Thread: I Want to rent an RV to take to Canada

I Want to rent an RV to take to Canada

We are looking to rent an RV for 3 people (comfortably) to take to Whistler for some downhilling this summer.

One issue: Any 'pay by the mile' is going to crush us because it's a lot of miles

1) What good places in denver rent RVs for good prices?

2) What are the logistics of crossing the border in a rented RV?

3) Do RVs reach a certain size to where you need a certain licence to drive one?
    Last edited by tecknojoe; Mon May 28th, 2012 at 07:38 PM.

Re: I Want to rent an RV to take to Canada

My sister and her friends rented an RV from these guys and drove to Yosemite a couple years ago: http://www.bb-rv.com/rentals.html

I recommend giving them a call.

How would you like to get roundhouse kicked with a motorcycle?

There's a rv rental place on 90th and federal.
    I think it's called RV Rents?
    "Gun's don't kill people, ape's with Gun's kill people."
    Robin williams

Can't help you on the first 2, but I know if the RV has air brakes it requires an air brake endorsement. Usually those are only Class A motorhomes though (the bus lookalikes).
    For 3 people comfortably, look into a Class C. Those are the ones that have the van/truck front end with the RV tacked onto the back. They drive decently and will fit 3 people comfortably. Summer I turned 16 we rented one up in Alaska and drove around for 2 weeks. It was comfortable for a 14 year old girl, a 16 year old guy, and Mom for those 2 weeks.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

I'm not much of an RV guy but the times I drove from here to Alaska, I've seen many "Cruise America" RV's. They have a location in Denver. They're like uhual and go off of mileage and charge an estimated mileage at the initial renting. It's $0.32 a mile. So 2000 miles would be around $640 plus the price to rent. Not sure if this helps.
    - Benny B
    2011 Kawi ZX6R
    2008 Suzuki GSXR 1000- Sold
    2007 Honda CBR 600 RR- Sold

Thanks for the reccomendations. I think we are looking at Class C for sure. something roomy and comfortable.

Looks like that milage is gonna hurt us. 3k total

Don't forget you get about 5 mpg. You could fly and stay in some nice hotels for those prices!

I don't know where you live but there are two parked on Indiana and around 65th that have for rent signs. One is ginormous the other is a regular RV. I'm not sure if a private rent would be cheaper.
    Last edited by mxer; Tue May 29th, 2012 at 07:23 AM.

Frontier flies to Bellingham, Washington now, just south of the border, for a reasonable price. You could fly there, rent a vehicle and zip up the coast for probably substantially less $$ than renting a motorhome, not to mention less drive time (more play time).

09 Yamaha FZ6R
    08 Yamaha XT250

Quote Originally Posted by 50sGrl View Post
    Frontier flies to Bellingham, Washington now, just south of the border, for a reasonable price. You could fly there, rent a vehicle and zip up the coast for probably substantially less $$ than renting a motorhome, not to mention less drive time (more play time).
    That's an interesting idea. We were considering the cost of gas too. But flying south of the border and getting something there would be a lot more feasable

I'll have to total up some costs of flying vs driving vs flying then driving

Maybe at that rate we might as well just book some nice hotels for a few days and fly out there. We'll have to ship some heavy downhill bikes (or carry on)

For what you pay in gas and RV rental charges, you could stay at the swanky Chateau Whistler and rent some nice DH bikes.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    For what you pay in gas and RV rental charges, you could stay at the swanky Chateau Whistler and rent some nice DH bikes.
    we've got some demo II's and an SX that we're good with. Although it would be nice to destroy someone else's bike for a change

Quote Originally Posted by 50sGrl View Post
    +1 on this and rent bikes in Whistler. My Frontier flight from DIA<->BLI (booked three weeks in advance) was $205.60. You'll save four days of driving.

Some last minute hotel deals in Whistler: link. They don't mention the name of the property on this page until after you book, but if you google the description of the property you can pretty much figure out which ones they are and take the surprise element out of it.
    Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.