Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guide me towards a great enduro

Guide me towards a great enduro

I don't think I want a big adventure bike. I also don't think I want a little 250 Yamaha. I do know I want lights and turn signals. I need a suspension that can be tuned to my ample weight plus gear that will be north of 250lbs.

I'm thinking about the DR-Z400 as a perfect choice but I sure would like another couple choices to consider.

Uses would (potentially) include tooling around like an idiot, multi-day cross country rides, playing in a dirt park, all the fireroads that can be accessed around P2P, and single-track without too many whoop dee doos.
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Re: Guide me towards a great enduro

How much you looking to spend.
    Low End - DR650 - Great bike, a little buzzy at speed on the interstate.
    High End - BMW F800GS or similar from BMW.

KTM is considered by many to be the king of the class - I don't have a dog in the hunt :-)

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    I don't think I want a big adventure bike. I also don't think I want a little 250 Yamaha. I do know I want lights and turn signals. I need a suspension that can be tuned to my ample weight plus gear that will be north of 250lbs.

I'm thinking about the DR-Z400 as a perfect choice but I sure would like another couple choices to consider.

Uses would (potentially) include tooling around like an idiot, multi-day cross country rides, playing in a dirt park, all the fireroads that can be accessed around P2P, and single-track without too many whoop dee doos.
    http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcd/2844826790.html

For Sale one 1998 Honda Xr600r dual sport motorcycle. all stock save a Supertrapp Exhaust and a couple Acerbis brake rotor gaurds.
    Trail ridden by an older guy all over the state. This bike has a Colorado Title, so no inspection needed to get a registration and a plate.
    Ready to tackle anything from tight singletrack, 4x4 type roads, to the occasional pavement to get you to the good stuff in the mountians.

I just posted this on Craigslist a few days ago.
    I'll knock 10% off the price for you or any other CSC member.

* Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

^ that or

I have lots o drz parts for sale if you decide to go that route.

Kind of depends on how much street you're looking at, and how much off road. DRZ or WR250 for less expensive off road(and lighter). KTM530EXC in the midrange, a bit futher up the price scale. KTM690 Super Enduro for covering a crapload of miles on and off road, heaviest and most expensive.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I love the idea of a light weight KTM. Price wise, they are a lot. This bike will be in addition to my FZ1 so street wouldn't be more than getting to and from dirt or for multi-day rides, getting gas and or food, and traversing asphalt to get to the next section of dirt.

Really, I love camping and would use this bike for lightweight (similar to backpacking) camping.

I'd like the ability to go 75 or 80 in case there is a highway section I can't avoid.

Planned purchase date sometime in May or June and as late as August...

Been looking for something similar. Unless a magical perfect KTM shows up, I'm looking seriously at the dr650 or xr650(L or R).
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I got my XR650L for that kind of riding. Plenty of oomph for the highway (I've done 75 and there was plenty of motor left) and it pulls like a tractor off idle. It's a little heavy so it's not the best for really rough single track but for just about everything else, I love it. Give Mike's XR600R some serious consideration.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Ahhhh, the eternal question....what's the best bike. Good luck. Sounds like you want your cake and eat it too? Here are some thoughts from my own personal world.

I do know I want lights and turn signals. I need a suspension that can be tuned to my ample weight plus gear that will be north of 250lbs.
    If you aren't going for a full ADV bike, you may need to respring what ever you get based on the weight you want it to carry.

That's a tall order. Multi-day rides and single track are challenging to do with one bike. Not impossible, but challenging. For example, the DRZ can do it, but unless you get a Renazco seat or something, multi-day trips could be painful. Plus, if you are loaded up with gear, you need enough ponies in the engine to get you where you want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by httc84 View Post
    KTM is considered by many to be the king of the class
    Couldn't have said it better myself. (Yes, I am biased)

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    KTM530EXC in the midrange, a bit futher up the price scale. KTM690 Super Enduro for covering a crapload of miles on and off road, heaviest and most expensive.
    The 690 is a sweet bike. The only downside is that it gets pretty vibey at interstate speeds. You can get a really cool rally kit for it too.

I love the idea of a light weight KTM. Price wise, they are a lot. This bike will be in addition to my FZ1 so street wouldn't be more than getting to and from dirt or for multi-day rides, getting gas and or food, and traversing asphalt to get to the next section of dirt.

Really, I love camping and would use this bike for lightweight (similar to backpacking) camping.
    You can do a lot of camping on a big bike. I've never had a problem on my KTM950Adv. The KTM's are high priced, and they require a bit of work, but IMHO they are worth it.

I might suggest riding a few bikes in the 650cc range. Check out the Honda XR650, DR650 and any KTM in that range. I'm not a fan of the KLR and Yamaha doesn't make a good mid range DS bike (that's available in the US). Most of the 650 range is not going to be very comfy at speeds over 65 (dooable, but not like your FZ1). The BMW F800GS is a really nice bike, but pricy. You can look at a V-Strom or Versys, but they are much more on-road oriented. Bash's bike doesn't look to bad, if you don't mind something that's a little older?

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Sean; Wed Feb 15th, 2012 at 08:56 PM.

The XR600 is a great bike, but I'm too friggin old and fat to be kick starting anything but a camp stove...
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

the vibe you guys complain about has more to do with the tires than anything.

I have 90/10 tires on my DR650 and she's smooth as silk.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Look for a WR450. They'll handle anything you'll throw at it, are still fairly light weight, and will do right around 75 or 80 even geared.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

I want more of a dirt oriented DS. The Husky TE310 is what I want. Pricey at $8200. They also make a 449 ($8699) and a 511 ($8999).

http://www.husqvarna-motorcyclesna.com/
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Oh yeah. I forgot about Husqvarna! Nice bikes! The first speech I ever did, in 4th grade, was on Husqvarna and Bultaco Motorcycles. That would have been 1975 I guess...
    Last edited by CaptGoodvibes; Wed Feb 15th, 2012 at 11:44 PM.

I'm looking for the same. I almost opted out of the 450 scene because my crf450 sumo just couldn't handle the highway speeds and seemed like it always needed maintenance.
    Lately I've look at the pros and cons of everything from triumph scramblers to klr650s and decided that the wr450f is probably the way to go. I want dirt/sumo/adventure fun.
    -Already set up with lights
    -Easily get the setup for dirt and sumo
    -Cheap and reliable
    I just don't know how far you could go. I'm guessing a 300 mile camping trip wouldnt be bad but anything out of state might be pushing it.
    Current bike: 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure (63k miles)
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

KTM 510-525-530

I have both a F800GS and a DRZ. The GS is a big bike, it will get you wherever you want but it's a pig offroad. The DRZ is underpowered for adventure riding, I would not want to do any long distance with it either, the vibes would drive me nuts.
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Here's a really nice bike! It's a 600ish, so it'll be vibey at high speeds, but a really solid bike.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=7968

(It's in the regional area of ADV. We aren't really supposed to advertise to non-ADV members as far as I know, but....I'm a rule breaker.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Here's a really nice bike! It's a 600ish, so it'll be vibey at high speeds, but a really solid bike.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=7968
    Are you saying a 600+ is more vibe at speed than, say, a 450?
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    Are you saying a 600+ is more vibe at speed than, say, a 450?
    No, probably the same. I'm saying that anything that's a thumper is vibey at higher speed.

ok - I'm with ya then

1999 DR650SE

My F650GS was ok for longer distance adventure rides, but it (and those like it) are more like 75% road 25% dirt in stock form. I once saw a TransAlp going over the pass to St Mary's Glacier, it was having a tough time in the boulders. Mostly their weight hurts them in the gnarly stuff. One time I rode the beemer out with Matty and others, we got into single track and the WR250s & DRZs left us beemers behind.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Does anyone actually know what single track is?

Hint: Quads don't fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Does anyone actually know what single track is?
    It's like an 8-track...only smaller, right?