Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cops don't like wheelies

Re: Cops don't like wheelies

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    To be honest, I will probably just take the plea bargain since my record is clean. I just had my insurance renewed so the ticket may not even show up til next year for the insurance rates. LEO said it would most likely be dropped down to 2 pts. I would like them to drop it down and rename it. I don't want "careless driving" on my record if I have future altercations.
    I'm pretty sure the court can can pull up your records and they will show that the original charge was reduced to whatever it ends up as.

Not sure what LEOs can access when they pull you over.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I pulled an illegal left turn. Got it pled down to improper equipment.

Also, as much as it sucks, the average person has no idea what a wheelie entails and how safe they may be at times. Her calling it in doesn't mean her life is empty. I've called guys in for tearing down the west side of Eisenhower cutting cars off on an icy road. It's called being a responsible citizen.

Be glad your not in Florida. A couple of years ago they passed a new law specifically for wheelies. $1000 first offense (+points), $2500 second, and third is a Felony offense, probably going to jail and you'll have a felony charge on your record.

// MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

gotta love the classic from NWA.

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    Also, as much as it sucks, the average person has no idea what a wheelie entails and how safe they may be at times. Her calling it in doesn't mean her life is empty. I've called guys in for tearing down the west side of Eisenhower cutting cars off on an icy road. It's called being a responsible citizen.
    Oh, so you're the guy in the left lane doing 25mph under the speed limit because you "THINK" the road is icy, or because you believe what every sign on the road tells you... like "caution... 25mph turn ahead". I understand the argument of being a responsible citizen, but me tearing past you anywhere because you won't move the fuck out of the way, is ME DRIVING RESPONSIBLY. I don't want to be near people like you who drive like complete morons, so over cautiously... so I speed my ass past you to GET AWAY FROM YOU. Unfortunately, you make it difficult for people. I know the control of my vehicle in every condition, better than you do. Stop making the rest of us drive like you do... Move over, get the fuck out of the way, and maybe people won't cut you off.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

You got caught (no matter how) doing something dumb. Technically yes, she's a SFB (stupid fucking bitch) but technically you were doing shit you shouldn't on public roads. Send it in, pay your "I like to do shit I shouldn't" tax and move on.

And yes, see if it can be called something besides Careless driving if lowered, that can jack your ins.

oh boy.....seems like folks drive even more cautious when it rains...and it always baffles me when there is an accident on the hwy in blue sky perfect summer days.

A couple of weeks ago there was a ride to Bishop's Castle. Right as we hit Ft. Carson on Hwy 115 a CSP Trooper pulled in front of the group and pulled us over. A woman in a mustang called *CSP and reported they were passing on double yellows. She specifically pointed out the two bikes in the front (who both got tickets for it). The trooper didn't witness it but was able to issue a ticket based on the citizen complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    I pulled an illegal left turn. Got it pled down to improper equipment.

It's called being a responsible citizen.
    I suppose that's one word for it...not the first one that jumps to mind...

Honestly, it's not being responsible, it's being scared, and tattling to the authorities because you don't think anyone should be driving other than however you're driving.

Clearly you made an illegal left, so you're not perfect either, do you need people following you around calling in all your mistakes and lapses in judgment (as perceived by them)?
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    A couple of weeks ago there was a ride to Bishop's Castle. Right as we hit Ft. Carson on Hwy 115 a CSP Trooper pulled in front of the group and pulled us over. A woman in a mustang called *CSP and reported they were passing on double yellows. She specifically pointed out the two bikes in the front (who both got tickets for it). The trooper didn't witness it but was able to issue a ticket based on the citizen complaint.
    Don't fear Big Brother, it's Little Brother that'll put you up against the wall...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I'm just curious, has anyone ever had a cop show up at your house after the fact? I've wondered if anyone has called in my plate to complain.

If you make it home first, is that like saying "SAFE!" and tagging the pole?

I'm just curious, has anyone ever had a cop show up at your house after the fact? I've wondered if anyone has called in my plate to complain.

If you make it home first, is that like saying "SAFE!" and tagging the pole?
    Had it happen to people I know, not me directly.

Unfortunately, there's no 'safe' in this game...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

That's why I always wave when I pass somebody.

I don't want to piss you off, but I also don't want to be stuck behind you for miles and miles of twisties waiting for passing lane.

...The trooper didn't witness it but was able to issue a ticket based on the citizen complaint.

Sure, but tickets are not set in stone until the hammer falls. If you plead not guilty and take it to court, said citizen has to appear and testify against you.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

That's why I always wave when I pass somebody.

I don't want to piss you off, but I also don't want to be stuck behind you for miles and miles of twisties waiting for passing lane.

You might be able to execute it safely on a bike with time/room/space to spare and visibility throughout if you do it right, but god forbid someone decides to call you in for doing it "carelessly" or you're going to get a visit from your local LEO...

This whole World of the Petty Person who has nothing better to do than rat on their cell phone is really a step back for our freedom to be left alone and just ride your own ride.

Yes, if you cause a harm, fine, you deserve to be punished, but all this malum prohibitum "I'm going to tattle" bullshit really needs to go...

Banning cell phones would help, as in the "old days" usually by the time someone got home they'd gotten over whatever terrible offense to humanity they'd witnessed and just went about their business...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

That's true but they don't exactly make it easy.

I had to go to court 2 weeks ago for a speeding ticket. I got there at 9am and didn't get out until around 12:30. Since they called cases in a random order and told everyone "If we call your name and you're not here, you will go to the back of the line" I didn't leave to refill my parking meter.

2 Hour max so I came out with a $25 parking ticket on top of the $125 ticket

Anyhow, the point being is I think most people will just plead it to be done with it, rather then having to give up their entire morning or day more then once.

On the plus side, there's usually no cell service where these things happen (ie the mountains). By the time they get to the next town where there is cell service you're long gone and maybe made a turn or two.

On another note, several years ago a LEO (Trooper) on the CRN board (ColoradoRacing.Net) said that if they get enough complaints about on a plate they will send a trooper to your house for a tongue lashing.

I never pass a car just for the sake of passing. I'll patiently wait until I have enough room and scoot by.

I was actually "that guy" once about two months ago, but I feel it was for very good reason. 99% of the time, I just swear at myself or honk the horn when somebody is being a douche, talking on their cell phone, doing 10 under in the passing lane, merging in to my lane and almost running me over, etc.

But the other day, I was actualling pulling in a McDonald's, in my wife's neon, with her and my son in the car. I was preparing to make a left into the parking lot off of a paved access road, there was another car coming in the opposite direction, who was also pulling in to the parking lot. Finally, when this car has completed it's turn, I move out basically to follow it, when this schmuck who was TWO CARS behind me jumps into the OPPOSING lane of traffic, almost T-bones me, I slam on the brakes, and then he jumps in behind the car in front of me. I was pissed, to say the least. Anyway, I see this guy in McDonald's, he has an infant and maybe a 15 year old boy, and he's yelling at them, being a total dick "hurry up and eat your f*cking french fries" etc, and then he rushes out and throws his kids in his brand new Chrysler Town & Country. I also saw the Military post decals on his vehicle. Needs to say, I phoned in a report, with his description and tag number, the officer got a hold of him, the guy basically admitted to it, said that I was "obstructing traffic" and that I should get a ticket, and he went nuts on the cop, screaming and yelling. "I was in a hurry! I had to get my kids to swim practice!"

Whatever, it was beyond a dick move, and the guy was obviously a douche, so the cop served him with a Careless Driving citation. This was weeks ago, and I haven't yet been notified of a court date or anything, so maybe he just took it and paid the fine, but if I do hear anything I will definitely not hesitate to show up at court. This guy absolutely deserved it.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

I never pass a car just for the sake of passing. I'll patiently wait until I have enough room and scoot by.
    +1 . Another reason why early rides are more fun, fewer cars to pass....

Man Ricky, you really are good at controlling your vehicle, like when you crashed your knobby shod WR trying to follow ME on a race slicked DR-Z on sandy dirt roads? Don't be a fuck. I never ride the left lane, am usually one of the faster ones on the highway especially in winter, and try to NOT piss of other drivers. You weren't there. But this guy ran two cars OFF the road.

Ghost, please show me where I said I was perfect. And I did say that it sucks. But ultimately, I don't understand the excuses that people here like to make. If you break the law and get a ticket, don't bitch. OR...don't break the law. Brad's bitching about this way less than the mob on here and he's the one with the ticket.

Finally, by extension, if someone sees a guy steal your bike...they shouldn't tattle?

^Malum Prohibitum vs Malum In Se, calling over theft is to prevent the latter, not the former. It's not an extension, it's apples and oranges.

Calling the cops every time you think you saw someone possibly do something wrong, and you don't like it, is entirely different.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I've called people in too. I called in someone doing 25 in a 45, weaving back and forth across both lanes and stopping at a green light, then going when it went red and driving half way on the side walk. It was about midnight on a Saturday, so I figured I would be an ass hat and get that responsible driver in trouble for nothing...
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

I think this thread is full of apples to apples comparisons.

/sarcasm

Yeah I did a small wheelie and got caught. I will pay my fine and accept my consequence. I would have rather gotten caught by somebody who actually enforces the laws, rather than some power hungry cunt who doesn't like motorcycles.

Very different from a guy who steals a bike, or a guy doing 160 down I-25.

Jacked part of this story is, if I remember correctly, neither of the two guys that got tickets had passed on double yellow. The beotch was just pointing and the cop was just writing tickets.