Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about DRZ-400SMs

Question Talk to me about DRZ-400SMs

I'm not sure how serious I am, probably not very serious, but I admit that with all the SuMo talk I'm getting tempted to get a SuMo of some kind for myself. I'm not sure why, exactly, but the idea is growing on me.

I miss my CRF250R, but I don't miss MotoX anywhere near as much as I miss trail riding. I love my 600RR, but I've ridden 600s my entire street riding life, I don't want another sportbike (even a 1000 or whatever) and from what I hear, the DRZ is relatively cheap (found a few good used ones) has a very robust aftermarket, is supposedly fairly cheap to crash, and I'd probably be more likely to commute on it over my CBR.

The DRZ-400SM seems to be the least maintenance whorish of the "usual" SuMos, and I'm too poor to buy a Hypermotard, too lazy to want to convert a CRF450R/X and dick around with it all the time, I want something street-legal, track and trail capable (even if not the "best" at either) and something that can do a decent pace on the 470 for the run to MoCo.

Downsides of the 400SM seem to be that it's relatively heavy for a SuMo, a bit down on power and...I'm not sure what else.

I rode a few DRZ-400SMs around the parking lot when I worked at a shop, but never had to live with one on a daily basis, nor take one on extended rides, or up to Mt. Evans, etc.

So, for those of you with, or recently separated from a DRZ-400SM, fill me in on why I should or should not (in theory) get one...

And what about the WR250X?
    Last edited by Ghost; Thu Jun 14th, 2012 at 10:37 PM.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Re: Talk to me about DRZ-400SMs

Cause it's a fucking blast that's why!!!

I found a nice little field for a shortcut to get home and decided to take it today, couldn't stop laughing the whole way through the field.

The upright position is pretty comfortable, I plan to ride mine to work every day in rain, sun, or snow and it's pretty good on gas. I've only had mine for 72 hours though so I can't really give a ton of advice as well as I haven't been in the canyons yet but I will on Saturday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    Cause it's a fucking blast that's why!!!
    That's probably where the temptation comes from...

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    I haven't been in the canyons yet but I will on Saturday morning.
    Let me know how much fun the DRZ is at altitude in the canyons, I know how much fun the CBR can be, so that's one of the critical things I don't want to miss out on--not that it's the same kind of fun, I get that, but is it still FUN or just "fun"?
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

The DRZ is the ultimate bike. It is nowhere near perfect, but it does a great job at a lot of things. Think about it as a jack of all trades. It can commute, it can rip through a canyon at faster than legal speeds, it can wheelie, go down stairs, go up stairs, it can ride the trails (I did rampart on race slicks!), it can crash, it can go to the track, it can get dirty, and it never fails to perform when it shouldnt.

Does it have downfalls? Yeah. It needs a 6th gear, it's low on power, the seat is a 2x4, it is hell on long highway rides, the gas tank is small, it's heavy, and it doesn't stroke your ego like a clean $9,000 sport bike.

But the DRZ will give you everything you love about riding in one experience. If more people knew what a supermoto could do, I am convinced everyone would have one. You definitely won't regret it. I have ridden everything from a built R1, R6, Harley, streetfighter, and dirt bike, but nothing makes riding on two wheels as fun as a DRZ SM.

I've owned two... a DRZ400S and a DRZ434SM.

They are FUN AS SHIT. Although, it's a little too heavy for any serious trail duty, the SM model was a blast on the street. Perfectly capable in the canyons with jetting, although don't expect to keep up with a supersport on a straightaway. But in the corners? Hell yes.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    The DRZ is the ultimate bike. It is nowhere near perfect, but it does a great job at a lot of things. Think about it as a jack of all trades. It can commute, it can rip through a canyon at faster than legal speeds, it can wheelie, go down stairs, go up stairs, it can ride the trails (I did rampart on race slicks!), it can crash, it can go to the track, it can get dirty, and it never fails to perform when it shouldnt.

Does it have downfalls? Yeah. It needs a 6th gear, it's low on power, the seat is a 2x4, it is hell on long highway rides, the gas tank is small, it's heavy, and it doesn't stroke your ego like a clean $9,000 sport bike.

But the DRZ will give you everything you love about riding in one experience. If more people knew what a supermoto could do, I am convinced everyone would have one. You definitely won't regret it. I have ridden everything from a built R1, R6, Harley, streetfighter, and dirt bike, but nothing makes riding on two wheels as fun as a DRZ SM.

THIS. Well said.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Come trade me bikes for a quick ride up deer creek. I'm like 2 minutes from it.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Great city bike and fun in the local canyons and dirt roads. If you're over 150 lbs with gear, I'd pass on the WR250X.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

It doesnt make sense but yes, they are FUN. I did 482 miles on mine just after I bought it. Across Trailridge to Grandby, up to Walden and back across Poudre Canyon. Yes it did run like crap above 10,000 feet but thats carburetion for ya. There was a couple of long straights where Id like to have had an extra 100hp and a full fairing but all considering I was smiling the whole time. The seat is a 2X4 but I found a good pair of riding pants makes just enough difference that its tolerable.

I commute, rain or shine, about 25 miles a day from Parker to Aurora and am averaging 67mpg.

If I could only have one bike it would still be a liter bike. But riding my big gixxer is an event. I put my game face on and prepare my mind to ride a guided missile. With the DRZ, I dont, I just grab my gear and go knowing even if Im not on my game 35hp is not going to reach up and slap me the way 150hp does. I guess that is what makes it fun!
    Last edited by Cornfed; Fri Jun 15th, 2012 at 05:02 AM.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    I commute, rain or shine, about 25 miles a day from Parker to Aurora and am averaging 67mpg.
    What color is yours Cornfed? I see a DRZ on a regular basis around in Parker around commute time, although I'm usually travelling opposite direction.
    1996 BMW R1100GS
    2002 Ducati Monster 750i.e.

Quote Originally Posted by fasterlaster View Post
    What color is yours Cornfed? I see a DRZ on a regular basis around in Parker around commute time, although I'm usually travelling opposite direction.
    Black DRZ, red and black TourMaster jacket, Grey/silver HJC lid.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    Black DRZ, red and black TourMaster jacket, Grey/silver HJC lid.
    I'll be looking for you, if on 2 wheels I'm on a red bmw R1100GS, with an obnoxious orange Arai helmet
    1996 BMW R1100GS
    2002 Ducati Monster 750i.e.

OP just buy one. Worst thing is you dont like it and have to sell it. Not like it would last that long on the market anyways.

Only real bad thing I could find about it.....girls dont really like them compared to a nice shiny sporty bike.

Plus sides-ALMOST invincible, parts are cheap and around, Cops dont target you, can go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    I might just take you up on that.

This started because I had my eye on two posted on CL, but the ads came down a day after posting, so either they were scams or such legitimately good deals that they didn't last... So now I'm back into "wait & see" mode.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Great city bike and fun in the local canyons and dirt roads. If you're over 150 lbs with gear, I'd pass on the WR250X.
    I'm 153 without gear, so probably a pass then, especially at altitude...

Quote Originally Posted by willb003 View Post
    OP just buy one. Worst thing is you dont like it and have to sell it. Not like it would last that long on the market anyways.

Only real bad thing I could find about it.....girls dont really like them compared to a nice shiny sporty bike.

Plus sides-ALMOST invincible, parts are cheap and around, Cops dont target you, can go anywhere.

I'd like some invisibility, especially when just commuting.

I'll be keeping an eye out for more "steals" on CL...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I might just take you up on that.

This started because I had my eye on two posted on CL, but the ads came down a day after posting, so either they were scams or such legitimately good deals that they didn't last... So now I'm back into "wait & see" mode.
    LMK. Be interesting to compare my E model to the street model.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I'm 153 without gear, so probably a pass then, especially at altitude...

I'd like some invisibility, especially when just commuting.

I'll be keeping an eye out for more "steals" on CL...
    Talk to repsol here on the forum he knows where the deals are at And he can spot a good drz from a distance.

I started riding a DRZ-SM in 2005, before this whole craze started. While it was fun the DRZ bored me, especially after racing a YZ450F conversion. I rode sloriders with the big bore and carb and whatever else he threw $ at and it was more entertaining than stock for sure but I just don't like having to spend $ on a bike to make it acceptable plus the mods don't have good equity return. My KTM 525EXC was an awesome street supermoto. Plenty of power, 6 speed wide ratio tranny(100+mph easy), the wheels cost me $600 used and sold for the same. Oil change every 500mi. and filters every other change. Put the dirt wheels on and it was the absolute best enduro machine I have ever owned.
    If I was to do a supermoto again I would get a XR650R and put 17's on it.

Bottom line is any supermoto is a compromise, you need to decide what is most important to you. Economy, durability, maintenance interval, power, highway capability, weight, trailability etc.

Personally I wouldn't buy another DRZ but I would ride one

Everyone that I knew in Texas who had them thought they were a blast but most moved onto other bikes after awhile. Some onto other Supermotos like the KTM or Husky and some to a different type of bike altogether. Even those who moved onto a different style really liked the DRZ-SM but their riding evolved into something else although many stated that if they could have multiple bikes they would definitely have an SM of some kind. I rode a friends Husky SMR610 on Lime Creek Road outside of Austin and it was a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    If I was to do a supermoto again I would get a XR650R and put 17's on it.
    I was actually wondering if the XR650R would be a good SuMo conversion candidate or not, and I was skimming Thumpertalk for CRF450X SuMo converstions--seems the biggest thing there is swapping out the Titanium valves for Stainless Steel...

I also found a "cheap" legalized 1998 XR400R SuMo...

Or, I suppose you could do the DRZ400 conversion to an SM.

...at this point, I really don't know what particular bike I want, I just want to have something other than the 600RR. I want something that's better for commuting, and that can do dirt/gravel roads in addition to various hooliganry...so I think I want a SuMo, just not sure what kind...

The DRZ400SM might not be the best bike, but for it's relatively low cost, low maintenance and resale it might be the best place to get into SuMo and see how much I really like it...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

'08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Thanks man!
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    My KTM 525EXC was an awesome street supermoto. Plenty of power, 6 speed wide ratio tranny(100+mph easy), the wheels cost me $600 used and sold for the same. Oil change every 500mi. and filters every other change. Put the dirt wheels on and it was the absolute best enduro machine I have ever owned.
    Did you add the oil cooler to increase the oil capacity? I've been thinking about a 525.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Did you add the oil cooler to increase the oil capacity? I've been thinking about a 525.
    I didn't add oil capacity, I just changed often. They do need to have the cooling fan kit if you want to ride in traffic and for big hill climbs. I never put one on but probably would if I got one again.