Thread: wanna track your speeds and lean angles??

wanna track your speeds and lean angles??

Pirelli has released an app for both Iphone and Android called Diablo Super Biker and its pretty Legit. in the settings you put in your bike hit the button put it back in your pocket and start riding. Gives you a graph of your speeds above a graph of your lean angles along with a map of where you rode.

Just thought I would share.

Re: wanna track your speeds and lean angles??

sweet
    mayo....

Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain."

.........a crotch rocket going 85 to 90 down the highway looking like a power ranger on a mission...

Tried this @ IMI last week and let's just say the track function is not very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Tried this @ IMI last week and let's just say the track function is not very accurate.
    Lol I bet. IMI being so small, the GPS probably had no idea where you were. Phone GPS operate at fraction of the capability of a true garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    Lol I bet. IMI being so small, the GPS probably had no idea where you were. Phone GPS operate at fraction of the capability of a true garmin.
    It has a frequency adjustment but the speeds and some of the lean angles were a bit farfetched

Yeah, all of those phone "track" and "lap timer" apps are nothing more then a novelty. The hardware in the phone is just not accurate enough to give you good data for something like that.

// MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

It's not so much about the phone not being able to do the work accurately, it's more that the phone's CPU gets called on to do other stuff all the time, so it puts this data acquisition function "on hold" until it does those other things, like check your email, text messages etc.

There are some really good dedicated units out there that do this kind of thing - the XT Racing GPX Pro is an exceptional unit and for what it really does, is pretty reasonably priced.

I have compared my times on my OG DROID against thr MRA timing and it has been fairly accurate. I have mine mounted up on my instrument cluste0
    r so it has line of site and it works pretty good . And you can analyze speeds thought corners. Lean angle is a neat thing but I don't worry until shit starts dragging.

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    It's not so much about the phone not being able to do the work accurately, it's more that the phone's CPU gets called on to do other stuff all the time, so it puts this data acquisition function "on hold" until it does those other things, like check your email, text messages etc.

There are some really good dedicated units out there that do this kind of thing - the XT Racing GPX Pro is an exceptional unit and for what it really does, is pretty reasonably priced.
    I put mine in airplaine mode and that eliminates updates and wireless activity.
    I have two left from our previous upgrade so my cheap ass will deal with the minor inacururacies and use what works for me until I feel I need more.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite675 View Post
    Yeah, all of those phone "track" and "lap timer" apps are nothing more then a novelty. The hardware in the phone is just not accurate enough to give you good data for something like that.

Not just that, but since the phone is in your pocket instead of being hard-mounted to the bike.

For true accuracy, I don't believe GPS is accurate enough. I belive the Pi and other data recorders use precision (perhaps even laser/optical) gyro's and accellerometers hard-mounted to the bike/car.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

I just tried out Gearzy at lunch. Pretty neat app, I can analyze my route and speed to Einstein's
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I can't get Gearzy to work right, I didn't spend a ton of time but my other one works well enough.

I can't get Gearzy to work right, I didn't spend a ton of time but my other one works well enough.
    yeah, I tried then uninstalled it as well.

What's the one you've got pictured?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Looks like GPSLaps.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Looks like GPSLaps.
    Cool, I'll check it out, thanks!
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Yes GPSLaps is my favorite chronosgps is another I have used but I like this display better.

saweet! ill have to try this heading into work!

I've been playing with the Pirelli app, and it seems to be fairly accurate with speeds. Lean angles also seem to be accurate on my Stratosphere. Dragging boot produces a lean angle around 37 degrees on it.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    I've been playing with the Pirelli app, and it seems to be fairly accurate with speeds. Lean angles also seem to be accurate on my Stratosphere. Dragging boot produces a lean angle around 37 degrees on it.
    Do you have your phone mounted on your bike or just in your pocket?
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

It was in my pocket. I thought about that, and made sure I wasn't doing any extra leaning or hanging off the bike or anything. Tried to remain as still on the bike as I could.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S