Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is F'd up - Grade school teacher’s aide fired for refusing to hand over FB pwd

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

This is F'd up - Grade school teacher’s aide fired for refusing to hand over FB pwd

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technolo...172305406.html

We need laws prohibiting what employers can even ask of a current or prospective employee. That ONLY information that is public can be asked for. Your fb page, if set to private, is NOT public. Your credit history is NOT public.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Re: This is F'd up

The easiest response: My facebook contains political and religious affiliations, and I choose to keep that information private

It's illegal for them to ask those questions, so fuck them.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    The easiest response: My facebook contains political and religious affiliations, and I choose to keep that information private

It's illegal for them to ask those questions, so fuck them.
    That may be the best response I've heard yet.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Gold Member

So I guess face book is running our lives. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    That may be the best response I've heard yet.
    I agree, but, the fact you did not let them into your site might still make them pass over you for the job, and you'll never be able to PROVE that was it. If there was a law preventing an employer from even ASKING those questions, then they would not even be able to discriminate against you in the first place.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    I agree, but, the fact you did not let them into your site might still make them pass over you for the job, and you'll never be able to PROVE that was it. If there was a law preventing an employer from even ASKING those questions, then they would not even be able to discriminate against you in the first place.
    The fact that they're asking for access to something likely to disclose information illegal to pursue in an interview is, in my opinion, already illegal. I don't think we need a new law, I just think someone needs to test the current laws in court to bring them up to speed with technology. IMO asking for access to a private information resource containing such data is tantamount to asking for the data itself, which I believe makes it discriminatory and hence illegal.

than sincere ignorance

luckily software engineering is in high demand so if I'm ever asked that question I can politely tell them to fuck themselves.

I feel bad for the people that get their first interview in 6 months and get stuck with that question

Just make a fake facebook in case it happens

Or there's always the old standby of "I don't have one." If it's set to private and your profile picture isn't of you, most people have at least one other person of the same name living nearby. I've got 30 some according to FB.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Gold Member

Hmmm work or have your facebook. Seems like a easy one. Just saying.

Be PROACTIVE. These idiots all think their FB info is private, lol! Not defending the actions of the company/school, but if anyone is halfway proactive, locks their FB privace settings down including requiring approval for tagging/posting photos of you, makes a fake FB, doesn't allow every weirdo onto your friends' list (especially your students?!), be dilligant/smart about what photos and posts you put up, etc., etc. then they wouldn't have to fight this issue in court instead.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Be PROACTIVE. These idiots all think their FB info is private, lol! Not defending the actions of the company/school, but if anyone is halfway proactive, locks their FB privace settings down including requiring approval for tagging/posting photos of you, makes a fake FB, doesn't allow every weirdo onto your friends' list (especially your students?!), be dilligant/smart about what photos and posts you put up, etc., etc. then they wouldn't have to fight this issue in court instead.
    But.....it shouldn't matter. Companies have no business asking and discriminating because you don't let them.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Well, it's the principle -- can an employer demand access to things you don't volunteer? Also if it isn't private then you don't need to unlock it, do you? The sheer fact that it requires a password to view that aspect of your life means there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. Now I am not talking about idiots that leave it all hanging out there, but the ones who do lock their accounts down. AFAIK employers looking for this stuff will generally research you publicly, and finding a locked account, then ask for the password. I don't have anything particularly scary on my private FB account, but that doesn't mean I am apathetic to some HR idiot trying to force access to it either.

The courts will hear the arguments, companies will lose, the illusion of privacy will score another victory.

than sincere ignorance

Like I said, I'm not defending the company/school.

But, in light of recent news about this very thing, I'd say people need to not just be Sheeple and think the government/courts will protect them and they "have a right" to those jobs. I have some sympthy, but not that much sympathy, when it would've easily been avoided, by doing some things proactively that would've taken her (or anyone) about 15 minutes, and is free.

I agree that courts need be on the side of the citizen in this case obviously, for the reasons you posted.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Like I said, I'm not defending the company/school.

But, in light of recent news about this very thing, I'd say people need to not just be Sheeple and think the government/courts will protect them and they "have a right" to those jobs. I have some sympthy, but not that much sympathy, when it would've easily been avoided, by doing some things proactively that would've taken her (or anyone) about 15 minutes, and is free.

I agree that courts need be on the side of the citizen in this case obviously, for the reasons you posted.
    The courts aren't guaranteeing a job. They would just be guaranteeing a fair shot at a job by preventing discrimination from occurring due to an employer accessing something you have taken steps to keep private.

than sincere ignorance

Gold Member

I have I question for you all. Do you know every person that is on all your friends facebooks? You understand when you post on a friends facebook all there friends see it right? Hey Ralph did you know you and I have posted in the same post on facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    The courts aren't guaranteeing a job. They would just be guaranteeing a fair shot at a job by preventing discrimination from occurring due to an employer accessing something you have taken steps to keep private.
    Agree, they should prevent this.

I don't have anything particularly or even remotely embarassing on my FB account. (well there was that one time, in band camp)

But if an employer aka stranger were to ask for access, they can get

It's the principle of the thing. Even if you did not have a FB account, the question would be identical to if an employer were to ask for permission to stalk you during the day, peek in your bedroom windows at night, follow your spouse and kids around. Am I right? Who's going to give permission for that?
    Last edited by asp_125; Tue Apr 3rd, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    So I guess face book is ruining our lives. Lol
    Fixed

Or just create a fake FB page that you can give out for these kind of purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    ...i mean, sure maybe 4 inches isn't much to them, but it sure as hell is alot to me!

And people give me dumb looks and ask me why I dont have a facebook...because of crap like this

~2007 R6~

Quote Originally Posted by I`m Batman View Post
    Or just create a fake FB page that you can give out for these kind of purposes.
    Again, while that may "work" it's missing the point--no employer should be able to ask to get into your FB account, period.

Privacy laws need to be updated.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Well on the flip side a employeer doesn't have to hire you if they don't want to. If people think their FB is more important than a job, then go with it and give them your

I'll be the guy that takes YOUR job since I don't have a FB
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Well on the flip side a employeer doesn't have to hire you if they don't want to. If people think their FB is more important than a job, then go with it and give them your

I'll be the guy that takes YOUR job since I don't have a FB
    Facebook isn't the issue here, it's simply a symptom of the erosion of privacy rights. Just like there are laws already in place to protect people from discrimination on the basis of gender, health, marital status, race, etc... Would you like to be discriminated against because of personal choices you made, like having a family, or for some medical condition outside your control? Employment is me exchanging services with a company in return for money. It doesn't give them the right to control or dictate things unrelated to the services I offer.