Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nuclear war with Iran?

Nuclear war with Iran?

A few stories about this recently. Kind of plays into the whole end of the world scenario.

Isreal may strike Iran by Spring. Small scale nuclear warfare on the table.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta is expressing new concerns about Iran's underground nuclear program, this time telling Washington Post columnist David Ignatius he's worried Israel may decide to attack it as early as this spring.

Traveling with the defense secretary in Brussels to cover his meeting with NATO defense ministers, Ignatius writes, "Panetta believes there is a strong likelihood that Israel will strike Iran in April, May or June.”
    This is the first time we've heard such a specific timeframe. Fox News has previously reported concerns from former members of President Obama's national security team that a unilateral strike from Israel could occur sometime in 2012 and that Central Command has been planning for the possibility the U.S. could be drawn in.

Panetta and the administration have made clear in recent weeks that Iran would cross a "red line" by developing a bomb and that if that occurred, all options, including military action, would be on the table.
    But Israel is less patient. It appears Israeli officials' red line would be crossed when Iran has the material to build a bomb. In other words, it appears they believe that by this spring Iran will have stockpiled enough highly enriched uranium to produce a nuclear warhead.

By that point, it will be too late for Israel to act alone. Unlike the United States, Israel does not have the capacity to strike Iran's hardened enrichment facilities 200 feet underground. That, along with Iran's arsenal of missiles that can reach Israel, add to Panetta's concerns that Israel is preparing to strike as early as this spring.

There are essentially two obvious methods for striking the underground facility that could be used. The first involves the Pentagon’s newly developed Massive Ordnance Penetrator, known simply as the MOP. The largest of its kind, it's a 30,000 pound bunker-busting bomb designed to hit underground targets. Yet in a recent interview with the Wall Street Journal, Panetta acknowledged the MOP has some shortcomings and needs further development to reach areas as deeply buried as Iran's nuclear facilities.

Since the MOP is the largest conventional weapon in the U.S. arsenal, the second option could involve using smaller-scale nuclear weapons. It's not likely a card the Obama administration would play, one that would make him the first president since Harry Truman to drop a nuclear bomb.

Another clue about Israel's intent was the sudden cancellation of long-planned joint U.S.-Israeli military exercises that would have culminated in live-fire drills this May. The Israelis apologized for postponing the exercises, and a Pentagon spokesmen said at the time of the cancellation the Israelis explained they needed to postpone in order to "assume optimum participation," suggesting their forces could be needed elsewhere.

Former Defense Secretary Robert Gates was asked Tuesday about getting into a new war, telling CNN’s John King, "If Iraq and Afghanistan has taught us anything in recent history, it is the unpredictability of war and that these things are easier to get into than to get out of."

He added, "This is, I think, one of the toughest foreign policy problems I have ever seen since entering the government 45 years ago."
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Re: Nuclear war with Iran?

Israel will strike Iran in April, May or June.”
    i knew that Mayan calender was shit....

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Why does that part of the world have to be so fucked up? I wouldn't blame Israel....but that still sux for the rest of us.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Blow it all up, whoever's left we'll make friends with and steal all their oil.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

YES THE OIL.....GOTTA HAVE THE OIL....

War with Iran itself isn't scary. The US can easily defeat Iran.

It's the aspect of nuclear war that worries me. That's a line once crossed, there's no going back.

Such callous ignorance. Studied ignorance, blissful ignorance. Adherence to outdated and malevolent allegiance to nation states. And the people suffer, the people pay for such folly.

I have so many friends and loved ones who have nothing to gain from any of this who will die as the result of an Israeli attack I am just sickened and sad.

And my fellow countrymen talk of death on this scale as if they were speaking of a football game. These are human beings. An monstrous intention of extermination of mass proportion by the same people who decried the use of techniques of mass extermination when they were the targets. I guess it really does matter whose ox it is being gored.

How quickly people forget.

I remember the bodies of those little kids in Iranian schools, the photos of their poor convulsed little bodies laying there, wearing those little colorful golashes, after Saddam gassed them with weapons of mass destruction sold to him by Uncle Sam. My friends killed in that war with Iraq. Some who destroyed their lives later.

Mamleket'eh broken-ha.

Mercy on the people of Iran who have no say-so in any of this, whose leaders will sacrifice them and expose them to this sort of suffering with no ability to stop it.

I'm so disgusted. --Father forgive them, they know not what they are doing.
    Drama is a poor substitute for adventure. (c)2011

Can't we just send a tactical nuke to take out the leadership? I'm thinking bunker buster with a nuclear warhead ought to do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    Can't we just send a tactical nuke to take out the leadership? I'm thinking bunker buster with a nuclear warhead ought to do the trick.
    Cycle Monkey, that you?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Cycle Monkey, that you?
    I don't want to take out the populace, just some with egos so big they'll more than willingly hand over their entire country's lives to make themselves happy.

Oh wait, that's damned near every country I can think of...

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Cycle Monkey, that you?

What are you saying Ghost? We should just sit back and watch it happen

The problem is China and Russia buy the bulk of Iranian oil.
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    War with Iran itself isn't scary. The US can easily defeat Iran.

It's the aspect of nuclear war that worries me. That's a line once crossed, there's no going back.
    There is no such thing as "war with Iran itself". There are significant national superpowers on both sides of this thing that would find themselves reversing decades of peaceful coexistence rather quickly. Military action against Iran could very well bring about WW3, though I think the world has been headed towards that path for some time now. We haven't had an old fashioned human-triggered mass extinction event like that in years, and I'm sure generals worldwide are just itching to bomb the fuck out of something.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

That's probably true. We've been marching down the path of self annihilation for decades now (as a species).

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    There is no such thing as "war with Iran itself". There are significant national superpowers on both sides of this thing that would find themselves reversing decades of peaceful coexistence rather quickly. Military action against Iran could very well bring about WW3, though I think the world has been headed towards that path for some time now. We haven't had an old fashioned human-triggered mass extinction event like that in years, and I'm sure generals worldwide are just itching to bomb the fuck out of something.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by stubbicatt View Post
    Such callous ignorance. Studied ignorance, blissful ignorance. Adherence to outdated and malevolent allegiance to nation states. And the people suffer, the people pay for such folly.

I have so many friends and loved ones who have nothing to gain from any of this who will die as the result of an Israeli attack I am just sickened and sad.

And my fellow countrymen talk of death on this scale as if they were speaking of a football game. These are human beings. An monstrous intention of extermination of mass proportion by the same people who decried the use of techniques of mass extermination when they were the targets. I guess it really does matter whose ox it is being gored.

How quickly people forget.

I remember the bodies of those little kids in Iranian schools, the photos of their poor convulsed little bodies laying there, wearing those little colorful golashes, after Saddam gassed them with weapons of mass destruction sold to him by Uncle Sam. My friends killed in that war with Iraq. Some who destroyed their lives later.

Mamleket'eh broken-ha.

Mercy on the people of Iran who have no say-so in any of this, whose leaders will sacrifice them and expose them to this sort of suffering with no ability to stop it.

I'm so disgusted. --Father forgive them, they know not what they are doing.
    So what would you do? Iran has made it very clear it doesnt give a damn about anything. If i was in iran i would have jumped ship long ago.

Luckily I was just part of a pretty sweet mission out here:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...rsonic-weapon/

After seeing the things I've seen I'd be scared shitless if I was Iran
    Current bike: 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure (63k miles)
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    That's probably true. We've been marching down the path of self annihilation for decades now (as a species).
    Just think of it as a way of......adding chlorine to the gene pool.......
    ......Kidding.

Ok, I certainly understand Israel's concern. They are surrounded by bitter enemies, who have shown a willingness and eagerness to slaughter innocent athletes (Olympics), and blow up civilians. Iran is crazy enough to actually USE nuclear weapons should the ever have the capacity. As small as Israel is, it could wipe out most of it. I'd rather NOT use nuclear weapons, but Iran can't be allowed to acquire the capacity to build them. Pakistan shouldn't have been allowed either, or, going back further, ANYONE, but we f#cked that up.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Great post StubbiCat. Reminded me of that old Sting song, "Do the Russians Love Their Children Too?" Sounds goofy, but if you think hard, it brings up one of the deeper underlying principles of why it's called "M.A.D.", mutually assured destruction. And there's no way any strike on Iran wouldn't turn into a complete global clusterfuck. The Russians have already shown they're sympathy for Syria & Iran (not exactly our allies, quite the opposite). The only reason China isn't as hardcore against us is that their economy depends on America's health. Otherwise you can bet they'd already have thrown us under the bus!

I'm not anti-JudeoChristian by any means, but Israelis & Palistinians need to be put on a LEASH. Their shenannigans and inability to compromise in the slightest, has been a huge thorn for us, and only helped our political and economic decline the last 20+ years especially. Ugh, it's ridiculous. Put Gingrich or Romney in office and that'll give Israel even MORE free-reign to fuck up that region beyond what it is already, AND PULL US RIGHT INTO IT, imho.

I for one am pretty sick of war by now. We now have an entire generation of children who have never known peacetime? That's pathetic. Again, I'm not anti-Christian or anti-Israel. But I'm as wary of them, as I am of extemist Islam.

CycleMonkey: I agree, Iran shouldn't be allowed to go nuclear. WAY TO dangerous, those more radical Muslims in their government have too itchy a trigger finger and no remorse about killing non-Muslims, as history has shown. Hence the dilemma, with no easy answer. Like Robert Gates, I feel sorry for the current administration.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Yes Iran shouldn't be allowed to go nuclear. However they've made it clear that they aren't stopping, essentially calling the bluffs of the US and Israel, among other nations. They know that we know that an attack on them would quite likely trigger a global clusterfuck we have never seen before, and they are playing that card in the poker game of all time.

If diplomacy doesn't solve it real soon, get ready for something real bad. Iraq/Afghanistan will look like a warmup run.

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I can see the far-left Libs and Liberts squirming in their pants when Obama (and Panetta) stated very recently that "ALL options are on the table", concerning Iran. Scary...
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    I can see the far-left Libs and Liberts squirming in their pants when Obama (and Panetta) stated very recently that "ALL options are on the table", concerning Iran. Scary...
    Anyone that graduated high school should be squirming right now. It's not hard to play out most of the scenarios that would come from this. But then what do you do? Attack non-nuclear Iran and deal with the very possible ramifications from other nuclear countries? Or wait until they have nukes and missiles that could reach us, and make it worse? They'd probably use it, whereas the other larger countries are far more likely to stick with large-scale but conventional warfare.

Ah fuck it. WOLVERINES!!!

than sincere ignorance

Hahaa RedDawn, nice. Yeah, they might not be able to reach our homeland, but they sure as hell have already proven they can reach our bases and allies. It's amazing what gobs of oil money and stolen technology can buy a bunch of former uncivilized desert-trekking bedouins. So sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Anyone that graduated high school should be squirming right now. It's not hard to play out most of the scenarios that would come from this. But then what do you do? Attack non-nuclear Iran and deal with the very possible ramifications from other nuclear countries? Or wait until they have nukes and missiles that could reach us, and make it worse? They'd probably use it, whereas the other larger countries are far more likely to stick with large-scale but conventional warfare.

Ah fuck it. WOLVERINES!!!
    I don't believe it would go global if we simply struck Iran with the Israelis. There's far too much for them to lose over....what? Russia has plenty of it's own oil.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Hahaa RedDawn, nice. Yeah, they might not be able to reach our homeland, but they sure as hell have already proven they can reach our bases and allies. It's amazing what gobs of oil money and stolen technology can buy a bunch of former uncivilized desert-trekking bedouins. So sad really.
    I heard something this morning about them developing a long range missile that could hit mainland US.

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    I don't believe it would go global if we simply struck Iran with the Israelis. There's far too much for them to lose over....what? Russia has plenty of it's own oil.
    I disagree with you, but hope you're right.

than sincere ignorance