Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All you adventure guys

All you adventure guys

So I'm looking for opinions and guidance on purchasing an adventure bike. I want to trade my sportbike for one and I don't know a thing about them. I have been looking at triumphs but don't know what brands are better than others. I saw that Yamaha has one as well but I don't know if I'd be able to ride it. The seat height is very high and I'm only 5'8". Any helpful information you guys have would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to get a bike that I would also want to upgrade from later on(DRZ). Thanks in advance.
    - Benny B
    2011 Kawi ZX6R
    2008 Suzuki GSXR 1000- Sold
    2007 Honda CBR 600 RR- Sold

Re: All you adventure guys

What do you want to do with it? Or, what do you want it to be able to do?

First off, decide how much dirt vs pavement you will be riding. Smaller dirt oriented bikes are better off-road, larger bikes are better for covering lots of distance to the dirt. On one extreme you have the dirt friendly KTMs and DRZs and smaller, lighter knobby tired bikes. On the other there are the more road oriented larger bikes like the Multistrada, big GS1200, big KTMs, Tenere, and such. In the middle are the VStrom 650, F650GS, the Triumph 800XC etc which do a bit of both.

I had an F650GS (the thumper). It was nice for road riding and packed dirt trails; riding to Durango loaded with camping gear.. doable but not so fun. Anything harder than a rocky jeep trail it sucked. Tires make a big difference too, I had tarmac tires and DRZs had knobbies.
    Last edited by asp_125; Wed Apr 11th, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

In addition to the above...

What's your budget? New/used?

With "Adventure" bikes being the hot ticket these days, they can get pricey quick.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

... especially once you price in the farkle: skid plates, guards, lights, RAM mounts, GPS, powerlets, racks and cases.

Start here (You're welcome) -> http://www.touratech-usa.com/
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Everything will be a compromise, figure out what you want to compromise the most. I love my 800GS but its got its warts. If your in my area feel free to come by and check it out.

Don't worry about height too much. I can barely touch my feet, just learn the cpt morgan stance when stopped
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    ... especially once you price in the farkle: skid plates, guards, lights, RAM mounts, GPS, powerlets, racks and cases.

Start here (You're welcome) -> http://www.touratech-usa.com/
    Don't forget

http://www.altrider.com & http://www.twistedthrottle.com (my personal favorite)
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

Well I think that most of my riding will be (pavement/dirt) 70/30 or 60/40. Of course I would like it if I were able to link up with other adventure bikes and you guys teach me what I need to know. I really would like to do some trails sort of what you guys have planned or like the Alaska type trail that was don't last year. I am liking the Triumph 800 XC and the BMW F800GS. I know what the Triumph will run but here in the springs, I have no clue. I am open to used as well if one of you guys would be willing to come with when I make my purchase just to make sure the bike is ok and I'm not getting raped.
    - Benny B
    2011 Kawi ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
    Everything will be a compromise, figure out what you want to compromise the most. I love my 800GS but its got its warts. If your in my area feel free to come by and check it out.

Don't worry about height too much. I can barely touch my feet, just learn the cpt morgan stance when stopped
    Where abouts are you located?
    - Benny B
    2011 Kawi ZX6R

On the other end of the spectrum is the KTM 690 Enduro (more like 40road/60dirt-depending on tires), but the motor to weight ratio makes the thing run like a raped ape.

I went with the KTM shortly after buying a BMW F650GS Dakar because I realized it was too heavy and massivly lacked power. I've owned a V-Strom 1000 too, which was a great bike, but just wasn't very good off road. If you get a bike to ride the road it will most likely suck off road, and vise versa. Also, most adventure bikes like the F800GS are so damn big when you sit on them that it would be hard to imagine doing much off road with them besides rough jeep trails.

This is why I went with the second set of Motorad wheels on the KTM; kicks ass in the tight twisties with street tires, has very good power to weight ratio (believe its the most powerful single on the market??), and is just small enough to be fun off road considering my limited dirt skills. AND......it has a slipper clutch, steel braided lines, fuel mapping selector switch for more or less power, and sounds mean as hell with the after market exhaust.

Lack of power and poor handleing were my biggest concerns when going with an adventure bike; but I finally found the best compromise I could think of.
    2011 KTM 690 Enduro (w/ SuMo Setup)
    2008 Honda CBR600RR Graffiti
    2002 DRZ400E

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Well, if I could ever afford it, since I already have a Gixxer for sport riding, I'd get a KTM 990 Adventure for more "dirty" adventures. I could also probably get a 1000 V-Strom and sink a bunch of money on new suspension bits too, and still be cheaper......but would it be better?

As mentioned, keep in mind what you want to do with it, and budget. The KTM is expensive, but probably the most dirt-worthy.

Good luck!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by ndnbennyb View Post
    Well I think that most of my riding will be (pavement/dirt) 70/30 or 60/40. Of course I would like it if I were able to link up with other adventure bikes and you guys teach me what I need to know. I really would like to do some trails sort of what you guys have planned or like the Alaska type trail that was don't last year. I am liking the Triumph 800 XC and the BMW F800GS. I know what the Triumph will run but here in the springs, I have no clue. I am open to used as well if one of you guys would be willing to come with when I make my purchase just to make sure the bike is ok and I'm not getting raped.
    Here's a rough breakdown (in my opinion of dualsport bikes):

800-1200cc: big bikes, fairly heavy when off road. They are comfortable and have good acceleration/handling on the road. Great for multi day trips and adding panniers. Off road they can be a handful and heavy to pick up if you crash.

600-800cc: better off road, and they weigh a lot less. still not as small as a dirtbike to pickup if you crash, but better than the big bikes. You lose some power on the road, noticibly at higher speeds. These bikes are usually single cylinders and can vibrate at interstate speeds. Usually not as comfy as a big bike and not as off road capable as a dirtbike, but a solid blend.

under 600- more of a dirtbike style. best in the dirt and least best on the street (with exceptions) Awesome for around town with sumo tires. Very light weight and vary capable in the dirt. But it would not be fun to ride one of these to Alaska.

The BMW/Triumph 800 are both great bikes. Personally I'm partial to the KTM 950/990 Advventure. BMW1150/1500 and the Yamaha Super Tenere are a little more road worthy than offroad. The most important advise I can give, is try all of the bikes first. Sit on the ones you are interested and take them out for a spin. For example, the F800 and KTM990 are both great bikes, but VERY different.

Go to www.advrider.com and read for the next fifteen days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

800-1200cc: big bikes, fairly heavy when off road. They are comfortable and have good acceleration/handling on the road. Great for multi day trips and adding panniers. Off road they can be a handful and heavy to pick up if you crash.

600-800cc: better off road, and they weigh a lot less. still not as small as a dirtbike to pickup if you crash, but better than the big bikes. You lose some power on the road, noticibly at higher speeds. These bikes are usually single cylinders and can vibrate at interstate speeds. Usually not as comfy as a big bike and not as off road capable as a dirtbike, but a solid blend.

under 600- more of a dirtbike style. best in the dirt and least best on the street (with exceptions) Awesome for around town with sumo tires. Very light weight and vary capable in the dirt. But it would not be fun to ride one of these to Alaska.

The BMW/Triumph 800 are both great bikes. Personally I'm partial to the KTM 950/990 Advventure. BMW1150/1500 and the Yamaha Super Tenere are a little more road worthy than offroad. The most important advise I can give, is try all of the bikes first. Sit on the ones you are interested and take them out for a spin. For example, the F800 and KTM990 are both great bikes, but VERY different.
    well... that about sums it up

truth! welcome to a new addiction.

Oh, and I forgot, don't buy a KLR!

I had a Kawasaki KLR 650 for about 5 years, mostly used it on the street as a daily driver, but I also rode down the Baja and back through the deserts and across the beach. I definitely think it is designed for more street and dirt roads, I found it to be pretty heavy when the trail got intense, or when it turned to sand or mud. Not as agile as the supermoto style guys we met while down there, which seemed like 450cc bikes.

I don't have really any experience with any other dual-sports, but I just found the KLR to be a little heavier and more sluggish than the other dual sports around.
    SOLD '09 Honda CBR1000RR - Pearl White
    '08 Honda CBR1000RR - Winning Red
    Daily Driver: '07 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins

Quote Originally Posted by ndnbennyb View Post
    Where abouts are you located?
    I'm up near Boulder, didn't realize you were down in C. Springs. I pretty much agree with Sean's write up

If you look hard enough and are willing to travel and ride you could get a great deal on a used 950 (7k or so, great bang for the buck in my opinion). The 800GS and 990's are still pretty expensive used. The 950 will have a better suspension than the GS (my only big annoyance about the GS) but weigh a little more.

I haven't ridden the Tiger 800 yet, I'd like to test out that triple off road though, would be different. The Tenere looked really big when I saw it, way too big for me. Then again the 990 and 950 look big at first too, but ride much smaller.

If your coming from a street bike the KLR will make you want to pull your hair out, it is heavier than the 800GS and has less than 1/2 the power, probably 1/3 of the power that the 990 has.

I wish I knew more about the 690.....seems like it would be an awesome bike for me, (bit more dirt and less street).

Not sure if it matters to you but the GS gets some crazy gas mileage for a big bike too. I can squeeze 65 mpg's out of it if conditions are right. Avg is about 50 or so though, still pretty good a 4 bucks a gallon!

Good luck figure all this shit out!
    Last edited by bodhizafa; Wed Apr 11th, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Having never ridden one before of any brand, I have been reading reviews and checking out the sites you all have recommended. Today I went out and looked/sat on a few bikes that include the Yamaha Super Tenere, BMW R 1200 GS, the Triumph 800, and a KTM. The BMW dealership didn't have an 800 available. I like the way the BMW felt and the features it came with. Granted its about double the price. I have been also looking at reviews of each bike on YouTube. I would like one for the long rides and the option to venture off road. Nothing too crazy though. I plan on getting a dirt bike for that. I would like to do one of Clovis' adventure rides he plans. His rides seem very long so I want something that would be best suited for such rides. Thoughts?
    - Benny B
    2011 Kawi ZX6R

They will all cruise the roads fine with more road oriented tires (I usually have knobbies on). I bet the triple on the Triumph would be great on the roads. The KTM 990 and 800GS will be better offroad in my opinion, than the others......990 above the GS mostly because of the better suspension, for me I like the feel of the 800GS better but people I ride with think the KTM feels better (although I am upgrading the suspension). The 990 is great on highways too though, more than enough power, that twin is a real beast. I feel the Tenere and the 1200 GS would be great highway cruisers and pretty good on jeep roads and stuff, but I'd be really weary taken them some places I've taken my 800.

Most important thing.........test ride all of them. They are all great bikes.

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

fixed

800-1200cc: big bikes, fairly heavy when off road. They are comfortable and have good acceleration/handling on the road. Great for multi day trips and adding panniers. Off road they can be a handful and heavy to pick up when you crash.

600-800cc: better off road, and they weigh a lot less. still not as small as a dirtbike to pickup when you crash, but better than the big bikes. You lose some power on the road, noticibly at higher speeds. These bikes are usually single cylinders and can vibrate at interstate speeds. Usually not as comfy as a big bike and not as off road capable as a dirtbike, but a solid blend.

1996 BMW R1100GS
    2002 Ducati Monster 750i.e.

They will all cruise the roads fine with more road oriented tires (I usually have knobbies on). I bet the triple on the Triumph would be great on the roads. The KTM 990 and 800GS will be better offroad in my opinion, than the others......990 above the GS mostly because of the better suspension, for me I like the feel of the 800GS better but people I ride with think the KTM feels better (although I am upgrading the suspension). The 990 is great on highways too though, more than enough power, that twin is a real beast. I feel the Tenere and the 1200 GS would be great highway cruisers and pretty good on jeep roads and stuff, but I'd be really weary taken them some places I've taken my 800.

Most important thing.........test ride all of them. They are all great bikes.
    If I can find an 800 GS, I'd like to try it out. I think I am partial to BMW. No particular reason aside from I think they're well built motorcycles. I'm excited about getting one. Since I made the decision to purchase one, I've done nothing but think of awesome trips I could take. How does your 800 GS fair on the road to you?
    - Benny B
    2011 Kawi ZX6R

^^ While I didn't buy one, when I rode the F800GS, I was impressed at how it felt at highway speeds. Local roads, the bike handled fine. It certainly won't snap your neck with off the line power, but if that's what you're looking for, then an adventure bike's probably not the right arena. The only thing about the 800 that I didn't care for was the front end dive under hard braking. But it was made that way and once I got used to it, no worries.

For me, it came down to what kind of riding I would "actually" do. With my bike, I'm honestly 90/10 road and dirt. Daily commuting, weekend fun, and road tripping with an occasional sidetrack up some random fire road all pointed at the Multistrada 1200s. Now, I'm half heartily looking for an actual DS (something in an XR/DR/EXC veign) to go where I fear taking the duc... Plastics are expensive and one good drop = the cost of a decent used DS. Personally, I would love to find a nice XR that I can outfit to do bike camping trips and the like.

Most important thing.........test ride all of them.
    This.

Sitting on them is great, BUT YOU NEED TO RIDE THEM. No two ways about it, each engine has a different personality and you need to figure out which one you like. The BMW's have a very different engine than the KTM's. (Not sure how different the Super Tenere is, I haven't ridden one.)

When I first saw the KTM950/990, I thought it was ugly as shit and not very comfortable. Now, I wouldn't own anything else. It's all about the ride.

[QUOTE=salsashark;660336]^^ The only thing about the 800 that I didn't care for was the front end dive under hard braking. But it was made that way and once I got used to it, no worries.
    QUOTE]

Thats one thing I'm trying to fix. New springs and different wght fork oil. Haven't been able to test it yet......still waiting for the new rear spring to get back from the shop. Gotta thank the lady of the house helping me switch the fork springs

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

I'll say it again.......Check out the KTM 690 enduro.......especially with a corbin seat for longer touring. Unless you want a bike that just looks like it can go off road.......
    2011 KTM 690 Enduro (w/ SuMo Setup)
    2008 Honda CBR600RR Graffiti
    2002 DRZ400E