Thread: 1pc Suit Questions

1pc Suit Questions

So, I'm considering buying a 1pc suit for my typical street riding and a (very) occasional track day. I got the idea after finding that I couldn't ride HPR with my current gear, and I'd like to try that at least once or twice. I'm not too dissatisfied with my current 2pc setup, though the the jacket doesn't always overlap the pants very well. But I've been reading around the web and searched these forums, and haven't found great answers to some of my questions.

1) Does a suit have an advantage over separates for typical street riding? I'm not a huge risk-taker but I do like to push it occasionally.

2) Where do you keep your stuff? I very rarely go out with more than my phone and wallet, but I've yet to see a suit with a pocket. Storage on my bike is pretty nonexistent and inconvenient to get to.
    Last edited by jmack; Sat Jan 28th, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
    http://www.jmack.net/
    2009 Triumph Street Triple R

a part of hell where its always warm and the roads are to die for

Re: 1pc Suit Questions

just my opinion im not a fan of 1 peace on the street just for the fact of comfort. dont get me wrong 1 peace is comfy but not if your walking around allot. if your really looking for one peace maybe give one of these a shot you may like

agv willow. cheap price but good first suit. its comfy and has good air flow
    and has 2 inside pockets.
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ther-Suit.aspx

alpinestar CR good suit has allot of flex to it but all the armor as needed
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...iece-Suit.aspx

when it comes to carrying stuff tank or tail bag is your best bet.
    performance cycle has good deals on tank bags.
    you can also check motogear outlet or let it ride. faymyers has some but i think there a little over priced

but make sure your size is right big thing with a 1 peace is fit size if you use a say 54 jacket maybe go up one size all brands run diff in sizing. my normal jacket size is 48 but my spidi one peace is 1 size smaller where my technic one piece is one size bigger but they fit the same.

hope it helps
    Last edited by Fumet5uNo; Sat Jan 28th, 2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: add

1pc:
    Pros - no middle zipper to bunch up, aero riding position.
    Cons - makes going to bathrooms difficult, no pockets.

2pc:
    Pros - usually a couple more pockets, comfort and convenience on the street, easy to mix/match sizes if you're not off-the-rack sized.
    Cons - zipper gets in the way

For one or two track days a 2pc with 360* zipper is sufficient; Alpinestars makes a couple good quality jacket/pant combos. 90% of the time on the street, the 2pc comfort and convenience trumps a 1pc.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

my .02

One piece suits are superior for protection in a slide. Why are you wearing protection in the first place?

Both my suits(joe rocket& a-stars) have interior pockets large enough for my cell phone and wallet.

Check out the closeout rack at Performance. They have one piece a-stars suits for around $600
    Last edited by Gramps; Sat Jan 28th, 2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

a part of hell where its always warm and the roads are to die for

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    my .02

One piece suits are superior for protection in a slide. Why are you wearing protection in the first place?

Both my suits(joe rocket& a-stars) have interior pockets large enough for my cell phone and wallet.

Check out the closeout rack at Performance. They have ome one piece a-stars suits for around $600
    That is a great price +1 u can try them on

I find 1pc are way more comfortable while riding. Walking around isn't bad if you unzip it a lil. But trying to sit anywhere like at a restaurant or taking a shit makes it a pain in the ass!!! However, walking around with the top half hanging off your waist hitting things as you walk by does make you feel like a bad ass!!! Hahaha. My only complaint is lack of pockets...

It's kinda one of those, make a descion and deal with it, purchases.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Who told you that you can't run a two piece setup at HPR? I have never seen anyone have a problem getting on the track with one and until this year, that is what I have always had as well. This includes tracks such as HPR, Pueblo, Hallett, and even Miller.

I will echo the same thing as above. On the street, a two-piece setup is a lot more convenient and as long as you actually zip the zipper, should offer comparable amounts of safety.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Comfort is going to be a big variable for either a 1 or 2 piece suit depending on how you're built. When I bought a 2 piece 10 years ago, I got sized separately for the jacket and the pants, and it was comfortable. When I shopped for a 1 piece, I had some troubles since I am a lotta leg (34" inseam) but skinny. On the track, it is mostly a non-factor - adrenaline makes anything fit well.

IMHO I'd get a good 2-piece leather suit with a full zipper. This would let you wear the pieces separately if you're not going ATGATT and you could replace 1/2 in the event of a crash or whatever. A 1 piece is likely safest, no doubt since the is one less place it could separate if you crashed, but a good 2 piece is going to be a lot of protection.

Also, you should be able to wear a 2-piece leather suit for track days. I wore a 2-piece for my first track day, was hooked, and immediately bought a track bike, 1-piece suit, and race-oriented boots. So I suppose the danger of a 2-piece suit on the track is that it could become very expensive.
    MRA #88
    Keeping it midpack since 2010!

AFAIK, 2pc suits are Ok at HPR as long as they zip together all the way around (not just that tiny 6" zip-strip some 2pc suits have).

I've got both 1pc and 2pc suits. I only ride the track in my 1pc since I know it won't come apart if I go down. I've seen 2pc suits come apart at the zipper, and that defeats the point of wearing the suit for protection.

On the street it mostly depends on weather and the nature of the ride. I've got more selection in Mix N Match with my multiple 2pc combinations, so I can tailor what I ride to the weather. My 1pc suits are both ventilated/perforated so they're not ideal if it's chilly. They are also a pita for non-bike activities like restaurants and taking a shit.

My 2pc suits have more pockets (in that my 1pc suits have none) but I do hate how they bunch up at the waist where the jacket overlaps the pants. I also find that in a tuck over the tank the neck of my one jacket likes to push into my throat.

So, really, it's going to be a matter of preference for you.

Fwiw, I would suggest you get a good, high-quality 2pc with a full zipper. You can use it on the track and on the street and since you'll only be doing 1-2 track days a year, it's probably the better investment.

OTOH, you can ride on the street in a 1pc, you just lose some convenience.

And, unlike a 2pc, be sure you size your 1pc very carefully. Since you can't Mix N Match, you have to find the one size that fits you best. This can vary by brand since while they're all marked the same size, they can be cut differently, so some will be tighter/looser or longer in the legs/chest etc. Eventually I went to a fully custom 1pc since I was sick of off-the-shelf 1pc suits not quite fitting perfectly enough.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

For the occasional track use, I would get a 2 piece that zips together. As others have already stated a 2 piece is significantly more comfortable and will provide 95% of the protection of a 1 piece. I generally don't zip mine together but that's just me being lazy.

It's difficult to sit down in a booth or on another other then a stool in a 1 piece when you stop for lunch. Stopping for lunch is my favorite part of the ride!
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Quote Originally Posted by Joew4505 View Post
    Who told you that you can't run a two piece setup at HPR?
    What I read on the website is that the two piece has to zip together. Mine doesn't...

A matched two piece with full zip is on the table. But I figured if I was going to buy a new setup, I should at least consider a 1pc.

If your current jacket/pant combo is still good, you can also look into just sewing a full circumference zipper to it, at a much lower cost. There are several places in town that fix racer leathers.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I've got an A* GP Pro 2 piece that is awesome. No issues with bunching zippers or even storage for that matter. It has two forward zipped pockets on the front of the jacket, no pockets in the pants, but a few inside the jacket, which also has a removeable liner. It zips all the way around the waist and fits nice and tight. Best way to go, I think.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Check out 303 Cycles if you consider going with a 1 piece. I got a serious hook up on a Teknic Violator, set of ASV shorty levers and a set of Rs Taichi vented short gloves (less than 1K). They also carry some 2 piece units as well. They also have good deals on RS Taichi suits(very popular witht he Sport Bike Rider staff). And if you spend over like 500 they give you a punch card for $35.00 of your next purchase.
    Q: Why do you insist on wearing all that leather?
    A: I'd rather sweat than bleed!

shawn..415.624.7768

Today I picked up an A* Trigger at Performance for $600. The new suit will be replacing my AGV. I have ridden nothing but one piece. Just my opinion, but I want the most protection and comfort as possible. I seem to get that from the one piece. I would go to Performance and try one on. Good luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I've got an A* GP Pro 2 piece that is awesome.
    Sarge, how's the ventilation on the GP Pro? I've seen that A* doesn't perforate their 2pc suits like they do their 1pc ones.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    If your current jacket/pant combo is still good, you can also look into just sewing a full circumference zipper to it, at a much lower cost. There are several places in town that fix racer leathers.
    +1 Should cost you less then $30.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Quote Originally Posted by jmack View Post
    Sarge, how's the ventilation on the GP Pro? I've seen that A* doesn't perforate their 2pc suits like they do their 1pc ones.
    +1 Not sure why that is, there are other manufacturers who also don't perforate 2pc suits.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

I have an Astars 2 piece zip together. It is not perforated but it is vented. Fine for track days and like others have said, much more versatile for street riding.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Yeah, unless you are planning on racing, a two-piece is the way to go. I've had both and found the two-piece good for all-around use.

Works for track-days, yet comfortable for spirited riding in the canyons and walking in.
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    2015 Ducati Monster 1200s Stripe
    And Freakin' Old

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I think you swayed me towards a two piece setup. It sounds like it would be more practical and I won't be hitting the track enough to justify a one piece.

Now the hunt begins for something new...

Yeah I was going to say, for the street and occassional track day, a two piece will be fine. Not saying a 1 piece wouldn't be better though. The 2-piece will come in handy when you do goto a restaurant, sit down, and unzip the jacket portion and let it hang down by the waist.

The 1 piece once unzipped down to the waist tends to unzip all the way, wants to fall down and let all your sh*t hang out.