Thread: Helmet Coms

Helmet Coms

So I have been looking into purchasing a com set for my helmet and perhaps the wife or a friend that decides to ride. I was looking at the Scala Q2 Multiset Pro. I like the options that it has and its features. The one thing that has prevented me from buying one already is I find it hard to believe that it works very well while riding in the canyons at a decent pace. I know that my engine noise is loud (I have a short pipe) and the wind noise isn't all that quiet. Right now I use my iphone while riding with some pretty decent head phones. It keeps the outside noise out but I would like to ride with ear plugs and still listen to music. The music helps me concentrate on the task at hand. Any information or reccomendations will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    - Benny B
    2011 Kawi ZX6R
    2008 Suzuki GSXR 1000- Sold
    2007 Honda CBR 600 RR- Sold

Re: Helmet Coms

I wasn't sure it would work well at all either until I got a Q2 myself.
    I pulled off my windshield to reduce buffeting at highway speeds, so I'm getting full windblast when I'm on the Interstate. Even at 90 I can have a conversation with another rider or on the phone and those over the phone can't even tell I'm on the bike.
    Keep in mind that I have the boom mic inside the chinbar of my full face helmet, so that definitely helps out, but even when the mic is out in the open air, it doesn't start picking up wind noise until about 60.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Also take a look at Midland BT2, they are great, I received a few calls while in a pretty good pace in the canyons and they said they could hear me clearly and even said to tone it down . ( I found myself yelling because of wind noise when I didn't have too) I have also been able to hear them and my music very clearly without issues.
    €~~~ Ramon Uribe ~~~€. 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (Current 2019)

-"CSC Community" Trailer - Is Available As Of (Stolen!!!!!!!) FML - @ My Home
    720-475-6984

I got the Q2 and they're awesome headsets really. I took a call from my mom at around 80 once on 470 and the sound quality is great.

+1 on the Q2.

I'm running the accessory kit that's for full face helmets where the mic is very low profile and velcros to the inside of the chinbar.

I have the Q2 as well, if you wear ear plugs its not loud enough to hear well. I often can't hear my music and a phone conversation at highway speeds can be difficult to understand. It's definitely made for those that don't wear ear plugs. If it was louder I wouldn't have any complaints.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Is there some button you press to answer calls, or what? I have a smartphone (Droid-X), so if I'm playing music, a call will still come in and stop the music. How does that all work together? (coms with other rider/passenger, music playing, then phonecall)
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

I have a Sena SMH5 and really like it. The only issues I've had is that the boom mic doesn't stay in place (on the dirt) without a little tape. I also know people that love the SMH10. I use it with my iphone 4 and it works like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Is there some button you press to answer calls, or what? I have a smartphone (Droid-X), so if I'm playing music, a call will still come in and stop the music. How does that all work together? (coms with other rider/passenger, music playing, then phonecall)
    Yes to both. I have an iPhone 4s so with siri I have a bit more functionality, but essentially it should perform much the same as a headset attached to your phone. Communication with other riders is handled with a second button. I've not used it yet.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I have a Sena SMH5 and really like it. The only issues I've had is that the boom mic doesn't stay in place (on the dirt) without a little tape. I also know people that love the SMH10. I use it with my iphone 4 and it works like a champ.
    +1 for the Sena.
    The wife and I use the SMH10's. They work very well for music, intercom and phone functionality.
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Q2 Pro user here. With earbuds in though, and a loud exhaust, you have to use your outside voice for the other person to hear. Sweetie is so soft spoken I often have to go "eh" (not just cause I'm )
    Last edited by asp_125; Thu May 31st, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Thanks for all the input fellas. I saw a set of Q2's here in the springs at Apex. Is there a vast difference between regular Q2 and the pro version?
    - Benny B
    2011 Kawi ZX6R
    2008 Suzuki GSXR 1000- Sold
    2007 Honda CBR 600 RR- Sold

On my toes! Lifetime Supporter PunyJuney's Avatar

The q2's work great but if you're looking for bike to bike communication and you want to speak to someone that is farther than 2300' away (pretty much line of sight) they don't work. The G series from Cardo claims to have range up to a mile. I'm thinking of buying the G's. If you want to buy my pair of Q2's pm me and I'll order the G's.

MV Agusta F4 Brutale 1078rr
    2012 CBR1000rr Anniversary Edition

"keep your words soft and sweet as one day you may have to eat them" -Chuck

If used the q2 for the last year and a half and have now moved on to a chatterbox. Over all the chatterbox is winning. Sound quality is better, the I can listen to music as well take phone calls via Bluetooth, has a 5 mile range for bike to bike and there's no limit to how many chatterboxes you can talk to. I know a lot of people don't like the size of them but they do sell an extension cord so the box it self can be placed anywhere the cord will reach. Though the new slim chatterbox is quite a bit smaller and had a built in FM radio.
    Contact me for all yourAmsoil needs. 720-515-0963
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/007/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png[/IMG]
    2011 Suzuki Hayabusa Present
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa Present
    2005 Suzuki Hayabusa Sold
    2004 Suzuki SV650 Sold