Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Helmet Thread

2012 Helmet Thread

It's that time of year again! With the riding season finally opening up, I'm sure a lot of you, young and old alike, are asking the same question: Which helmet should I buy? I'm not trying develop this into a definitive buyers guide, but since helmet technology changes so often I figured it'd be a nice thread to get started for the season.

My last helmet purchase wasn't the most educated purchase, but now that (I think) I know better, I'd like to get a little CSC feedback to help myself and others make educated helmet buying decisions for this upcoming season.

To get it started, I'd like to mention the Shoei RF-1100, apparently new for this year. I've never worn a Shoei, and have a big friggin head, so I'm looking at at least an XL. (7 3/4 - 7 5/8 hat size) Anyone know how the Shoei's are in terms of sizing? Noise? Weight? Anybody recommend anything else? Right now this lid is my first pick, but I don't have a good second.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Re: 2012 Helmet Thread

Well there are two schools of thought.

One would be ignore the sticker price, test fit and get the one that fits most comfortably. Reseach it to death, shop and compare, then buy it.

The other ..... OOO shiny, nice graphics!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Not big on the graphics here, especially when they add $100+ to the price. I'm lookin for maximum protection and minimal wind noise (hearing protection, even though I wear plugs). For what I've seen so far the RF-1100 are top notch lids though, anyone have a different opinion?
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

Whatever fits your head the best. Obviously can't go wrong with any of the big name brands.

Personally I wear a Shoei RF-1000 and an Icon Variant.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

I love my rf-1100. Has a special spot for speakers so my scala cardo g4 fit perfectly. Really quite on the highway but can fog up a little if its cold outside.

~2007 R6~

Senior Member Moderator

Last fall I wore an Icon Alliance sized large. I just purchased an RF-1100 sized medium and it fits just right. The Icon in medium was just too snug to be comfortable. Definitely go to Apex or Rocky Mountain and try helmets on to make sure.

The Shoei is a much better helmet. The Icon was much louder and not as aerodynamic as the Shoei. I constantly felt like my noggin was getting pushed around by the wind in the Icon, no such complaints with the Shoei.

I have had a Shoei RF-1100 since last year sometime (Spring'ish). I think it is a pretty good helmet, but as GIRLr6ider said, it fogs up real easy. I also think it is louder than my old Arai Signet (2007ish model). The rear section also seems to be higher off the base of my skull than the Arai. It has plenty of ventilation and I like the visor A LOT better than the older Arai.

I had to go one size larger than I thought from the online sizing charts. I think I have an XL and with the L my head wouldn't even get past the opening.

Go to Performance and try on their selection!

FWIW I can't find any Bells or Icons that fit me well, same with AGV. But Shoei and Arai and Suomy etc fit my head. It all comes down to what kind of shell shape they are.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Not big on the graphics here, especially when they add $100+ to the price. I'm lookin for maximum protection and minimal wind noise (hearing protection, even though I wear plugs). For what I've seen so far the RF-1100 are top notch lids though, anyone have a different opinion?
    You'll definitely have minimum wind noise with any Shoei.

Quote Originally Posted by GIRLr6ider View Post
    I love my rf-1100. Has a special spot for speakers so my scala cardo g4 fit perfectly. Really quite on the highway but can fog up a little if its cold outside.
    How you liking the G4? I just picked mine up a week ago ;-).

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I've been wearing Shoei's for over 25 years now. I've had my current RF-1000 (I think, maybe it's an 1100) for over 6 years now. No problems. Can't speak about wind noise, but it's been conmfy and reliable. I don't feel like spendy graphics either, I just have a bright white one for best visibility and coolness in summer. I'm tempted to paint the back to look like a big eyeball though just for fun.......

Get what fits your admittedly big head! But, spend at least 10 minutes in each helmet. One that's too tight or doesn't fit right will make you miserable, and you can't tell after only a few seconds. find what you want, see what the best price at the dealers are, and then compare online. I bought both my sportbike and dirtbike helmets from dealers vs. online, but I buy mose all else online.

Good luck!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Here's a question then, why does everybody hate the Scorpion Exo helmets? I got my wife an Exo 200 size small, that was Snell rated, quieter than my HJC, comfortable for her and nicely put together. It seems like people like these even less than Icon helmets, but I don't really see why... Somebody have a bad experience or something?
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Here's a question then, why does everybody hate the Scorpion Exo helmets? I got my wife an Exo 200 size small, that was Snell rated, quieter than my HJC, comfortable for her and nicely put together. It seems like people like these even less than Icon helmets, but I don't really see why... Somebody have a bad experience or something?
    I got my girlfriend an EXO 700. Very light and comfortable. She loves it. I'm considering one for a cheaper track helmet so I don't have to buy an arai every time I wreck.

My buddy skidded head first at 100mph on the track wearing the exo 400. Did a great job protecting his head. He's a full believer in the capabilities of scorpions and after seeing the pics, I am too

Bubble wrap and some stickers?
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Who hates scorpions? And what are thier qualifications to make the assumption that the are no good?

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Yea who hates scorpions??? I've been down twice with scorpions and my helmet saved my ass both times!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

outside of the arai corair v (that i just picked up ) the scorpion exo 700 was probably the best fitting helmet ive worn.

so plus one to the Arai and Scorpins. Shoei's are awesome but they just dont fit my head quite right.

Tyrel
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Who hates scorpions? And what are thier qualifications to make the assumption that the are no good?
    I've just always gotten this impression in the past. Maybe because they don't have any $700+ models? Like I said, I like my wife's Scorpion more than my HJC, but I think for the new lid I'm probably going to grab an RF-1100 sometime this week.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

I have an EXO 1000, Scorpion got it right with their no-fog visor coating. I've worn it in cold weather that would've made other helmets fog up. Downside it's a bit heavier than my other helmets.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Had two Scorpion EXO-400's and best bang for the buck. No complaints other than a bit heavy. Spent a bit more and went with a Suomy, much lighter, fits me a bit better. I like it.
    Last edited by madvlad; Mon Apr 2nd, 2012 at 08:33 PM.

I have an HJC head. No other brand fits as well and have been testing brands 'just in case' for 14 years but I still get the best fit from the HJC. My track backup helmet was just moved into my street rotation and was surprised at how noisy it was. It's a CL-SP. Fits great, but is the loudest helmet I've had other than the Icon I scraped up in my one and only crash. Definitely caught me by surprise that this HJC was so loud after having 8 or so others. That said...

Anyone have any experience with the CS-R2? I am looking at it as my next helmet. Again, fit was great on that lid, so I am more looking for feedback on noise.
    MRA #88
    Keeping it midpack since 2010!

picked up a Scorpion 700 for this year and I love it...it fits great and the no fog is amazing. no complaints here.
    -Travis-

I really like the Bell Vortex helmets. They are a bit heavier than most, and a little on the noisy side, but are super comfy for my head shape and can't beat the price for what you get. I also love the "transitions" shield on it. Pricey option, but wholly worth it.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Go to Performance and try on their selection!

(or Fay Myers, or Sun Honda, Or Grand Prix, etc.)

Scorpion EXO 1000 is a great helmet, internal flipdown sun shade, pump up cheek pads for a adjustable custom fit, fog proof quick easy change shield, with a lock lever that can also open the shield a crack for better airflow. Good ventilation not so sure about noise or weight comparison to other helmets because it is all I have worn for the last 4 years, and it is what I bought for my wife.