Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum Newbie, Moving to Colorado, some questions non bike and bike related

Forum Newbie, Moving to Colorado, some questions non bike and bike related

Hey everyone,

My wife and I are finally moving to Colorado. We are originally from the midwest, but had to make a 2 year stop in Cali. In Sept we are moving to Colorado hopefully permanently.

I currently own an awesome Zuma lol, but i've ridden and raced sport bikes for about 10 years now and ridden dirt bikes for 5. I've sold my bikes, but will be looking to replace them shortly.

Housing question I have:
    I'm looking to live within a 45 minute drive of Denver airport. Looking for a suburb with good schools, low crime, good family life, and a downtown that is somewhat interesting. We have friends in Highlands Ranch, but I wanted to hear your suggestions on places we should look to live. Have any recommendations?

Now a Dirt Bike question:
    In Cali there are stupid green sticker/red sticker last. Basically its determined by emissions and limits certain bikes from being ridden on trails in the summer. Do you guys have anything like this I need to know about?

Now track questions:
    What good race track do you have nearby?
    What track day/race organizations do you have?

Thanks for the help!

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Re: Forum Newbie, Moving to Colorado, some questions non bike and bike related

Del mar circle is beautiful and about 30 min from the airport.

Los Gatos is a nice town. We moved here from Ben Lomond ourselves. Shoot me a PM if you like.
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    Los Gatos is a nice town. We moved here from Ben Lomond ourselves. Shoot me a PM if you like.
    Los gatos has been great. We are looking for a similar type of city, but more space, bigger houses and a heck of a lot cheaper.
    Steve
    08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
    Dirt: TBD
    Track: TBD
    I love bike shopping.

Appropriate name for these boards...we'll see if he can live up to it and/or survive it...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Appropriate name for these boards...we'll see if he can live up to it and/or survive it...
    ... the name was forced on my by my buddies at Chicagolandsportbike.com

They sure thought I earned up to it.
    Steve
    08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
    I love bike shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Drama View Post
    Now a Dirt Bike question:
    In Cali there are stupid green sticker/red sticker last. Basically its determined by emissions and limits certain bikes from being ridden on trails in the summer. Do you guys have anything like this I need to know about?
    We have OHV stickers that are required on forest service land along with spark arrestors.

Now track questions:
    What good race track do you have nearby?
    What track day/race organizations do you have?
    High Plains Raceway 1 hr east and Pueblo and Pikes Peak International Raceway are an hour and a half or so south.
    Not much in the way of organized track days, mostly open days.
    MRA is the roadrace org, there is also supermoto and minimoto racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    there is also supermoto and minimoto racing.
    YOU HAVE MINIMOTO I've been looking for that. Please send more details!
    Steve
    08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
    I love bike shopping.

Now for a little more detail on the dirt bikes, I am familiar with the CA red sticker/green sticker deal and we have nothing like that here. Any dirt bike can be ridden anywhere off road riding is allowed. Public lands require a spark arrestor, OHV sticker which is just a registration and there is a DB limit. Private lands are up to the owner but the most you should find is a DB limit on some tracks

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    Now for a little more detail on the dirt bikes, I am familiar with the CA red sticker/green sticker deal and we have nothing like that here. Any dirt bike can be ridden anywhere off road riding is allowed. Public lands require a spark arrestor, OHV sticker which is just a registration and there is a DB limit. Private lands are up to the owner but the most you should find is a DB limit on some tracks
    Good, can move back to a YZ250F. I had 2 of them, but they were red sticker so I went to a WR450F and I wasn't really happy with it.
    Steve
    08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
    I love bike shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    grrr...we aren't moving until September 9th and Semptember will be crazy. Doubt i'll make it this year, but next year i'll do the full season most likely.
    Steve
    08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
    I love bike shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Drama View Post
    Los gatos has been great. We are looking for a similar type of city, but more space, bigger houses and a heck of a lot cheaper.
    Nothing like Los Gatos here. Closest would be Old Town Arvada or Old Town Littleton but still, pales in comparison. Lots are small unless you move to the westside - Lakewood, Arvada, Littleton, etc... - where you can find a 1/4 acre lot.

You might consider Golden or Morrison for mountain access but drive time to DIA might be outside your params unless you have 6am flights then, it's no problem.

People will tell you to move to all kinds of neighborhoods but only Mother Goose - afaik - knows Log Gatos also and can give you an honest comparo.

But don't take my comments to mean the metro not a great place to live. Because it is!

Oh yeah, welcome!

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Just an FYI DIA (Denver international airport) is not actually in Denver it's north east of Denver do nothing is actually close to the airport. Eastern aurora has nice homes and is closer to dia but further from the mountains.

You are pretty much going to have to pick one over the other.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Lowry is a nice area as well as Cherry Creek, depending on how much you want to spend for a home. There are nice areas along the E470 corridor in Aurora/Parker/Centennial.

Tracks nearby where the MRA races -www.mra-racing.org along with Chicane Track Days, etc.
    High Plains Raceway - www.highplainsraceway.com
    Pikes Peak International Raceway - www.PPIR.com
    Pueblo Motorsports Park - www.PuebloMotorsportsPark.com
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Well, DIA is easy to get to from the north west side of the metro but nothing in Aurora is going to remind our new friend of the place he's leaving. Think of the bad parts of San Jose mixed with the good parts - lol - of Gilroy and Morgan Hill, and you have Aurora.

Edit: There are new communities - developments - in south Aurora that are really clean.

Edit edit: I second what Sully said.

Highlands Ranch ... it's the 'Burbs.. think ohhh.. Sunnyvale. Wide boulevards with soccer moms in Lexus and Escalades.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Highlands Ranch ... it's the 'Burbs.. think ohhh.. Sunnyvale. Wide boulevards with soccer moms in Lexus and Escalades.
    .. and Swingers!! well..from what I heard ..
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Oh yeah, I guess Jeff knows also.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll find out you picked the wrong neighborhood within a year or so.

CSC co-founder

I'm curious what ur gonna be doing @ DIA???? Anyway, I used to live in SE Denver close to Hampton/Yosemite. It was 'bout 45 minutes to get to the airport to work.

Just look at the roads (especially the toll roads to stay away from). You could live in Broomfield & make it there in 45 minutes. That's a difficult ?, all pending on your lifestyle.
    PHX, AZ

I like park hill, out of my $$$ to buy but I live 1 mile east & as its not bad, its deff not as nice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Hill,_Denver

my wife was a fa. 30 mins best time from door to terminal. 15 mins to lodo

stapleton will yield sim. results but no yards & built on 70 yrs of jet fuel & de-icer.

I hear Canada is nice move there haha Jm

Oi i live at the foot of morrison and it take me 30 to 45 min to get to the air port unless its rush hour so close to the air port i wouldn't worry as much
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Highlands Ranch to DIA.. 35min on the toll road.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...