Thread: My next adventure ride: Tour of Colorado

My next adventure ride: Tour of Colorado

http://mapq.st/qjJItT

1 state
    3 days (+/- 400 miles per day)
    15 mountain passes
    1300+ miles

If we continue to get have good weather I may do this in the next week or two otherwise we're looking at 2012.

This tour covers pretty much every high point of the Colorado motorcycle roads.

Monarch Pass
    Slumgullion Pass
    Spring Creek Pass
    Wolf Creek Pass
    Red Mountain Pass
    Molas Pass
    Coal Bank Pass
    McClare Pass
    Independence Pass
    Loveland Pass
    Berthoud Pass
    Cameron Pass
    Squaw Pass
    Juniper Pass
    Ute Pass

We'll go through Black Canyon in the south and Poudre Canyon in the north.

Small groups work best but I need at least 1 partner to make this viable. Any takers?

Re: My next adventure ride: Tour of Colorado

Did a 900+ mile trip this past weekend (will post trip pics later). Of the roads you identified, I can tell you some of the conditions:

Monarch Pass was clear and dry.

Slumgullion Pass was also clear and dry, but the condition of the road wasn't the most ideal (lots of rippling on the north side of the pass summit). Nothing too bad, though.

Wolf Creek Pass was also clear and dry, but the west side of the summit still had construction... which has been going on for AGES. Two troopers sat there waiting for anyone to go over 20MPH in the short section before you hit the big overlook.

And Ute Pass was Ute Pass... a westbound cager was nice enough to stick his head out the window and pat his head at us as we headed down to the Springs. A motorcycle cop was waiting down there in the median near Waldo Canyon TH.

You'll have a great time!
    '09 Duc Monster 696
    '00 Suz SV650 (Dad's, garaged with mine)
    I like mountains because they make me feel small.

I am not interested in the north portion as I ride that section all the time (you should add Gore pass by the way). But the south section, over two days, sounds doable.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Even though i am sure you already expect me to go on this i cannot go on another long ass ride until 2012 so if you plan to do so then let me know!

Yeah, the lower half is the Durango route. We did this in 2 days last weekend.

I just realized, looking at the picture the route looks two two arms with a thumbs up (or a double fist pump). A good sign!

Grim: We'll do this ride in 2012 too.
    Last edited by Clovis; Mon Sep 26th, 2011 at 03:20 PM.

If anybody has a gel or corbin seat that I can borrow for a few days for a K7 gsxr 1000 I'm am down for the lower half of the ride in the next few weeks! I've always wanted to go through Ouray/Silverton/Teluride and have never actually gone down there. Would have to do it in 2 days though or maybe 3 if I could get a Friday or Monday off. Dont think I can ride that long with the current seat on the bike though. When we rode a few weeks back up Pikes Peak, I rode a few other roads back in the springs that I hadnt been on in years and ended up riding for aprox 9 hours total and I could hardly walk at the end of the day when I got home in Denver. Can imagine how my ass would hold up for this long a ride but would love to see how my stamina could do! Didnt really get to do any of my own long ass planned rides this summer and would still like to put a few more miles on the horse before the snow starts to fall.
    -Mick-
    1990 White/Black Eagle Talon TSi: The "Caged" cage.. 792hp/623tq- 9.98@144.77mph
    2008 Yamaha R1 Raven: 10.7@134 - DNA race air filter, Gutted cats and modded factory cans, -2 front sprocket!
    2007 Yellow/Grey GSXR1000: 11.24@143.4mph- Stolen... Me sad panda...

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post

http://mapq.st/qjJItT

1 state
    3 days (+/- 400 miles per day)
    15 mountain passes
    1300+ miles

If we continue to get have good weather I may do this in the next week or two otherwise we're looking at 2012.

This tour covers pretty much every high point of the Colorado motorcycle roads.

Monarch Pass
    Slumgullion Pass
    Spring Creek Pass
    Wolf Creek Pass
    Red Mountain Pass
    Molas Pass
    Coal Bank Pass
    McClare Pass
    Independence Pass
    Loveland Pass
    Berthoud Pass
    Cameron Pass
    Squaw Pass
    Juniper Pass
    Ute Pass

We'll go through Black Canyon in the south and Poudre Canyon in the north.

Small groups work best but I need at least 1 partner to make this viable. Any takers?
    Sounds like an interesting "short" ride . I'd love to, but I can't take any time off yet. Have fun, and be safe.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Since you're going all that way, you should turn west north of Ouray, back around to Telluride, Rico and Dolores, then north again on CO 141 thru Gateway, out to Grand Junction and Palisade, back over Grand Mesa, reconnecting at Montrose. Some of the best riding on the western slope await.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Since you're going all that way, you should turn west north of Ouray, back around to Telluride, Rico and Dolores, then north again on CO 141 thru Gateway, out to Grand Junction and Palisade, back over Grand Mesa, reconnecting at Montrose. Some of the best riding on the western slope await.
    Yep,

you don't want to miss 141 through Gateway if you are going that far west.

I've gotta get out there sometime next year myself.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Apparently you have a problem with the whole NW corner of the state, as well as the afformentioned 141. If it really is a "Tour of Colorado", you should probably include the whole state. We won't even mention the exclusion of all of the east of I25. Tsk, Tsk
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    Apparently you have a problem with the whole NW corner of the state, as well as the aforementioned 141. If it really is a "Tour of Colorado", you should probably include the whole state. We won't even mention the exclusion of all of the east of I25. Tsk, Tsk
    If you've been to HPR you've effectively seen the entire "east of I-25" part of the state, except maybe for the badlands up north (east)..... And you'd need a cruiser to make it bearable. Good point though concerning the north western part of the state... I meant to see Dinosaur this year and never got around to it....
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    Apparently you have a problem with the whole NW corner of the state, as well as the afformentioned 141. If it really is a "Tour of Colorado", you should probably include the whole state. We won't even mention the exclusion of all of the east of I25. Tsk, Tsk
    I'm of the opinion we should just give the whole part of the state East of HPR to Kansas, it's pretty much Kansas anyways (i.e. flat, boring.....)
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

That's a great idea. There are some more roads to do but getting the time off from work to do them is another story.

I don't see any mountains east of I-25.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

Whats your proposed timeframe for this? I'm interested, but I need a little bit of time to get some luggage, make a few minor preparations and arrange for time off work (Im interviewing for a promotion Wednesday, so that will make things a tad tricky).

Grand Mesa was amazing last weekend. ~70 miles of me hauling ass trying to catch up to aerofaze and ntntoproc after getting a new tire in Montrose. The road is a little rough in some spots, but most of it is OK. I think I only had to deal with about 5 cars the entire way.

The time frame depends on the weather. If the good weather holds we could be looking at the weekend of Oct 8th and 9th.

Otherwise figure summer 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
    Whats your proposed timeframe for this? I'm interested, but I need a little bit of time to get some luggage, make a few minor preparations and arrange for time off work (Im interviewing for a promotion Wednesday, so that will make things a tad tricky).

Clovis... You have a good map. It is difficult to ride the best of the state without some back tracking. Your map isn't too far off the state tour found in the book (See Sig). I also add the great Dolores Canyon and the Grand Mesa as part of the tour. But no big deal. It's kinda nice to leave things undone... a nice excuse to return.

Steve! I just heard about your book, congratulations! I'll have to order a copy.

I started watching some of your videos (and my god there's so many of them!). Next thing I knew it was 2 hours later... Speaking of which, do you mount your camera on your helmet or chest?

Since we're getting snow a bit early this year, this will trip will almost certainly be a 2012 deal. Next weekend is forecasted to be nice but I'm in the mood for something different. I'll be heading down to Taos, NM. I haven't been there yet and the ride reports from sport-tourer.net look enticing.

You're welcomed to come along if you're interested. It's just a 2 day trip.

Clovis... Yes, the vids can drain one's capacity to be productive. My guess is you stumbled across the site hosting the book's onboard videos at http://rmridervideo.com (Rocky Mountain Rider Video). They were a part of the book's project because they add an extra dimension to what one can expect (or re-live) versus text/images/maps only. There are a bunch there, but they were collected over the past seven years. Have tried all kinds of mounting locations, and have made every mistake one can make while making an onboard recording, and I continue to repeat them , but for the most part, have migrated to a mount on the lower left side of the helmet.

Have a great ride to Taos and the Enchanted Circle area. I responded to your thread at Sport-touring.net on suggested alternatives to and from the area. I would consider joining but was there two weeks ago. After seeing dealers in SW CO on the book, the last area in the state to cover, I dropped south into NM and treated myself to a ride of no agenda! No dealers to see, no content to capture for the book, etc.... simply enjoying U.S. 64 across the state, stopping at a Navajo roadside concession (Mmmmm frybread) along the way, and staying at Eagle Nest east of Taos.

So you did, thank you!

You're right, I found them on your rmridervideo.com site all though I had to do a little bit of detective work to find it.

Uglydogracing posted about your book here:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...complete+guide

From there I googled the book and found it on amazon (among other places) and read the first few pages in amazon's preview feature. You mentioned having videos of all of the routes on the companion site.

I started off watching the roads I knew. Kind of like "I can see my house from here!" but rather "Oh, I know where he is!". I want to see more of the SW part of the state since Durango is the farthest I've gone in Colorado but with winter right around the corner that will have to wait until next year most likely.

Anyhow, I'm hoping that the weather forecast holds true so I can do 64. The real decider will be the condition of Wolfe Creek pass but the whole week is supposed to be sunny so hopefully that eliminates any snow. But worst case doing 64 and back tracking to 285 home wouldn't be the end of the world

Since you mentioned it, is it better to stay in Eagle Nest instead of Taos?

Thanks!

Yes, Wolf Creek Pass opened for skiing this weekend, enabled by the three feet of snow recently, but if sunny skies prevail this upcoming week, me thinks you will be able to make the U.S. 160 ascent/descent on two wheels! If uncertain, after enjoying sweeping and solitary U.S. 64 from Tres Piedras to Tierra Amarilla (Glorious high speed 180 degree bends), at Chama you have a fine choice... west towards Chromo and Pagosa Springs, or continue north on NM 17 to CO 17 and ride the fun Cumbres and La Manga Passes, then the Conejos River, before rejoining 285 towards home.

Definitely aim for Taos for an overnight stay versus Eagle Nest. The pickins, food and lodging, are slim in Eagle Nest. Another option versus Taos is Red River on the north side of the "Enchanted Circle". More than a few bike rallies, like BMW, H-D, make Red River their base every year. Nice food/lodging options all along the main NM 38 drag, with great riding on each side of town.

Choices, choices

Thanks for the tips Steve!