Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Wetter runs the coldest right?

Water Wetter runs the coldest right?

does anything else run as cold as wetter/distilled water? Doesn't necessarily need to be track worthy, just cold

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: Water Wetter runs the coldest right?

~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

There are several products that help the cooling system

Motul - MoCool

Evans - Engine Ice

Redline - Water Wetter

not sure which is the "best" but they all work by reducing the surface tension of the water to allow it to better draw heat away from the metal bits in the engine and disperse heat to the radiator.

S

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    There are several products that help the cooling system

Motul - MoCool

Evans - Engine Ice

Redline - Water Wetter

not sure which is the "best" but they all work by reducing the surface tension of the water to allow it to better draw heat away from the metal bits in the engine and disperse heat to the radiator.

S
    Those all glycol-free?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

So engine ice is legal for the track?

I think RoyalPurple PurpleIce does the same thing as WaterWetter, not 100% sure though.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    So engine ice is legal for the track?
    Without having looked I'm pretty sure it's glycol based.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

IIRC only Redline water wetter is HPR approved. Anything glycol based is no-no.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    IIRC only Redline water wetter is HPR approved. Anything glycol based is no-no.
    This is correct - the original post stated that it didn't have to be track worthy.

Sorry about the jack there Joe, just curious since the engine ice site said it was track safe

a part of hell where its always warm and the roads are to die for

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    I think RoyalPurple PurpleIce does the same thing as WaterWetter, not 100% sure though.
    On street I run 30% green 50% water rest Rp purple ice works good noticed 5 to 9 degree drop

Quote Originally Posted by Fumet5uNo View Post
    On street I run 30% green 50% water rest Rp purple ice works good noticed 5 to 9 degree drop
    R1's generally run hot, so I've read. 215-220 idling in hot day traffic, ugh. It sucks, but I'm gonna try some Purple Ice and play with water/coolant mix percent to get the coolest setup.

Is that how much RP you're suppose to use? I thought with Redline WW you only put in a couple capfuls or something? It's been awhile...
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    R1's generally run hot, so I've read. 215-220 idling in hot day traffic, ugh. It sucks, but I'm gonna try some Purple Ice and play with water/coolant mix percent to get the coolest setup.

Is that how much RP you're suppose to use? I thought with Redline WW you only put in a couple capfuls or something? It's been awhile...
    That they do, mainly with the cat being right next to your leg, prepare for some serious burn lol... I wanted to do engine ice since I did a coolant flush last service to be able to run cooler. May do a manual fan switch cause man traffic is brutal!

"Coolant: only water, Red Line Water Wetter, Royal Purple Ice (NOT Engine Ice or Evans coolant), or Silkolene Pro CCA coolant additives are allowed in liquid cooled motorcycles. Glycol based substances are prohibited. For the purpose of this rulebook, motorcycles which use engine oil as a primary cooling fluid are considered to be air-cooled."

From the MRA rulebook...you wanna take it to the track? you have to abide....the dude abides...
    "When you on the track, you have to be enjoying the moment, you have to be flowing, "Be water, My Friend". You try to be the fastest, and it seems a little beet estupid, 20 riders making the same way, lap by lap, but this simple thing: is very complicated." #99

I'd do engine ice unless you wanna get that R1's cherry popped at the track!
    "When you on the track, you have to be enjoying the moment, you have to be flowing, "Be water, My Friend". You try to be the fastest, and it seems a little beet estupid, 20 riders making the same way, lap by lap, but this simple thing: is very complicated." #99

Ohhh. and joe I knoe's 2 peeps that run Water Wetter and don't ride the track...so perhaps it ok to run on the street!? Cooler temps, etc...
    Last edited by thankgod; Thu May 24th, 2012 at 07:12 PM.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

My ninja runs about 200-210 on 25 in traffic on hot days I would really like to keep it just below 200

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    My ninja runs about 200-210 on 25 in traffic on hot days I would really like to keep it just below 200

That seems like normal operating temp, especially in those conditions....(start and stop traffic), I get 160-190F, while riding and the wind blowing through my hair. maybe 220 + while stopped and the fan on..

Why are you guys wanting your engines to run cooler? Are you having problems our is it just because 'cooler is better'?

Quote Originally Posted by Penadam View Post
    Why are you guys wanting your engines to run cooler? Are you having problems our is it just because 'cooler is better'?
    No one likes an overheated engine... IE swift @ 2011 St. Pattys day parade....Hot BMW

Quote Originally Posted by thankgod View Post
    I'd do engine ice unless you wanna get that R1's cherry popped at the track!
    Yea, reason why I didn't lol... engine ice is not exactly cheap so just running coolant and gonna go with water wetter for the HPR session in August

Quote Originally Posted by thankgod View Post
    No one likes an overheated engine... IE swift @ 2011 St. Pattys day parade....Hot BMW
    That bike is oil/air cooled, so you can't use engine ice out any other coolant. What about the water cooled people.

Personally for me is cooler temps since the bike runs better and it'll keep my ass from frying lol

What about the water-cooled people?
    Kind of a loaded question, since it varies between engines. For instance my Supra (2JZ) "likes" to run a little hotter than most motors, without harm. But I don't have my legs strapped around that thing in traffic, lol.

I've always learned that higher motor temps = higher combustion/ignition temps = less power and more wear & tear, especially with our high-winding high-compression rocket motors putting out 150+hp from just one liter. Higher temps also mean you've moved closer to the danger-zone for detonation/knock, and very close to the "overheating" zone, I'd rather have a buffer. A concern with our cycles which are practically mild race motors, even stock outta the box.

Or maybe it's all bullshit and I have no idea what I'm talking about, a distinct possibility since I'm more experienced as a "car guy".

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    May do a manual fan switch cause man traffic is brutal!
    Lemme know when/how you do this. I haven't searched on R1-Forums yet, for any writeups. But I want to wire a manual-switch on mine too, they definitely don't come on soon enough.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Thu May 24th, 2012 at 08:03 PM.