Thread: 2 questions about buying a trailer

2 questions about buying a trailer

I'm getting a hitch for a class 2 trailer to pull behind my crappy subaru legacy. I've never bought a trailer before so I have 2 things to discuss:

1) Where can I store a 2-3 bike small to medium sized open trailer, and how much does it cost? Is there so called, trailer parks?

2) When buying, what do I need to do and look for? Do people generally take them on a test drive to make sure the axle isn't fucked up or something? Obviously check tire condition and that all the lights work. Does every trailer of every size HAVE to have a title?

help a dude work his way to his first race season

PS - i'm open to advice on what type to get. The thing is, I want to be able to carry 2 bikes, although most of the time it'll just be one. And I want the ability to carry a couch/mattress on occassion so I don't have to keep borrowing peoples trucks
    Last edited by tecknojoe; Mon Feb 20th, 2012 at 04:21 PM.

Re: 2 questions about buying a trailer

1) Garage? Driveway? Friend's driveway? Back yard?
    1a) Ask around at one of those self storage places. I kept my trailer in my storage unit (one of their outdoor access ones), because I already had other sh*t to store. Maybe they'll cut you a deal and let you park it off in the corner someplace for cheap.

2) Obvious things such as condition and quality play into the price. Cosmetic stuff is easy to fix: rattle can and new wood decking etc. Structurally the frame should be straight, it should tow straight, lights work or fixable etc. Full size car tires are preferred over the little 8" wheels. The smaller wheels turn at high revolutions and the bearings need to be maintained in top shape. Title is either manufacturer, or registered as "home built".
    Last edited by asp_125; Mon Feb 20th, 2012 at 04:45 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

You could take a little bottle jack and check the wheel bearings.
    Yes it has to be titled.
    Try and get as big of wheels as you can. 12+" are nice.
    A lot of people do harbor frieght jobs with success.

I store mine wirh my toyhauler. So my payment is for a 45' spot. There are a lot of storage places with different price structures.

Free candy!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Definitely not doin the second vehicle thing right now. I'm in an apt complex and my garage is pretty stuffed right now. I'll have to search around for a storage place or something to see if someone will allow it for cheap. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to get a $50/month unit for a cheap trailer all year.

I guess another consideration is: do wheels limit the speed? so would the 12+" be able to sustain higher speed out in bumfuck on the way to HPR?

If you are at an apartment, I would just rent a garage there. It is going to cost you around $50 for an outside spot at a rental agency, and the sun and weather rips these things apart. I have left mine out for one season, and I am going to have to redeck it and repaint it.

The van does look like a better gig in the long run, and you can always be the creepy guy cruising by middle-school parking lots.

Yee already have a garage. These damn bikes and tires are takin up too much room

I know it is a pain in the butt, but when I am in a jam, I store the bikes on top of the trailer.

Tires do not really limit the speed.

I have a three rail trailer with 12" tires and have put bearing buddies on it so I can lube then every time I take it out. No problems with it other than it sits outside and the tires rot after about two years.

The smaller tires are not a real concern, BUT if you have a choice get something with a 5 bolt pattern and larger tires.

Marc
    84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT, 2015 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome, 2009 XR1200, 1944 Nimbus, 1989 GB500 https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

eh I've got the bikes along the wall with the tires, tools and shit crammed against the back wall. So i can still park in there. Trying to keep that if I can. So i guess i'm gonna call around to see if there's cheap trailer storage somewhere. It's soooo nice having a warm car in the morning, i'm a spoiled asshole at this point

Joe, you are making it hard to feel sorry for you There is a fold-up trailer from Harbor Freight, but I think it can only carry one bike.

heyhey didn't try to start a pitty thread. Just tryin to see what people think the options are. I'm a spoiled little shit

This is all good info people, thanks

For street/race bikes, you should look around for a small enclosed trailer instead of a typical open rail trailer. Much easier loading, out of the weather, and you can store your gear and the bike inside, out of sight. You do need a good secure place for it all, or someone will make off with the trailer and everything inside it. Ask Rybo.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    For street/race bikes, you should look around for a small enclosed trailer instead of a typical open rail trailer. Much easier loading, out of the weather, and you can store your gear and the bike inside, out of sight. You do need a good secure place for it all, or someone will make off with the trailer and everything inside it. Ask Rybo.
    For an enclosed trailer, get something besides a Subaru Legacy to pull it with unless you hate your car. The wind drag of even a small enclosed trailer is going to put a lot of extra stress on that poor little car.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Yea it would be nice but I'm definitely gonna get an open trailer. I want the weight savings + the ability to carry a couch or other ish

I feel for Rybo. I remember seeing that thread. I hope the thief is in a desert in arizona be eaten by spiders

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Yeah, that day sucked.

For the use and conditions you're describing I would get an all metal three rail and bolt a diamond plate truck bed box to the tongue. That way you have some weatherproof storage for tiedowns and stuff and still are pretty low profile behind the car.