started striking the canyon walls above me, though the rain hadn't begun yet. The wild downpour held off just until the moment I emerged from the canyon, and then I had to pull over in Glenwood Springs and wait. It can be crazy out there!!
    Yeah, you have to be ready for just about anything, especially late in the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by aerofaze View Post
    Based on experience, my favorite part of your route is from Carbondale to Paonia. Too bad CO82 was still stormy.
    Yeah, that was a very pretty section of countryside.

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Man that is a beautiful ride. Ninja and I were in that area a couple of years ago on an epic all day ride. I really want to go back.
    I'll definitely go back. There were places where I wished I could wave a wand and turn the VFR into the XR for a little while. Sean's probably got the perfect bike for doing this kind of ride.

--Thomas Jefferson

Some fantastic pictures! Sounds like a good ride.
    MRA #88
    Keeping it midpack since 2010!

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Yeah, you have to be ready for just about anything, especially late in the afternoon.
    Oh, and I forgot to mention the tree that had fallen over and covered the entire righthand lane of I-70 just before I got to Gypsum.

--Thomas Jefferson

very nice... looks like a great day trip
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I need to do a trip like that. It's been too long. Salsa how about you let me borrow that multistrada for a weekend
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Sure... but the security deposit's a monster!

That and I have to get it out of the shop as well
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Pics are amazing. Thanks for sharing. More amazing, the fact you had time to take them, considering the trip was 603 miles. Sounds like you had a great time.

Good stuff Dirk! Looks like a fun trip.

Jello-c. Looks like a great ride. I did those roads but have yet to try the north rim of the black canyon yet
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Awesome ride. If somebody puts something like this together again for this season, PM me or something.

<---- Needs a fleet of different motorcycles.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post

+1

I think 5-10 should cover it...

Still, that's an awesome ride & great pics!
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Awesome ride. If somebody puts something like this together again for this season, PM me or something.

Yea that's pretty much the ride Bashed does for the Firecracker 5hun

Thanks Bueller, I had been reading that thread, but I'll check it out now.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I'll be doing more rides of this type. This one was a "just me" ride on purpose but I'll be happy to do some group rides subject to certain conditions, mainly that I either know you and how you ride or people that I trust vouch for you. (No problem for you Brandon, for example.)

These are all-day, scenery rides with stops for photography, etc., not hauling ass every second on the bike. That's not to say that wicking it up a bit in appropriate spots doesn't happen, but these rides are for going and seeing things. I'm now planning something down south to see the Highway of Legends...

--Thomas Jefferson

These types of rides don't happen too frequently, if you're a 9 to 5'er like most people are. I did a few of these back in the day. One very memorable one with Clickity_Jeff Ninja and Big-J.. others.

Then there were the trips that Gramps and the original "Northies" used to put together. I think I even set one up one time, where we super-slabbed it up to Fort Collins, did the Poudre all the way out to Walden, and then back down the B-Side twisties.

Day trips and dawn-to-dusk stuff like this, are the rides that make or break your whole appreciation for it all.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Nice ride and photo's...Highway of Legends? Looking it up!
    Ahh Trinidad, that's a nice haul!
    Last edited by VFR; Thu Jun 30th, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)