Thread: Going to Moab

Going to Moab

Well going to Moab for my second time tomorrow. Going with a guy from ADVRider, we are staying in a campground. Meeting up with a few other ADV guys. Will be leaving Springs around 7am tomorrow, and be out there till Sunday.

Plan to hit 'Fins N Things', 'Hell's Revenge' the first day. Not sure what we will hit on day two. The other guys are riding in from Grand Junction by way of Gateway. So whatever they want to hit.

I'm a little hardcore, but guy I'm carpooling with is newer to dirt. What you all recommend out there?

And no, I have ZERO interest in White Rim.

Re: Going to Moab

The only trails I really know are ones good for big bikes. Which might not be bad for your friend, especially depending on what he/she is riding.

Kane Creek is fun. Although the ending is pretty rough. But there is a bypass to the left or you can just turn around and go back.

Chicken Corners is good.

You can take the Kokopelli out and back.

Gemini Bridges and Longs Canyon aren't bad.

I just did Sand Flats (which is very beginner) and Hurrah Pass, which was a bit more challenging. Great views from both...
    CEO, Angry Marmot Motorsports
    07 Passion Red Kawi 650R

What about Onion Creek (IIRC). Seems like a pretty easy road with numerous water crossings. I went up it on my 4x4 years ago, might want to go back with the dual sports.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    What about Onion Creek (IIRC). Seems like a pretty easy road with numerous water crossings. I went up it on my 4x4 years ago, might want to go back with the dual sports.
    Onion Creek is a fun ride. Great views. But if you are hard core it may be a bore. Better stick to the expert trails.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Kane creek !!! great ride even on a big bike, gets fast at time with some tech stuff too. When you get to the steep rocky hill part, if its too much, just turn around and ride back (or take the sneak route to the left, not sure how hard the sneak route is though)

I did Fins and Things on my GS800, fun only a couple of butt clinch moments, would LOVE to do it now on my DRZ! Did the first 1/2 mile of Hell's revenge but it was getting late and I wimped out so turned around.

Might want to make sure you have a good rear tire for the sand. My TKC didn't work too well, it got by but not like my buds 908.
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

We did FinsNThings yesterday, and Porcupine Rim so far today, and came out by way of Porcupine 4x4 trail.

Taken at Porcupine Rim Trail.

Video of Fins N Things yesterday.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZAm...e_gdata_player

Forgot about Porcupine. I only mountain biked it, forgot you could get bikes on it. Nice!
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Ride Report:

So me and another guy trailered out our bikes on Thursday using this.

Pulling with this:

the campground is called Rons Pack Campground and is pretty nice. They have showers, toilets, sinks, outside sinks, hoses, power for an extra $2.50 a day. Its per person, and it was $21 a person for three nights. They also sell wood to burn, and have ICE. It is not that far outside of Moab and is very close to the Sand Flats Rd to head up. So those on a budget its great. Spot #12 was what we had, and it too was great, bring a 100 foot extension cord and you will be all set.

Here is my tent setup:

Oh, I had to buy that tent there, I forgot to bring the damn tent...OPS but they sell lots of gear in town and it was only $50 for a 2-person tent. It seems a lot of people forget items...LOL

Friday's Ride:
    John snapped this of me:

John heading up:

His son Bryce:

This guy in out group on a XR650L decided to loop his bike. It took time to fix with a little epoxy, cardboard, and Shoe goo...

Left a nice REAL slick spot for the jeepers:

At night getting it ready for JBWeld

Saturday's ride:
    The weld held up as we did a nice easy loop.

That is all I got so far. Mac (guy I trailered with) had his GoPro so maybe he got some good stuff, plus the other guys took a lot of pictures....I only had my cellphone and its a paint o take out EVERY time to take a picture.

This will definitely be on my to do list next season...

Well the guys plan to go out again, I'm an IN right now. April 26th to 29th. People are welcome to come out, its a "your on your own" trip for room, camping and what not (not an official event).

Feel free to come out.

Board Newbie

Making a moab run on the 21st of June anyone else going to be out that way or down to go, ill be there with about 30 of my buddies riding you can't miss us. Come say hi and join the festivities!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

DAMN! Late June?! Gonna be HOT!!
    Newton