Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plea Bargains

Re: Plea Bargains

The first step is looking at what the DA (DA's assistant more likely) has to offer in terms of a plea bargain. The goal is to reduce points and accept a charge less likely to cause an insurance hike.

Bump. At the court this morning. Wish me luck. I am going to try and record the meeting with the DA. Cross fingers for 2 pt non moving violation plea bargain!!!

They put me in a court room so it seems I will have to talk to the judge. And she's a woman. I expect no mercy.

Whew. Okay, so a girl came in to the court room (pretty cute too) and asked if we wanted to speak with a city attorney for a plea bargain one by one. Of course I said yes. Now in the waiting area waiting to get my plea bargain.

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

Wishing luck...
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Luck wished!
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

BOOOOOM! $50 snaps and a 2 point defective headlamp charge.

The city attorney was cute and i turned on the mack and was spreading my vibe. Cracked some jokes and I am pretty sure she was picking up what I was throwing down.

Went back to see the judge and get setencing. Everybody else was getting $100+ for the same charge but I "Yes Your Honor"d the shit out of him, so he gave me a $50 instead of $100.

Brad 1
    City of Lakewood 0

That's a pretty sweet plea bargain. I really hope you learned your lesson out of this whole situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    That's a pretty sweet plea bargain. I really hope you learned your lesson out of this whole situation?
    Yep.

I learned that I need to wear my sex panther cologne and flirt even harder to get a better plea bargain next time.

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    I learned that I need to wear my sex panther cologne and flirt even harder to get a better plea bargain next time.
    60% of the time, it works every time!

Sometimes you just gotta turn that swagga dial up to 11.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

Good to know the system works...
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Sometimes you just gotta turn that swagga dial up to 11.

Quote Originally Posted by cptschlongenheimer View Post

Good to know the system works...
    Good to know you can work the system...
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

loloololololo
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Yep.

Stuff is for real

Ok, so beyond this being extremely entertaining in a way that "reality" TV has never been...what exactly would I do on the morning of the "court date" on my ticket in order to speak with the DA(asst) about a plea bargain? Like, who do I talk to first? I'm sure the DA isn't set up with a window and counter with "Plea Bargains" signage above his head. Do I ask a desk flunky or just say I'm there for my court appearance and wait for the proverbial cute chick to come into the court room and ask individually who wants to plea bargain?

I'll be going to JeffCo court house in Golden in November for my speeding ticket (58 in a 40...stupid canyon speed limits). First time I've chosen to go and plea instead of just paying it, but I really don't want 4 points and $160 out of pocket right now (Christmas is coming, Judge...think of the children! =P).
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    2007 MINI Cooper (sayonara, you piece of garbage)
    2002 Acura TL Type-S (Sold)
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2000 Suzuki SV650...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
    ~Kyle

In most cases you will automatically get to talk to the asst. DA before you see a judge, they will offer you a reduced charge that you can take of reject, if you reject it you go into court and enter a not guilty plea and they will set a trial date. I am surprised for such a minor ticket they did not include mail in deal.
    If they gave you the option to reduce points and possibly fine if paid by a set date and you passed on it they may not offer you anything.
    Last edited by Bueller; Sat Oct 8th, 2011 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Do'Urden View Post
    Ok, so beyond this being extremely entertaining in a way that "reality" TV has never been...what exactly would I do on the morning of the "court date" on my ticket in order to speak with the DA(asst) about a plea bargain? Like, who do I talk to first? I'm sure the DA isn't set up with a window and counter with "Plea Bargains" signage above his head. Do I ask a desk flunky or just say I'm there for my court appearance and wait for the proverbial cute chick to come into the court room and ask individually who wants to plea bargain?

I'll be going to JeffCo court house in Golden in November for my speeding ticket (58 in a 40...stupid canyon speed limits). First time I've chosen to go and plea instead of just paying it, but I really don't want 4 points and $160 out of pocket right now (Christmas is coming, Judge...think of the children! =P).
    You're going to pay a fine regardless, most places it will be a little less, but consider that money gone. Rarely, unless you go to court and actually fight the ticket and win will the fine be reduced or taken away completely.

Never just pay it. Always go get the plea deal. You will see the DA 1st, or even just an administrator who has the plea bargain in a folder. Most times it will be a non-moving violation. If it is a reduced speed or a moving infraction, request to see DA or discuss the situation. In Douglas county, you actually get time to sit with the DA and explain what happened.

It's different in all counties, but most will offer a plea deal. In Adams county they put you directly in front of the judge immediately, it's at his/her discretion as to what happens. They base it on your driving record, where the infraction took place, and the notes that the officer wrote for the case.

In all cases, and especially when you get pulled over, be curteous, respectful and pour on the yes sir. Always ask the officer if you can get a warning. Rarely works, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Hope that helps. I've gotten tickets all over the place and have never not had the judge or DA give a plea bargain of a non-moving violation and only 1 or 2 points against my record.

Don't forget that when you go to court, they will add court cost and they're kind of expensive now.

10 years ago it was like $10, now it's closer to $70 in addition to the fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Don't forget that when you go to court, they will add court cost and they're kind of expensive now.

10 years ago it was like $10, now it's closer to $70 in addition to the fine.

Mine was $35 in Lakewood.

Are the court costs incurred even if you don't see a judge and just talk to a DA-type?

I've got $160 set aside already...I just want to see if I can get the points reduced and also knocked down from a moving violation. Even if I end up paying the full $160 it would be worth it to not have the points and moving violation on my record.
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    2007 MINI Cooper (sayonara, you piece of garbage)
    2002 Acura TL Type-S (Sold)
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2000 Suzuki SV650...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
    ~Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Do'Urden View Post
    Are the court costs incurred even if you don't see a judge and just talk to a DA-type?

I've got $160 set aside already...I just want to see if I can get the points reduced and also knocked down from a moving violation. Even if I end up paying the full $160 it would be worth it to not have the points and moving violation on my record.
    Generally, unless waived by a judge, court costs are incurred if you show up in court and don't prepay the citation or take advantage of any early payment option.
    Drama is a poor substitute for adventure. (c)2011