Thread: GoPro question - Gift for dad?

Question GoPro question - Gift for dad?

Holidays not too far around the corner. Was thinking a GoPro might be a cool gift for dad. He has a light sport plane and also flies RC planes and heli's. Not to mention hunting.

Unfortunately, he's not a tech guy. Does do email but not that great with computers. It also takes a long time for him to download pics off his digital camera. I've heard it takes a bit of time and effort for GoPro editing?

I'm concerned that it might sound like a good gift but because of the PC time involved that it might not get used?

cue the peanut gallery - discuss.....
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Re: GoPro question - Gift for dad?

If he has a hard tome downloading pictures, this isn't for him. Unless you want him calling you everytime he wants to do something with the video.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

cue the peanut gallery - discuss.....
    sounds like he needs an updated computer first.

I don't think it's so much that he struggles downloading pics nearly as much as sitting in front of the PC isn't his 1st choice of things to do. I'm pretty sure he'd love the videos, just not sure if he'd love spending a lot of time in front of the PC to make them.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

Basic editing is easy enough for someone who's fairly savvy. If it were me (my old man is pretty tech-fail too), I'd just have him send you the footage and you can edit it. Rendering HD video takes a little while (maybe 15-20 min for 5 min of edited footage in my experience) but moving the footage from the camera to the PC is as simple as most digital cameras. I have a PC with Windows 7 and it comes with Windows Live Movie Maker which has very simple and basic tools for editing video. The only thing you'll need to do most likely is download a H.264 decoder (I used DivX) to play the footage on your PC once it is transferred. As for spending time in front of the computer, my very first time editing a 4-5 min video clip took me about an hour from start to finish. But the GoPro comes with cables to hook the camera straight to a TV and watch raw video that way as well.

In short, it will require a bit of practice and learning the basic prompts but I think even a serial FOG could get the hang of it. Editing is the only complicated part of the process.

so a FOG could still have fun with a GoPro without having to edit?

1999 DR650SE

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    so a FOG could still have fun with a GoPro without having to edit?
    I should think so! Especially if he's going to use it on a R/C plane or something similar. Don't really need to edit that kind of footage since most of those R/Cs have fairly short battery life. It would just be cool to see the video footage from the air imho! Check out Youtube, I think there's a guy who's username is something like "JoeHandsome..." and he putas up GoPro vids from his R/C planes.

The controls and options on a GoPro are probably more complicated than say the simple ON/OFF on a Contour. Plus the cylindrical Contour might be better suited to aerodynamics than the GoPro's big cube design.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

yea, and there was a leafpeeper video on the news this week too of someone with a cam on a heli flying in between and up close on the fall colors.

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    The controls and options on a GoPro are probably more complicated than say the simple ON/OFF on a Contour. Plus the cylindrical Contour might be better suited to aerodynamics than the GoPro's big cube design.
    Interesting suggestion. I was mostly familiar with the GP as they seem to spend a fair bit of marketing bucks. Thanks for your input.

1999 DR650SE

He's going to be furious the first time he tries to take video and finds out it was just one picture

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    He's going to be furious the first time he tries to take video and finds out it was just one picture
    The go pro defaults to camcorder everytime you turn it on...just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    The go pro defaults to camcorder everytime you turn it on...just sayin.
    You can also change the settings so that when it does turn on, it can go to whatever default mode you set. The GoPro captures some awesome images and videos. It does have some high requirements from your computer to run the videos, and most definitely demanding for when you are editing. I definitely do agree that the modes and settings on the GoPro itself is already technical. I've heard of other comparable units like the GoPro but I hear for the price, it's not too bad. So far from what your dad may use this camera for, it doesn't seem like the "it" product for his needs. But then you never know, the GoPro could push him to do new things. See what best fits his needs. Good luck sir.

I thought that if you press the power button for 2 seconds it goes to video, but hold it for longer and it goes to camera

maybe they changed that feature

FYI... found this great deal on GoPro's for the month of October...

http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topi...html#msg512753

Just a quick heads up. There is a deal going on right now for either the 1080p version motorsports package or the helmet package for $199
    Details here: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...6164&t=3399120

Why don't you connect to his computer remotely and edit the video for him? That would make an even better gift.
    "6 pairs of kicks is my definition of 12 steps"

I think it would be an amazing gift for anyone. Just have to settle down and sit down at a computer more to understand everything.