Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Oil VS. Automotive oil

Motorcycle Oil VS. Automotive oil

Has anyone used automotive car oil on a motorcycle?

I was watching a video about someone doing an oil change on their bike and they used automotive oil. They mentioned that using automotive oil is exactly the same as motorcycle oil and that the only difference between these oils is that motorcycle prices are just too expensive.

But from this article, it mentions that car oil messes up the clutch.

http://www.husqvarnaoutlet.com/the_t...automotive_oil

Re: Motorcycle Oil VS. Automotive oil

Automotive oils have friction modifiers that wreak havoc with wet clutches. No no.. stay away!!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Bunch of threads here and on most bike forums I'm on or have been on ask this question.

You'll get every possible answer, and I know some people who run auto or even truck oil in their bikes.

But, for my bike, I only ever run moto-only (synthetic) oils.

If it's saving $3 who cares? Bikes aren't cheap, they're hobbies--and, as such, are by definition a waste of money. So, by that light, you may as well dump the better and bike-specific oil into it.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Agreed with Ghost.

You'll get guys who have run 100K miles with no clutch issues from automotive oil, and you'll get guys who ran automotive for the first time and within 100 miles their clutch was toast.

I prefer to play it safe and use motorcycle specific.

If you really wanna dump money into your bike, look at full synthetic motorcycle specific Royal Purple and Amsoil... $13+ per quart, and most bikes use around 3.5...
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Or get a bike with a dry clutch... Love that rattle rattle first thing in the morning. Although in my case, this only encourages use of those even more expensive motorcycle specific oils with the friction modifiers which will truly ruin a wet clutch.

Use what the manufacturer recommends and be happy.
    Drama is a poor substitute for adventure. (c)2011

I used motorcycle oil a couple of times a long time ago.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Ah yes.... this thread. We were due!

:Waits for Rybo to come in and drop some knowledge:
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

they don't call it "friction modifiers" any longer. Now the carton is labeled "energy conserving"

same shit that fucks up clutches.

I use diesel oil in my bikes.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Stay away from the energy conserving oils, change it regularly, and you'll be fine. I've run all brands of auto oils in my bikes for the better part of three decades and never had any issues.

The rating circle on the label tells you if it's energy conserving. If the bottom part of the circle is blank, you're good.

Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I vote we move on to tires
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    I vote we move on to tires
    I like my tires like I like my.........tires. Black and round.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

And for the guy named Barn who made a special request -

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    I love the oil debate......

Here is what I know as fact:

Not all oils are created equal

Not all synthetic oils are created equal

Not all bottles labled synthetic really are.

WHAT???!!??

Yep, it's true, not all bottles marked as full synthetic really are. In the late 80s-early 90s Mobil sued castrol over the latters use of "grade 3 base stock" as the starting point for their synthetic oil. Grade 3 stock is the best of the "dino" oil, but it is not a synthetic. Mobil lost the case because castrol claimed that "synthetic" referred to the process used and the addives included with the oil, not just the origins of the base stock. Since then all of the major car oil makers have used grade 3 base stocks for their car oil with the exceptions of Mobil and Amsoil.

Full synthetic motor oil (the real meal deal) has some serious advantages over the dino types. The biggest advantage is that every componenet can be engineered to meet the demands placed on the oil. Also, because it's an engineered product molecule size is consistent from drop to drop, bottle to bottle. This means as the engine heats and cools the oil remains consistent.

From real world experience: As I was growing up we had a 16' ski boat with a mercury outboard engine. This required 2 cycle oil and my dad always insisted on using syntetic oil in it. When the engine reached 5000 hours the service manual called for an overhaul and the replacement of the pistons. When we got it apart every piston measured well within the tolearance range specified as "new" even though they had 5K hours on them. This boat was run hard, pulling slalom skiiers most of the time it was on the water and the oil proved to be very effective. We didn't replace the pistons and ran it until we sold it with no issue.

Here is what I THINK, but don't know for sure.

Motorcycle specific oils are probably not worth the extra money. I would guess that a good portion of the motocycle specific brands are using group 3 base stock, just like the auto industry. Mobile 1 15W 50 works well in both v-twins and inlines and can be had for about $6 a bottle. Other weights in mobil 1 contain friction modifyers that may be bad for your clutch.

Amsoil is a darn good product at a reasonable price. They use the best synthetic base stocks available and their motorcycle specific oils sell for about the same as the mobil 1 listed above. They also offer filters for most bikes.

Changing your oil regularaly is really the key to long engine life. The oil is there to keep things moving and to get contaminants out of your engine. It only has so much capacity to do this. Changing it is the only way to maintain the capacity. I'm doing mine every 3K with a full synthetic. While this is a little expensive, I think it's cheap insurance.

I only use official Harley oil... even on my salad.
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

One thing to think about:

When the API specification for new car oils moved from SG to SH (and beyond), the amount of zinc diphosphate in the additive package dropped dramatically. Zinc acts in oils as an extreme pressure lubricant, helping to prevent galling/metal to metal contact on parts that do not receive direct pressure oiling (flat tappets in car engines, transmission gears in motorcycles, for instance). The zinc had to go because of federal mandates concerning the warranty on emissions controls, particularly rhodium/palladium catalysts, which are poisoned by zinc.

Use of car oils carrying the SH or later API spec can not only cause the aforementioned clutch issues, but in engines that are heavily loaded, can cause galling and pitting of transmission gears and shift forks.

Diesel oils still have sufficient amounts of zinc to provide adequate protection for the transmission, but may not have the correct chemistry to resist shearing at higher RPM.

Full synthetics are definitely the most effective lubricants, but may have some disadvantages in term of leakage and oil consumption, particularly in engines that are older or have very high mileage.

Ok...so that was more than one thing...
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    Diesel oils still have sufficient amounts of zinc to provide adequate protection for the transmission, but may not have the correct chemistry to resist shearing at higher RPM.
    Jim, what if an engine isn't running high RPM's? ie: not a super sport. I've been running Rotella T6 in my 950 per the advice of the Orange Crush forum and it seems to be fine. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Jim, what if an engine isn't running high RPM's? ie: not a super sport. I've been running Rotella T6 in my 950 per the advice of the Orange Crush forum and it seems to be fine. Any thoughts?
    You should be fine. The issues seem to arise on large diameter plain (not roller or ball) bearings over about 10,000 rpm, in extended usage. Most street bikes will not see any problems. The problem is more about reduced oil life (viscosity breakdown) than any catastrophic failure. Accelerated wear can occur if oil change intervals are stretched.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

You should be fine. The issues seem to arise on large diameter plain (not roller or ball) bearings over about 10,000 rpm, in extended usage. Most street bikes will not see any problems. The problem is more about reduced oil life (viscosity breakdown) than any catastrophic failure. Accelerated wear can occur if oil change intervals are stretched.
    Thank you, sir. I didn't think there would be a problem, but it's nice to hear it from an expert. I would LOVE to stretch the oil change intervals (it's such a pita) but I can't do that to my bike. :thumb:

Dear Jim,

what if I didn't get my wife a valentine's day gift yet? She had a card waiting for me by the coffee pot this morning when I woke up. I told her I was waiting for Vday cards to go on clearance.

Sincerely,

Wanting in Windsor

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ free oil analysis test kits
    Last edited by TinkerinWstuff; Tue Feb 14th, 2012 at 10:10 AM.

1999 DR650SE

Dear Jim,

what if I didn't get my wife a valentine's day gift yet? She had a card waiting for me by the coffee pot this morning when I woke up. I told her I was waiting for Vday cards to go on clearance.

Sincerely,

Wanting in Windsor

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ free oil analysis test kits
    You are screwd. The only solution is the application of rare metals, crystaline minerals, and severed plant genitals.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Dear Jim,

Sincerely,

Wanting in Windsor
    Haha....good stuff.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

That's easy enough I suppose.....just place the bowl of salad underneath the engine cases of a Hardley for a minute, and you should have all the oil you'd need.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

One thing to think about:

When the API specification for new car oils moved from SG to SH (and beyond), the amount of zinc diphosphate in the additive package dropped dramatically. Zinc acts in oils as an extreme pressure lubricant, helping to prevent galling/metal to metal contact on parts that do not receive direct pressure oiling (flat tappets in car engines, transmission gears in motorcycles, for instance). The zinc had to go because of federal mandates concerning the warranty on emissions controls, particularly rhodium/palladium catalysts, which are poisoned by zinc.

Use of car oils carrying the SH or later API spec can not only cause the aforementioned clutch issues, but in engines that are heavily loaded, can cause galling and pitting of transmission gears and shift forks.

Full synthetics are definitely the most effective lubricants, but may have some disadvantages in term of leakage and oil consumption, particularly in engines that are older or have very high mileage.

Ok...so that was more than one thing...
    If I remember right, my '86 Gixxer 1100 and my current '01 Gixxer 1k specified an SF/SG rating. I looked at expensive synthetic oils that carried that rating, but then found Valvoline Max Life, for older cars, that if I remember correctly, carries that rating. It's a little more expensive than regular oils but a LOT less expensive then Amsoil or royal Purple, etc., and is all you'd ever need. It's even semi-synthetic now. I've used it for over 10 years now, and have over 58k on my stock clutch.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)