Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well, Pikes Peak just got lame

Re: Well, Pikes Peak just got lame

Just wait until a Formula 1 team decides to enter the race. Then it's game over. Record will fall to just 4 minutes. Honestly, I'd love to hear a F1 car or GP bike even screaming up the mountain. I might actually go to a race for once. Hate to say it(being as I'm a Springs native) but I never really cared about the Hill Climb. I thought it was cool and all, but it never really did much for me. Now it might...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Just wait until a Formula 1 team decides to enter the race. Then it's game over. Record will fall to just 4 minutes. Honestly, I'd love to hear a F1 car or GP bike even screaming up the mountain. I might actually go to a race for once. Hate to say it(being as I'm a Springs native) but I never really cared about the Hill Climb. I thought it was cool and all, but it never really did much for me. Now it might...
    When The Monster ran his Escudo, or the Big Rigs or the Open-Wheel cars would run, it was pretty F*in cool. An F1 car would be awesome, but there was something about the dirt/gravel/paved cars and bikes that made them unique like nothing will ever be again.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Hmmm .... I wonder how a 250cc shifter kart on alcohol running ground effects would do.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Hmmm .... I wonder how a 250cc shifter kart on alcohol running ground effects would do.

Needs a turbo for the altitude.

Or, you could turbo one of these:
    http://www.arielatom.com/specs/atom-500-v8
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Needs a turbo for the altitude.

Or, you could turbo one of these:
    http://www.arielatom.com/specs/atom-500-v8
    Yes please!
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Yes please!

Yeah, IF I ever won the lottery that would be my #1 purchase.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I honestly plan on building an Atom based vehicle as soon as I can come up with the funds (read: 15 years from now). If I won the lotto tomorrow I'd build a frame based on theirs, but power it with a fully bolted SRT-4 or Cobalt SS motor.

except that now there will be many more deaths as road race heroes throw themselves off the mtn. I give it 3 more years tops.
    are they not still finding corpse here and there in The Garden of The Gods on an annual basis?

IF I ever won the lottery
    awh yes....poor man's 401K. but like they say cant win it if you dont play.....hehehheeheh

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    but like they say cant win it if you dont play.....

Sadly, your odds of winning are roughly the same whether you play or not...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

that is another way of putting....thought you were gonna write about being hit by airplane debri......

So has anyone who said the speeds will be greater thus making it more likely for deaths because of the new pavement actually seen the last area to be paved?

My guess would be alot of records will be broken but not by huge margins in most cases. The fastest sections have mainly be paved for a few years now. A couple of the fastest sections are also the areas with big drop offs.

It is my understanding that one of the 4 deaths since 1916 was a motorcycle rider who missed a turn because of poor visibility from dust.

Racers die in all aspects of racing every year. There is no perfectly safe motorsport racing. In my opinion the hill being fully paved does not make it any less safe.
    A lot of people who ride watch races and say... I could
    do that! The fact is most can't and some that could won't evert try it. All you have to do is signup. I heard signup closes Jan 31st this year.

I bet it would be fun, what are all you waiting for
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Quote Originally Posted by hcr25 View Post

I thought I saw your name on the roster.

the most exotic production car signed up so far is a dodge viper. also, no one ran dirt setups last year, everyone ran slicks or near slicks (nt-01) and were setup for tarmac. and to the haters who say the records should have an asterik do you realize that the track is up to 16 feet skinnier in sections now to allow for the massive concrete ditches (8 feet on both sides wide)? and that the road is about 4 inches higher than the shoulder? they lost a significant amount of racing space and can no longer ditch hook the corners. it didnt become easy-mode being paved.

last year at the awards banquet tajima said he would return with an all new vehicle so i am pumped to see that assuming its still happening.

Quote Originally Posted by hcr25 View Post
    So has anyone who said the speeds will be greater thus making it more likely for deaths because of the new pavement actually seen the last area to be paved?

My guess would be alot of records will be broken but not by huge margins in most cases. The fastest sections have mainly be paved for a few years now. A couple of the fastest sections are also the areas with big drop offs.

It is my understanding that one of the 4 deaths since 1916 was a motorcycle rider who missed a turn because of poor visibility from dust.

Racers die in all aspects of racing every year. There is no perfectly safe motorsport racing. In my opinion the hill being fully paved does not make it any less safe.
    A lot of people who ride watch races and say... I could
    do that! The fact is most can't and some that could won't evert try it. All you have to do is signup. I heard signup closes Jan 31st this year.

Have u raced it before? What level amateur guys are out there? I'd assume guys with at a bare minimum a few years of racing under their belt. I'm curious to know what it takes to enter that race without being a hazard, one day I'd love to do it

^your money is as good as anyones provided you pass tech and meet the vehicle rules.

Quote Originally Posted by sag View Post
    ^your money is as good as anyones provided you pass tech and meet the vehicle rules.
    I've always believed that a person should have a certain level of skill before full blown racing to avoid being a danger to other riders. I'd definitely apply that to the PP race because it's a different style of race that you don't see/do every day.

I wouldn't go out there as a Pikes Peak "Superstreet" rider. I'd want to know the ins and outs better first.

Also a Colorado Springs native here... never really cared for the hill climb race.

Then again I only went to the summit of Pikes Peak for the first time in 2010.

Another interesting tidbit... never been skiing or snowboarding either! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

I have not raced it before. That being said I do agree that a certain level of experience should be under ones belt before they should race the hill. I have been told that this year they will be more critical on experience then ever before. Not so much because it's fully paved but because of bow many entries they will have. My guess is that a good number of people will get turned down.

I am very excited to have been already put on the competitors list for 2012. Beyond getting approved for the race there is the entry fee for the exhibition powersport class is $800 if you signup now. That in itself will weed out a lot of people.
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Actually, no. You "apply" to be in the race and have to list your experience, etc. Then they let you know if you have been accepted or not. They dont take just anyone, and are being especially cautious about sportbike riders since this will really be the first year for them.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

well with cars they take many people with very little experience. obviously people who are intimidated by the idea of racing it in the first place weed themselves out.

well with cars they take many people with very little experience. obviously people who are intimidated by the idea of racing it in the first place weed themselves out.
    Not true. My friend has a race license and had done at least 2yrs of SCCA rally but they turned him down when he wanted to do it in 2007 (or 06, can't quite remember).
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

the most exotic production car signed up so far is a dodge viper. also, no one ran dirt setups last year, everyone ran slicks or near slicks (nt-01) and were setup for tarmac. and to the haters who say the records should have an asterik do you realize that the track is up to 16 feet skinnier in sections now to allow for the massive concrete ditches (8 feet on both sides wide)? and that the road is about 4 inches higher than the shoulder? they lost a significant amount of racing space and can no longer ditch hook the corners. it didnt become easy-mode being paved.

last year at the awards banquet tajima said he would return with an all new vehicle so i am pumped to see that assuming its still happening.
    Dude, seriously, where are you getting your information?

- No one has ever run slicks. Ever since the paving started the rulebook has stated in several places *NO SLICKS*, and it still does for 2012.
    - There is nowhere where the road is 16' skinnier after having been paved. It's a two lane road, a standard lane of traffic is 11' wide, no way you could feasibly make it 16' narrower and still have a road.
    - There are no "massive concrete ditches" anywhere. Just after they finished paving in September I drove the road in with a high-def video camera mounted on the hood of my truck and have watched the video at least 40 times to get ready for the race. There are a few concrete drainage inlets here and there (that were there long before the paving started) and none are 8' wide. The gravel drainage ditches that have always been there are still there if drivers want to try to hook them, though with an asphalt car that's rarely the fastest way around a turn.
    - The asphalt is not 4" higher than the rest of the gravel, they add dirt/gravel to bring the shoulders up to grade with the road surface. Sure, it erodes away but they are constantly maintaining it. They are even doing it in the video I have.

We ran this race a few times in the 80's when it was all dirt, and ever since I started roadracing I've been counting the days till it was paved.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

my Facebook, SpeedShots

I'll always miss the dirt, to that end, here's a 2011 clip video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=64FgxeZOG8c

GSXR-Sidecar FOR THE...Um...I'm not sure.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson