Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well i think im out of the game for awhile..

Well i think im out of the game for awhile..

My last ride i made a mistake and it has really made me think...

I think im done with motorcycles until i can think clearly enough to not make continuous poor decisions.. i have been very lucky.

All that aside here is why im posting..

My bikes front fairing is destroyed, the headlight is gone, the front fairing stay is gone and the tank has a small dent / some rash.

I am looking to sell the bike at this point ( 02 cbr600 F4i ) and am wondering if i should sell it broken ( rideable, i took it from golden to aurora the day of the crash no problem ) or if i should fix it up as cheap as possible to re-sell.

What do you guys think? How much money do you think i stand to lose if i dont fix it up?

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Re: Well i think im out of the game for awhile..

sorrynto hear you went down...I wouldn't give up riding all together if it were me but I respect that your doing what's best for you.

in regards to the bike just get some cheap plastics and a headlight and throw em on if your not strapped for cash you have time to fix it up and make some money.

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    sorrynto hear you went down...I wouldn't give up riding all together if it were me but I respect that your doing what's best for you.

in regards to the bike just get some cheap plastics and a headlight and throw em on if your not strapped for cash you have time to fix it up and make some money.
    Ill be buying a decently fun car with the sale of all my riding stuff ( looking at 2g eclipse GSX AWDs )

Im leaning towards putting an unpainted delkevic on the front and just trying to find a headlight and stay, oh and right mirror lol.

The bike does have quite a few extras on it as well.

Probably best off just parting it out, it's the most labor intensive way to go but it'll net you the best money.

If all the goodies aren't damaged +1 to parting it out.

Glad I met you before you decided this. Good luck.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

I have thought about parting it out as well but i am incredibly inpatient, i dont have the money to buy the car without the sale of both my bikes and my gear ( unless i can find a dealership with one so i can trade my current car in! )

I would kind of hate to part it out because its got a power commander with custom map ( picked the bike up from faster and crashed it 45 minutes later lol! )

I guess i am looking for a quick sale and wouldnt mind taking a small loss, thanks for all the input guys.

Oh and Vellos, i think about our rides often man it was always a good time, i just have too much going on in my life to be able to operate a motorcycle safely these days.

Sell it as is as a track bike candidate, or eBay plastics and parts, or strip it down as a streetfighter. Although in the long run, if you aren't making smart / safe decisions on the bike it's best not to ride till you can.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

F4i's are great stunt bike candidates. I would check with the local stunnaz and see if any of them want to pick it up. Expect not to get more than 2,000 from it though.

I have thought about going the track / stunt bike route, 2k is a bit lower than id like to get for all the mods i have on it.

I guess ill throw it up here and on craigslist in its current condition and see what kind of offers i get, ill also be calling steeles tomorrow to see if they have any cheapo parts.

Sorry to hear you went down.

I personally would put the money into fixing it to a presentable, 100% ridable state because you'd be able to turn it around easier. A damaged '02 street bike is going to probably not going to sound appealing to someone who's got the late season bug to ride. Check out Steele's Cycles for possible local parts and decide if it makes sense to repair it.

GLWR(epair)!
    MRA #88
    Keeping it midpack since 2010!

Quote Originally Posted by Survivalism View Post
    I think im done with motorcycles until i can think clearly enough to not make continuous poor decisions.. i have been very lucky.

I know the feeling man...

as far as the bike goes, unless its got big ticket suspension items, you'd be hard pressed to sell it as a whole and get more than 2g's for a bike thats 10 years old. Heck, even if you repair it with a legit paint job, I don't think you'd get much more out of it.

If you still have any stock parts left, throw those on and sell the go-fast goodies separately and get more money back that way.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

dude - ride dirt.

Cheaper bikes that are expected to hit the ground. They're more durable. And do you have any idea how much dirt roads there are out there you likely haven't seen?
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Hrm got some hard decisions to make, thanks for all the input so far guys.

My plan of action at this point:

Tomorrow im gonna call steeles and check ebay /cbrforum for cheap parts.
    Make a post on craigslist with the bike in its current condition to gauge interest

Depending on how things go ill take it from there.

EDIT: Dirt... ahh... if i had a truck i would already have a dirtbike, i dont want to get a drz400 and have to ride it from SE Aurora to the mountains.. i dont think i am done with motorcycles forever but i think its time to try my luck with fun cars and my income allows me to do one or the other.
    Last edited by Survivalism; Mon Aug 8th, 2011 at 09:11 PM.

Just get rid of it as soon as possible. I'll give you $500 for it and pick it up tomorrow.

If you don't fix it up, you'll get next to nothing for it. It's almost 10 years old and crashed. I would fix it up as affordably as possibly and sell it. I think you'll make more. Although do it quick, bikes don't sell as well later in the year. Parting it out can make you the most cash, but it's a lot of work.

I would park it in a fire pit and invite friends over for marshmallows and beer before I'd give a fucking dime to Steeles.

sorry to hijack into another Steeles bashing thread but that's just how I role when that name comes up.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    I would park it in a fire pit and invite friends over for marshmallows and beer before I'd give a fucking dime to Steeles.

sorry to hijack into another Steeles bashing thread but that's just how I role when that name comes up.
    A++ would agree with again quick shipping.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Or you could donate it to the "in need of bikes" fund! I'm first on the list!
    But seriously I'm sorry to hear you went down, and respect your decision tremendously, it takes a man to admit he's wrong/not ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    it takes a man to admit he's wrong/not ready.
    That's the truth right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    Or you could donate it to the "in need of bikes" fund! I'm first on the list!
    But seriously I'm sorry to hear you went down, and respect your decision tremendously, it takes a man to admit he's wrong/not ready.
    Thanks guys, that really means a lot to me.

I know steeles basically sucks ass but if they have something i need ill buy it.. the sooner i get parts the more money i will get for the bike basically.

weak excuse. You better get to the hospital and get checked out. Sounds like you hit your head in the wreck

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    weak excuse. You better get to the hospital and get checked out. Sounds like you hit your head in the wreck
    Haha, you must have had one hell of a bad experience with them.. i have dealt with them before and didnt leave wanting to burn it to the ground.

I appreciate the post and if they treat me like shit when i go down there i wont support them, otherwise its all about the benjamins. Or so they say.

You just had comp insurance? Make a claim if you had full!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    You just had comp insurance? Make a claim if you had full!
    Yeah just had liability on the bike, the funny thing is the morning before the ride i was going to change to full coverage but didnt because the website wasnt able to give me a quote for some reason.