Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Helmet Thread

Re: 2012 Helmet Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GIRLr6ider View Post
    I love my rf-1100. Has a special spot for speakers so my scala cardo g4 fit perfectly. Really quite on the highway but can fog up a little if its cold outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistyRydr View Post
    You'll definitely have minimum wind noise with any Shoei.

How you liking the G4? I just picked mine up a week ago ;-).
    seeing I have the G4 set up we MUST ride soon to test that shit out!

as for helmets,
    if the shoe fits, wear it!
    For the new season I picked up a Bell Star.
    Super light and quiet as compared to my Shoei 1100

Again, I feel like a lot of these "how to find/buy [insert motorcycle, gear, or maintenance item here]" questions are best answered using the Search function. But being as I'm already typing in this thread, here's my $.02.

Most important thing to remember is that different helmets have different shapes, so an XL with one brand may be too small while an L with another may be too big. That's why it's best to try 'em on. I'm in the market for a new lid too and I'm heading to local shops to find the best fit and then I'm going to price shop online for the best deal. The general conception is that cheaper helmets are heavier & louder though this isn't always the case. As long as they say DOT & SNELL then they're going to meet the same standard of protection.

I've got an HJC that I've been wearing for way too long. It's bulky and very large compared to comparable brands of the same size and it's noisy as hell. However, it fit my head the best of all the helmets within my price range and I have no regrets about buying it.

Remember, helmets can be painted, fit can't really be replaced and if the thing is too loose or so tight that it will cause headaches on long rides, it's dangerous.

I'm sure someone else in this thread said most of this too, but I'm too damned lazy to read all the way through the thread.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Started with AGV, went to Arai, then it's been nothing but Shoei for the last past forever.

Find a helmet that fits your head shape best, find one that's DOT/SNELL, and then go from there.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Helmet threads ... like oil threads.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by SaShWhO View Post

as for helmets,
    if the shoe fits, wear it!
    For the new season I picked up a Bell Star.
    Super light and quiet as compared to my Shoei 1100
    Let's definitely plan it. I'm curious to see how easy it really is to connect to another rider while cruising down the road as it is described in the manual.

Like a few others I started out with an Icon helmet. I bought my Shoei the next season and I've never touched the Icon since.

The shoei fits better, is quieter and significantly more aerodynamic then the icon. I don't get fatiqued with my Shoei (which I did with the Icon).

Once you wear a high end helmet, you'll never go back.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Anyone have a KBC? Looking at the Shoei and want to know what to expect in terms of wind noise, venting, fogging up and air leakage (my KBC will sometimes blow air into my eyes with the visor and vents closed, really annoying when it's cold out).

I have a few KBC helmets (only because they were the ones to get the contract to paint them in Repsol livery
    otherwise I think they're pretty decent for the money all things considered.

I agree. My only complaints are related to the air blowing in my face, the wind noise and that the shield changing mechanism is prone to break with frequent changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Here's a question then, why does everybody hate the Scorpion Exo helmets? I got my wife an Exo 200 size small, that was Snell rated, quieter than my HJC, comfortable for her and nicely put together. It seems like people like these even less than Icon helmets, but I don't really see why... Somebody have a bad experience or something?

I have a 700 and a 400 and really like both of them.

ive had an agv, exo 700, exo 400, icon currently, all fit good and protect my head, thats all i really care about, i dont hear wind noise with headphones in and dont really care about the weight, but like said before this thread is like a oil thread, everyone has the right answer.
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by usmcab35 View Post
    ive had an agv, exo 700, exo 400, icon currently, all fit good and protect my head, thats all i really care about, i dont hear wind noise with headphones in and dont really care about the weight, but like said before this thread is like a oil thread, everyone has the right answer.
    I get it, gear/oil/maint threads aren't all that popular, but unlike oil, most other maintainence, and even a lot of gear types, helmets both come in widely differing forms from model to model, manufacturer, quality, fit, etc, and these things also change drastically year to year, which was the point of a new thread, and not just searching old ones. Oil, on the other hand, hasn't changed much in the years since synthetics came about. That, and there would have been numerous other complaints had I brought a zombie back to life.

Anyway, thanks to all who responded. I wasn't so much looking for a "how to buy" discussion as I was just looking for feedback on some of the more current models and how they work for some of you. I'm sure even a handful of you combined have tried on more helmets this year than I'll ever find in a store or hope to try on in a weeks worth of checking out local shops, especially in Pueblo.

For now, the Shoei RF-1100 is at the top of my list and I'll be sure to drop back in here and share my experience for the benefit of any who come here looking.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

how about akuma helmets? anybody rock's them..?

I spent big bucks ($350+) on a Scorpion, but it was uncomfortable and very noisy. Then I found a cheap ($120) AGV helmet that fits my weird, long-oval head and is much quieter.

How would you like to get roundhouse kicked with a motorcycle?

Quote Originally Posted by TwistyRydr View Post
    You'll definitely have minimum wind noise with any Shoei.

How you liking the G4? I just picked mine up a week ago ;-).

I love it! the conversations you will have are going to be so funny. Sometimes i forget that I'm connected with my friend and i always say funny shit or yell at a cager. its really convenient to have and its so much safer then headphones cuz the volume goes up and down automatically. Its the Sh*t!

~2007 R6~

Quote Originally Posted by SaShWhO View Post
    YAA! lets do it. it makes the rides so much more fun.

~2007 R6~

How prone are Shoei to fogging up? I've heard on other forums that they aren't the best ventilated helmets out there.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    How prone are Shoei to fogging up? I've heard on other forums that they aren't the best ventilated helmets out there.
    If you use the nose-deflector thing that comes in the box, open the chin vent and don't use the chin-cover thing then I've never had any issues in any of mine.

If you use the chin-deflector but no nose deflector and close the chin vent then it'll fog.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    Yea who hates scorpions??? I've been down twice with scorpions and my helmet saved my ass both times!

i think you are wearing your helmets wrong

2000 tillis plus stuff with some polished stuff and some carbon fiber stuff and a little bit of tlr stuff and some gsxr stuff

I dont "hate" scorpions, but Im not a huge fan. I bought an exo-500 and the graphics are sweet, fits perfect, but it has 0 vent control, fogs way too easy under 40 mph, and its super loud on the highway. I had an Icon mainframe from 08-11 and loved, it, ventilation was good, nice and quiet, but a little uncomfortable after an hour or so.
    05' SV1000S-CF

Im too tall for this shit...

i agree I love my scorpion but the vents closed or open and it feels and sounds the same.
    -Travis-

I haven't responded to a good helmet thread in a while. Here's what I own:

Shoei RF1000 Diabolic
    Shoei RF1000 Picotte
    Shoei X-11 Elias
    Shoei X-11 Vermeulen
    Shoei X-12 Glory
    AGV GP Tech Dreamtime (One for street, one for racing)
    AGV GP Tech 5 Continents
    AGV S4
    Suomy Spec-1R Bostrom
    Shark RSR2 Foggy Legend
    Shark RSi Alien

I've also owned a few other Shoeis, an Icon, a KBC, and an Arai. The Icon was a gift, but I didn't care for the fit, so I sold it. The Arai was a very good helmet, but it didn't fit me as well as the others I own, so I sold it too. If it had fit me better, I would have bought Arai instead of Shoei. I want to say it was a Quantum, but I don't remember. I've been told Arai has a different line of helmets (Profile maybe?) that might fit me better, but I've never tried them out.

The Suomy fits smaller than the rest. The large fit me like a medium Shoei.

The Shoeis fit me very well, so I keep going back to them.

The AGVs are excellent helmets, but they're a bit rough on the ears when you're putting them on. After they're on, they're probably the most comfortable helmet I own. The only problem with them is the shell is so large, I look like Dark Helmet from Spaceballs.

I love the Shark, especially the RSR2 line, but they've been discontinued and are being replaced with the Racer Pro line. I'll give them a try when they come out.

I've never had a problem with any of them fogging up, unless I'm riding in cold weather or the temps drop because I'm caught in a storm. I also ride with earbuds in, unless I'm racing, so I don't really notice any wind noise. When I'm racing, I'm so focused on what I'm doing that I don't hear any wind.

I ended up getting an RF-1100. I went by Rocky Mountain Cycle Plaza and they looked at me funny when I asked where the Shoei's, Bell's, Arai's etc were. They told me that most people come in expecting to pay $80 for a helmet, but I did find one Shoei RF-1100 and was able to try it on. I then bought it online and saved $100. Long story short, it's an excellent lid, looks great, super light, fairly quiet. I did have issues with fogging in the morning cold, but I just inserted the chin mesh screen and nose cover and it fixed that. These things come in the box. The helmet is noticeably warmer with these inserted, but when I leave for my 45 commute at 0430 and it's still 34 degrees like it was this morning, it was definitely a good thing, even if it was pretty warm on the ride back. Thankfully, the adjustable vents work excellent as well.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Fwiw, I've had 9 Shoei helmets, both full-face race helmets and MX helmets, and I absolutely loved the X-11 (had 2).

I've got the X-12 now and while it's Good, in many ways it's not as good as the X-11 was.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson