Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canyon Carving: Tutorial on R1-Forums

Canyon Carving: Tutorial on R1-Forums

<Sorry if repost or you've already seen it. I did a search here first. Might be a good accompanyment to 3D's "Cornering Bible" videos posted today. For us n0obs, heh.>

BIG "KNEE DRAGGING 101" THREAD, from the R1 Forums:

Definitely one of the most in-depth and extensive tutorials that I've found. Incl. detailed instruction, tips, pictures, and commentary from experience riders:

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171467

Last edited by Ghosty; Wed May 30th, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Re: Canyon Carving: Best tutorial I've found

From the looks of those pics I dont think I would take too much advise from those guys.

Why specifically? Most of the pics are related to the specifics in the text, from the few pages I've read so far. Seems to make sense when put in context of what they're trying to explain. Choosing a line, apex, approach speed, where to look, lean angle, position, etc., etc.

I'd love to hear feedback from you CSC advanced riders who've read this through, rather than risk reading incorrect advice on there...
    Last edited by Ghosty; Wed May 30th, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    From the looks of those pics I dont think I would take too much advise from those guys.
    +1
    Going for max lean on the street... dumb idea. Violates the whole "keep 30% in reserve" principle. Works out fine until the unpredictable happens.
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Hanging off as much as some of the guys in the pics in that thread on the R1 Forum will attract law enforcement's attention.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

My first question to people interested in that topic would be "Why do you want to get your knee down?".
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

I'm not a knee dragger, but I stopped reading when I got to this statement:

"Good knee-dragging corners are VERY hard to come by in the USA."

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarX View Post
    I'm not a knee dragger, but I stopped reading when I got to this statement:

.. I stopped there, almost as credible as gixxer.com
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    My first question to people interested in that topic would be "Why do you want to get your knee down?".
    Just speaking for myself, I don't care about getting the knee down, more just improving riding skills in the twisties. Would like to work on getting faster through corners with more practice, practice, practice.

That guy lives in Kentucky, lol. Maybe he needs to research more... http://www.motorcycleroads.us/states/ky.html

Ok, so all of CSC has shit-canned that thread as not credible, so guess just nevermind.

Feel free to post up better info though...
    Last edited by Ghosty; Wed May 30th, 2012 at 11:21 AM.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Just speaking for myself, I don't care about getting the knee down, more just improving riding skills in the twisties. Would like to work on getting faster through corners with more practice, practice, practice.
    Ok, in my view, that is a much better way of looking at things. Even better would be to focus on getting "better" through corners rather than "faster". If you do that, then speed and perhaps knee dragging will follow. Most of the time I hear people going about dragging a knee, they see it as some affirmation of their riding skills when in reality it shows how poorly they ride, similar to the whole "chicken strips" thing.

If you want to ride faster more comfortably, getting instruction at a track is a good approach. Talk to experienced riders and ride with them. Watch what they do. Have them watch what you do. IMI, when it's not busy, is a great place to work on the fundamentals of riding.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Why specifically? Most of the pics are related to the specifics in the text, from the few pages I've read so far. Seems to make sense when put in context of what they're trying to explain. Choosing a line, apex, approach speed, where to look, lean angle, position, etc., etc.

I'd love to hear feedback from you CSC advanced riders who've read this through, rather than risk reading incorrect advice on there...
    I didn't read the text, I don't need to to see that these guys have the body positioning of someone who's whole focus is to get a knee down. The one guy is monkey hanging and severely crossed up and the other while not out of the saddle too far, is still slightly crossed up and his lean angle is too severe, he is begging to crash.
    As stated this is a huge red flag for law enforcement and totally unnecessary for the street. I get through the mountains at a good speed (in the corners) without ever sticking my knee out. Body position is the key.
    I barely drag my knee on the track, I use it is a gauge as to where I am at in my lean. I drag my bodywork without ever touching my knee.

Re: Canyon Carving: Tutorial on R1-Forums

Thx Dirk & Bueller, good info.

You will get more out of reading either Twist of the Wrist 2 or Sport Riding Techniques than you will from that post, both from more credible authors.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Ok, in my view, that is a much better way of looking at things. Even better would be to focus on getting "better" through corners rather than "faster". If you do that, then speed and perhaps knee dragging will follow. Most of the time I hear people going about dragging a knee, they see it as some affirmation of their riding skills when in reality it shows how poorly they ride, similar to the whole "chicken strips" thing.

If you want to ride faster more comfortably, getting instruction at a track is a good approach. Talk to experienced riders and ride with them. Watch what they do. Have them watch what you do. IMI, when it's not busy, is a great place to work on the fundamentals of riding.
    100% agree with Dirk here. IMHO you want to concentrate on smoothness on the street. Speed will come because the smoother you get the easier it is to cope with all the fun the street has to offer. Riding on the track is much different. You brake harder, you accelerate harder, you take different lines. Being smooth is still key (watch Carlos Checa) but it's a different kind of smooth.

I'm not knocking anyone who touches their knee down on the street, but the place to practice and get good at it is on the track. Then when it becomes old hat to get your knee down it can become part of your street arsenal when you want to push it and have a little "extra" fun.

If I ever were to "get a knee down" on the street, I'd be in serious trouble. I concentrate more on getting to the apex and then throttling out in a smooth, consistent manner than on getting max lean outta the bike.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

All great advice, thx. I ride in jeans too, no knee-pucks, heh.

I'm thinking the title of that thread (and this one) is misleading as to its primary purpose. Despite the introductory paragraph making it seem like the author has a specific goal of "touching down", I looked at it more as instruction on getting comfortable taking corners safer and faster (than a beginners pace), while improving skill.

I'll definitely read the two Twist/Wrist volumes when Zach929rr sends me the PDF files.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

I agree with everything said here, I am no expert but i ride in the mountains in my textile pants, i don't focus on how low i can get my bike or close i can get my knee. For me its about the speed i am comfortable with in the corner and following through with it. When i am done with a run I will take a look at my rear and front tire to see where i am making most of my contact and at what angle. I put new tires on the ninja on Saturday and Sunday morning by the time Cornfed and i got done with coal creek i had scrubbed the chicken strips off both sides on the rear, all that matters to me is i can keep the tires down at a good clean angle and i am having fun doing it. A lot of what bueller taught me at IMI has come in handy as well, my body positioning has completely changed so im not so crossed up and i feel much more comfortable when entering and following through a turn.

I'll definitely read the two Twist/Wrist volumes when Zach929rr sends me the PDF files.
    Ghosty, I think I have the Twist of the Wrist videos in a box hiding in my basement somewhere. You're welcome to borrow them anytime. I think they might be in VHS format though.

Sub'd

draggin' balls...
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

I was on a nice relaxed-pace cruise up 24 to WP yesterday because I wanted to go for a relaxed ride and ended up falling in behind some other random rider. We ended up both turning into the same parking lot and he was absolutely shocked that I kept up with him on my bike.
    He was on a 2012 ZX6R and much lighter than I am. I'm on an undersprung bike with a wobbly frame and I'm a fatass. I wasn't even working hard to keep up with him and apparently he thought he was fast.
    His problem was that he was crossing himself up horribly. When leaning the bike left, his face was typically between the windscreen and the right mirror. Once I pointed that out to him, and he fixed it, he immediately got a whole lot faster with less lean.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Ghosty, I think I have the Twist of the Wrist videos in a box hiding in my basement somewhere. You're welcome to borrow them anytime. I think they might be in VHS format though.
    Skip the original Twist video & buy/download the Twist 2 video that came out in the last few years.

The Twist 2 book will be a very good reference too, get that ASAP.
    2006 Lexus GX470
    2010 Ducati Streetfighter
    2007 Ducati M695
    1994 Yamaha TZ250 (track smoker)

I have body positioning that is far from perfect, however the one time I have gotten knee down on the street I may or may not have been going excessively fast on Poudre. IMO people who are dragging knee on the street may be going a touch fast and/or have awful positioning that is helping them get knee down at a much slower speed.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

this was a very interesting and helpful discussion to read. i'm curious, dirk, as to what you were referring to when you said:

...in reality it shows how poorly they ride, similar to the whole "chicken strips" thing...
    i know what chicken strips are. but, i'm not sure i know what you mean when you say that it somehow shows how poorly someone rides. mind elaborating?

The attitude of some that they have to "prove themselves" as not being squids, by getting rid of the chicken strips as soon as possible to show they don't just ride in a straight line, lol. Maybe comparing that to people who feel they need to "scrape knee" for the same reason.