Thread: My Long-Ass MotoGP 2011 ride

My Long-Ass MotoGP 2011 ride

Days: 8 (5 Riding / 3 @ MotoGP)
    Mileage: 3100'sh
    Route: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...7b8d0e0d&msa=0

Day 1 - Denver, CO to Tonopah, NV - 866 miles
    Ahhh, day 1 of the big trip. Bike's packed up, I'm out the door nice and early (ok, I actually got a later start than I wanted). Hit the road at 4:30 am. Hit the ground running and continued straight through the day. By the time I go to Tonopah, the camel back was empty, I was hot and tired and the margarita I ordered at dinner was magnificent!

Utah, before the blazes of Hell opened up!

A couple of notable ride throughs... from here on out, the desire to document every turn fell off exponentially as the temps rose. It's a very scenic ride and the boredom of straight desert roads are broken up with nice little twisty sections in hidden canyons.

I didn't take this pic, but I was there so what the hell.
    I rode the Extraterrestrial Highway... Move along, nothing to see here.

One more thing... If you ever decide to ride out this way, mind your fuel! The roads are long and straight and beg for triple digit speeds, but at 170+ miles between gas stops, you'd better be damned sure you can make it. I had to dial back the speeds severely the last 50 miles. I fueled up in Tonopah - 4.9 gallons in a 5.3 gallon tank. That's as close as I ever want to come to running out.

Day 2 - Tonopah, NV to Salinas, CA - 411 miles
    Otherwise known as the morning of OMG!!! The morning was beautiful, the roads were empty and Yosemite beckoned. Heading into the east side of Yosemite was amazing. Twisty two lane roads through mile after mile of forests without any sign of beetle kill. It was so choice! If I had to choose between Yosemite and Yellowstone, I would go back to Yellowstone, but it was a beautiful day of riding.

I dropped out of the mountains and from Yosemite Junction all the way to the San Luis Reservoir just plain sucked. It was hot, flat, and smelled of cabbage. Occasionally there was a strawberry patch or garlic patch to break up the monotony, but mostly cabbage... it was no fun.

After that, I dropped down into the Monterey Valley (or whatever geological feature it is) and the ocean air swept in brought the temps back down from 102 to 68... All within about twenty miles. It felt really nice!

Again, sorry, no pics. I was too busy riding and enjoying life in Yosemite and riding and hating life after...

Day 3,4,5 - GP TIME!!! Mileage unknown
    Welcome to another misty Leguna morning

The future sounds cool... I really enjoyed watching the e-power race

Let's not give Clear Creek County any ideas

Colorado representing

Saturday Morning Practice at the corkscrew

The new Buell!!! One sexy carbon beast

CSC Dinner
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Re: My Long-Ass MotoGP 2011 ride

Race on the Row - bike night at Cannery Row

Bad camera phone pic

The Motus guys are very cool. I hope they succeed. That bike looks and sounds great.

This paint caught my eye

Ready for the big event

Day 6 - Salinas, CA to Eureka, CA - 409 miles
    Races over, time to head north. I took off around 9:00 to avoid rush hour traffic and tolls on the Golden Gate Bridge. A ways outside of Salinas is where I had what some might call a baptism of fire in the lane sharing world. Traffic ground to a halt on the 101 so I jumped in with both feet and wormed my way through 10 or so miles of stop & go. It's amazing to be in an area where cagers are conscientious and aware of motorcyclists. They would get out of your way and let you through. I couldn't even imagine doing that here... not with all the "this here be my lane" drivers... but we'll leave that debate for another thread.

Mandatory photo op

The rest of my day consisted of mile after mile of PCH. It was amazing, tiring, breathtaking, you name it... there's probably going to be an "ing" at the end.

Lunch stop was in Gualala, CA at Bones Roadhouse... I could smell the smoker from the road and it was a must stop. They have a great smoked turkey sandwich. Any guess how they chose to decorate?
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

I got into Eureka around 9pm and immediately sought out sustenance! Which came in the form of ten tasty little friends.

If you're ever out in Eureka, check out the Lost Coast Brewery. They have some great beers. Unfortunately, they don't distribute in CO (yet).

Day 7 - Eureka, CA to Elko, NV - 632 miles
    From Eureka to Redding was an amazing morning ride. Dense forest, more twisty roads, and only the occasional construction slow up. Highway 299 came highly recommended by some local riders I met and it truly didn't disappoint.

One more thing to do before leaving CA...

...probably not the best idea before riding several hundred miles in 90+ degree heat, but it sure was good.

Day 8 - Elko, NV to Denver, CO - 761 miles
    Time to get the HELL out of Elko. If you've ever had the great fortune of staying in Elko, then you already know what I'm talking about. Anyways, no picture taking, it's time to go home.

Niiiice. That Monster's paint job is kinda cute, though I don't think I'll be doing that to mine anytime soon. And the 10 tasty little friends towards the end there look delicious. Fun to see all the other CSC riders out there, too.

Anyway, wow. Salsa, your trip reports have always been excellent. Glad you made it home safe!!
    '09 Duc Monster 696
    '00 Suz SV650 (Dad's, garaged with mine)
    I like mountains because they make me feel small.

Good report. Looked like a great trip.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Looks like a solid trip!

Epic! Glad you got home safely.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

<---Jealous. Looks like it was a blast.

Leaving for a trip similar to this on Wednesday (much jealously by the way!). Where did you fill up prior to Tonopah? I was looking at a little town called Ash Springs which according to google is 154 miles. That's the edge of my range at normal speeds much less triple digits.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Nice meeting up with you in Cali!
    Maria
    2009 Street Triple

Quote Originally Posted by Nvr2late View Post
    +1 on what she said.

Your ride was certainly an adventure. I would like a ride like this as well. A ride built around a destination such as the MotoGP race. We will be riding the the first Moto race in Austin. That will hopefully be an adventure as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joew4505 View Post
    Leaving for a trip similar to this on Wednesday (much jealously by the way!). Where did you fill up prior to Tonopah? I was looking at a little town called Ash Springs which according to google is 154 miles. That's the edge of my range at normal speeds much less triple digits.
    I filled up in Caliente - 192 miles to Tonopah. At highway speeds, I can eek out just over 200 miles before I get nervous.

I think Ash Springs is your best bet. Unless you go around the south side of Area 51. The roads are very straight and very flat between Caliente and Tonopah. Also, watch out for the last 30 or so miles going into Tonopah, they were doing chip seal, so it really slowed me down (and probably saved my ass )

Quote Originally Posted by Nvr2late View Post
    It was a lot of fun... thanks for letting me scoot in along the fence!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCBX View Post
    +1 on what she said.

Your ride was certainly an adventure. I would like a ride like this as well. A ride built around a destination such as the MotoGP race. We will be riding the the first Moto race in Austin. That will hopefully be an adventure as well.
    Keep me posted on that adventure!
    Last edited by salsashark; Mon Aug 1st, 2011 at 07:40 PM.

Awesome trip... Great write up.

Epic

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCBX View Post
    +1 on what she said.

Oh yeah, I'm totally looking forward to that trip.. As well as a stop at http://schlitterbahn.net/nb/
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by BC14 View Post
    Oh yeah, I'm totally looking forward to that trip.. As well as a stop at http://schlitterbahn.net/nb/
    Schlitterbahn is definitely part of the Austin MotoGP trip.

Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).