Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anatomy of a crash . . .

Anatomy of a crash . . .

I wanted to take the time to write up my experience in Turn 7 at HPR on Labor Day. As you can see this is going to quite a long post, but if it helps even one person make a better decision, then it is more than worth the time it took to put it together. Hopefully someone somewhere will be able to glean some amount of useful info from this post. If you have any questions about anything that I have written here please feel free to post it up. The idea is to encourage the exchange of ideas and information. The information below is intended to be food for thought and perhaps a catalyst for people to share their experiences and ideas.

First off, a few details that will be helpful – The first thing I would like to point out is that I am not a literary guru, so if you find obvious mistakes in grammar or with my writing skills, please overlook them and keep in mind the intentions of why I am sharing this info.

While I am not the fastest guy on the track, I am also not new to track riding at all. I have been in, around and on tracks for MANY years and feel very comfortable riding them and riding them at a fair pace. Next, the bike I was riding was relatively new to me on the track. It was Monica's bike (that I got her for Christmas). I have had it on HPR maybe two other times before that day. I am more accustomed to riding a GSXR 1k, both on the street and the track. I believe this is one of the big issues that caused the beginnings of my crash (I'll explain more about that in a sec).

So, with that said, this is what I have put together about what happened - As I was coming up and around Turn 7, I was towards the top end of second and shifting into third. This is where my problems began. On my GSXR 1k, I run GP shift on the track. On the R6, the shift connector rod goes through the frame (still not sure who at Yamaha thought that one up), which makes it impossible to change the shift pattern without buying a special connector rod that goes around the frame. Out of habit, I pressed the shifter down, instead of lifting it up. This put me in 1st, which caused the rear to slide. I was able to get the clutch in and right the bike, but was quickly running out of space on the track. I got on the brakes briefly before leaving the track. Running off the track under normal conditions isn't that big of a deal. It happens frequently. Where things got out of hand is in the fact between 7 and 9 is where the water runs off the track. At this point, I should be running through bumpy, but fairly controllable run-off. What I ran into is a series of gullies from where the water had run off the track and down the hill. I somewhat remember going over the first one, from what I was told it was the second one where the front wheel caught and launched me over the bars. This is also where the bike started to cartwheel. Judging from my leathers and helmet, when I hit the ground, I didn't slide much, if any at all. At some point, I am fairly certain that the bike hit me as is passed through\over me. This is where I sustained most of my injuries. The ribs (seven of them) and scapula are all broken in a very neat line which suggests that either I hit something with a hard edge or something with a hard edge hit me. I am not 100% certain which it was, but can only assume it was the bike.

It’s at this point where I feel compelled to take a minute to express my most sincere thanks to Scott, Ralph, Glenn, the EMT’s that were there that day and all of the corner workers. I think that what happened from time I left the track until I was at the hospital is the greatest testament to why we choose to ride the track instead of riding like this on the street. From the time that I went down until I had trained medical personnel working on me was less than three minutes (not that I was able to tell). This was able to happen because of how well Chicane Trackdays manages to superbly orchestrate so many different moving pieces. The corner workers got the track cleared, and everyone else launched into immediate action with great precision and coordination. I have to say, after watching the bike disappear from underneath me, the next thing I remember was the last 10 minutes of the ambulance ride to the hospital. Somehow during that time, they were able to properly assess my injuries, remove my leathers, body armor, boots and gloves (thank you Ralph) without having to cut anything off. Amazingly enough, when I got to the hospital the first thing they did was cut off my compression shorts and under armor shirt. Regardless, I firmly believe that it was the fact that was wearing the proper protective gear that saved me. Had I not been wearing it, whatever I hit or whatever hit me would have surely done much more damage. If you ever want to be convinced of the importance of proper protective gear, simple step off your bike . . . (ok, not really, but you get my point).

After five days in the hospital, I was released to head home. This is when the largest portion of the education phase occurred. The recovery part has been slow and arduous, but that is expected. For once in my life I am actually following the doctor’s orders and doing things as I am supposed to rather than making things worse by pushing too hard, too fast. I am back at work now. Even that is a task, but as I said things are getting better and better every day. The bike is gone, but those things can be replaced. Below are several very important lessons that I would like to make sure that I share:

1. WEAR YOUR FREAKIN GEAR!!! I can assure you that all the old school adages like ATGATT, “dress for the crash, not the ride” and “sweat wipes off, road rash doesn’t” are all true. I can say that because I am here to share this info with you. There are many that have come before that were not so lucky.
    2. If you want to ride ridiculously fast, do it in a place and environment is suited for that type of activity. If this had happened in a canyon somewhere, there is not telling what other complications would have arisen. Anything from other drivers, cliffs, road rails, curbs, no immediate medical help . . . this list goes on and on . . .
    3. Make sure that you appreciate those around you. They will be the ones that step up when you can’t. People like Scott, Ralph, Glenn, Ann (who drove Monica back from the track), Jeff, John, Kristin and all the other countless people that helped pack up our stuff to get things rolling . . . these are examples of how people pull together to help when it is needed and that help is invaluable and very much appreciated! Just a quick reminder, that if something happens to someone around you, stop and take the time to help them. You never know when it might be you needing the help.
    4. Insurance – I have had numerous questions about this. We have insurance from a reputable company. Since this was not a race or timed event, they came out looked at the bike, totaled it and settled the claim with no hassle at all.
    5. Medical insurance – My work’s medical insurance has been super awesome also. There have been no issues with this at all. If you do not have medical insurance, I would make it HIGH on the priority list. There is no way I could even come close to paying for all of the medical bills that are still rolling in. And, it’s not like this is something you can just walk off . . . short version – medical insurance – you need it! Get some!
    6. Work – I was out of work for about a month. I have been using my vacation and such to enjoy things like Moto GP in Monterey, and many of the photo shoots that I do. The result is that I ended up with a few weeks off that were unpaid. My work has been awesome in letting me work from home for the first week, which allowed me to get back to work earlier than I would have otherwise been able to.
    7. Supplemental insurance – (aka AFLAC) – although it is a huge pain in the butt to put out that money each month, I highly recommend it. Even though I am still working with them to make sure all “i”s are dotted and all the “t”s are crossed, they should make it so that the weeks of work that I was unpaid are less painful. If you have been on the fence about this, let me assure you that right now, it is more than worth what I have put into it.
    8. Lastly (and most importantly) – I want to take a second to thank Monica for everything that she has done for me during these trying times. There isn’t enough time or room for me to explain how much her love and support has impacted my life. I won’t gush on about this in this thread, but will make sure that I do everything I can to show my thanks and appreciation for having such and amazing woman to share my crazy life with . . .

The end result of all of the damages – 7 broke ribs, 1 broke scapula (spatula), a partially collapsed lung, a concussion (at least that isn’t a vital organ for me) and tomorrow I find out if they are going to do surgery on my shoulder . . .

I know this a lot of information and probably more than you ever wanted to know about me and my life, but like I said in the beginning, if I can positively influence someone from my experience, then it’s all worth it. If you have any questions please feel free to post them up.
    www.onthemarcphotography.com

Re: Anatomy of a crash . . .

From earlier that morning:

After I ran out of talent in Turn 7:

More carnage:

Nothing went untouched:

First time standing while in the hospital:

Monica and I enjoying breakfast (with me knowing I am the luckiest man alive to have Monica there with me):

Thanks for sharing Marc. All really important things for all of us to think about. Good luck on the rest of your recovery!

Edit: is there a question and answer session later?
    Last edited by Reyven; Wed Oct 12th, 2011 at 03:43 PM.

Just glad that you're okay, Marc! If this had happened to a normal human, they'd still probably be in the hospital. btw, nice red socks.

So let me get this straight: You cartwheel Monica's bike and then she takes care of you for the next month? Good lawd you're a lucky man!

Damn, I shift from 2 to 3 before entering 7 (on my 04 R6). I've debated getting that linkage to go GP shift but held off since I don't want to switch every bike I ever own to GP shift in the future.

Glad ur ok. Thanks for the good writeup

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Yeah, those socks are hawt!! You need to wear those for the next Chicane day.

Glad you're alright. No need to thank all of us, because we know you would have done the exact same for us, probably even more.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Good write-up, Marc! I had GP Shift on my R1 too which has caused some butt puckering moments for me, just like what you've experienced.

Just glad you're ok!

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Marc, your earnest sincerity and honesty are very clear in what you've written. Must admit, the parts about the other awesome CSCers/riders/organizers/EMTs who assisted you, and especially the part about Monica, all left a tear in my eye.

I'm very glad you're with us to share. Heal up soon!
    '09 Duc Monster 696
    '00 Suz SV650 (Dad's, garaged with mine)
    I like mountains because they make me feel small.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I am doing pretty good right now. To look at me you would know that a month ago I was in pretty miserable shape. Now it's just a matter of time until I am up to my normal shenanigans . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    So let me get this straight: You cartwheel Monica's bike and then she takes care of you for the next month? Good lawd you're a lucky man!
    You aren't telling me anything I didn't already know. She is beyond super awesome and I am lucky to have her in my life . . . this is one of those things that I can assure you I will never take for granted!

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Yeah, those socks are hawt!! You need to wear those for the next Chicane day.
    They had traction strips on them . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Glad you're alright. No need to thank all of us, because we know you would have done the exact same for us, probably even more.
    In keeping with the tradition of what took place outside of Turn 7, I would be there without a moment's hesitation . . . no questions asked! I think you guys already know that though . . .

Well, glad you're on the mend and that we were able to help.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Terrific write-up, Marc. Thanks for taking the time to share with us. And I'm just glad I decided to do one more afternoon session that day.

09 Yamaha FZ6R
    08 Yamaha XT250

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Holy smokes! Gary, Dave, and I met you, Monica, and your friend at Deckers I believe, on Memorial Day weekend if I remember??

Anyways, so sorry to hear it, and glad you didn't have any of the complications that can so easily happen when breaking ribs etc.

Hope you heal fully and quickly!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Glad to hear you are doing better, it is surprising you remember so much of the crash, a lot of the time with head banging trauma the brain doesn't like to remember that stuff.
    I found out last weekend how weird it was to ride HPR with a bike with standard shift since I have only ridden it with GP shift bikes. The 650r has no shift linkage so it can not be switched. I generally don't have a problem going back and forth, especially with the dirt bikes but that track is GP engrained on my brain so I had a few brain farts Sunday until I red-lined the piss out of it coming out of 15, that seemed to fix it for me. I can definitely imagine some bad places to mix that up though.
    Good luck on the recovery and I hope to see you out there again.

I just wanted to add a few thoughts from the viewpoint of the caregiver. Here are some things I've learned after Marc's back surgery last year and the abovementioned injury this year -

*If you are riding a motorcycle, in any circumstance, consider having some ID on you. My brother bought me dog tags when I was riding by myself that basically said, If Found - Call Joe - and his phone number. Marc couldn't remember any phone numbers when the hospital asked who they should call. Luckily, he remembered his own cellphone number, which I had with me.

*Accept help - everyone around, either physically or through facebook, etc - wants to help. If they offer, say yes - you will need all the help you can get. If they don't offer, it's only because they don't know what to do. Ask. Even little things will save you time and energy - and, trust me, people really don't mind.

(and with that in mind, I want to thank everyone Marc has already mentioned AND thank everyone that packed the trailer AND thank JJ for his ability to get shit done - quickly, efficiently, and without asking me any questions that I couldn't answer anyway. I sincerely apologize if Marc or I didn't mention someone who helped - neither of us were quite right in the head.)

*The motorcyclist and caregiver need to know ahead of time who will make medical decisions should the motorcyclist be unable to do so. If the caregiver is not related to the motorcyclist, by blood or by law - it probably isn't the caregiver.

*The above can also apply to who can stay in the hospital room - especially in the ICU.

*Once the caregiver is with the motorcyclist - don't leave. I refuse to leave Marc alone in a hospital room - he uses phrases like "I can feel that" when he is in excruciating pain and he refuses to record the name, dose, and timing of the medications he is taking. I have heard too many horror stories of tired nurses making mistakes - so I think every patient needs an advocate.

Let me know if you have any specific questions - I have all sorts of "how to survive in a hospital room" advice.

And even thought I am uncomfortable with discussing emotions - some people have asked if I am upset with the accident or what I think about Marc riding on the track again. The answer is simple. I love Marc and he loves motorcycles. Therefore, I will do everything in my power to help him get back on motorcycles and back on the track as quickly as possible. We should all be so lucky to find such joy as Marc finds through motorcycles.
    And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

Very well put Monica!

As always, Monica makes several great points . . .

A few pieces of additional info . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Monica View Post
    (and with that in mind, I want to thank everyone Marc has already mentioned AND thank everyone that packed the trailer AND thank JJ for his ability to get shit done - quickly, efficiently, and without asking me any questions that I couldn't answer anyway. I sincerely apologize if Marc or I didn't mention someone who helped - neither of us were quite right in the head.)
    I am certain that there are many people who helped that I don't even realize. Please know that all help is appreciated, even if we neglected to mention it . . .

*The motorcyclist and caregiver need to know ahead of time who will make medical decisions should the motorcyclist be unable to do so. If the caregiver is not related to the motorcyclist, by blood or by law - it probably isn't the caregiver.

*The above can also apply to who can stay in the hospital room - especially in the ICU.
    I couldn't agree more. Yes, we have truly talked about this on several occasions. It might be a hard conversation to initiate, but ensuring that both people are on the same sheet of music when times are tumultuous, is more important than any of us can explain.

Another note, if you are the girlfriend, boyfriend or other non-related person, make sure that you have the ability to contact someone who can make important legal and medical decisions. Again, trying to figure this stuff out in the middle of a crisis can be overwhelming. Know the info ahead of time!

*Once the caregiver is with the motorcyclist - don't leave. I refuse to leave Marc alone in a hospital room - he uses phrases like "I can feel that" when he is in excruciating pain and he refuses to record the name, dose, and timing of the medications he is taking. I have heard too many horror stories of tired nurses making mistakes - so I think every patient needs an advocate.
    I wish I could call BS on this, but I truly can't. I am guilty of not accurately explaining things. Having someone present that can help you is very important. I am very guilty of "being a man" and just pushing through things when it makes more sense to stop and deal with it.

And even thought I am uncomfortable with discussing emotions - some people have asked if I am upset with the accident or what I think about Marc riding on the track again. The answer is simple. I love Marc and he loves motorcycles. Therefore, I will do everything in my power to help him get back on motorcycles and back on the track as quickly as possible. We should all be so lucky to find such joy as Marc finds through motorcycles.
    And this simply defines how awesome Monica is and truly lucky I am . . . (for the record, the joy I get from riding doesn't even come close to what Monica brings to my life . . . just sayin')
    Last edited by ghostrider_9; Fri Oct 14th, 2011 at 12:03 PM.

Marc..... glad to hear you're doing much better.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Like Matty said -- glad you are healing up Buddy!! We can always replace a bike but we can't replace you!

Marc and Monica, thank you for sharing your story. Hope Marc will have a quick recovery.

I agree, you can always replace a bike.... .

Good job on the write up. I read the whole thing.

A few years ago, I broke my collarbone on Lookout Mountain when a driver turned left in front of me. While I was in the doctor's office, an attractive young Wiccan lady told me to take Glucosamine and Chondoitin, and my shoulder quickly healed up good a new. (It's also supposed to be good for your joints.)

You gotta love those pretty witches and their homeopathic medicine!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja2 View Post
    I agree, you can always replace a bike.... .
    ... with a DRZ!

Then you can wreck it all you want, and it keeps coming back for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Then you can wreck it all you want, and it keeps coming back for more.
    Kinda like me?

Re: medical decisions, a durable medical power of attorney is so important and an easy form to follow can be found on google.

09 Yamaha FZ6R
    08 Yamaha XT250