Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Movie Topic #3: Best Animated Movie

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Movie Topic #3: Best Animated Movie

Debate Topic #3:
    What is the best animated movie of all time - when you combine the two primary factors of animation quality (traditional, computer, or combination) and plot?

INVALID ARGUMENTS:
    NO HENTAI! Movies must be G, PG, PG-13 or R

Founding argument to contest:

Because I love animated movies so much I can't offer a single top movie - so here are my top 3, in no particular order I'm going to admit to:

The Iron Giant

A story close to my heart and childhood that spans generations of those of us who grew up under the shadow of a mushroom cloud... and our father's generation... and our children's too because it's just a damn good story with brilliant animation.

Brad Bird KILLED IT with this movie top to bottom...
    Screw the box office - this movie isn't just worth watching on Netflix or On Demand - it's worthy of OWNING! This is one of my go-to movies when I am bored with whatever is on the tube.

Akira
    THE Anime film that defines and all others must be graded against. Ghost in the Shell to Bubblegum Crisis to anything new - everything must pay homage to Akira first, and expect to be compared to it over and over again - even as old as it is relatively speaking.

From the motorcycle that ANY true geek would want to own (and a lot of motorcycle enthusiasts too) to the subtle perfect hand drawn way a chain link fence bends under a person's weight this movie goes beyond legendary anime to the ranks of the pantheon of ANY animated feature as far as I'm concerned.

Oh - and don't watch the American re-edit put out in the late 90's / early 00's that they show on Encore and Starz occassionally --- if you're going to watch it, watch the original dubbed version from roughly 91.

and finally:
    I was really torn on this one because for me to narrow it down to a top 3 in this catagory is REALLY difficult... I own a lot of animation. There's tons more I wish I owned... but trying to be polite and keep it to a limit of 3 I had to go with:

UP
    I will admit it - there are a few movies that make me cry, approximately 5 that can do it consistently - and this is one of them. The first 10 minutes tell a more powerful story without dialogue than the entire Twilight Saga ever will, hell - it tells a more powerful heart wrenching story than MOST rom-coms, chick flicks, and sappy Nicholas Sparks movies ever will COMBINED. The first 10 minutes makes me cry. I will admit that gladly.

The rest of the movie is pretty damn solid too! I have no complaints about any aspect of the ... SQUIRREL! ... ummm... movie. Yeah, sorry.

This movie didn't just deserve it's Best Picture nomination at the Oscars - it fucking deserved to WIN. Fuck Avatar. Fuck The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Basterds and District 9 - all of which I love. UP was the most original, emotional, beautiful movie made that year of those nominees.

Watch that first 10 minutes with just your S.O. or alone, without kids of any age, and tell me you don't well up at least a little!

What say you?

To quote the Joker: "And... here... we... GO!"
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Re: Movie Topic #3: Best Animated Movie

Can't pick just one category, plus I haven't seen a ton that I still need to...

For Manga/Anime: Akira was my very first Japanese Anime. First time was in the mid 80's, before anyone even knew what this genre was, beyond Battle of the Planets and a few other TV series. We couldn't believe there were "cartoons" that existed like this! Ghost in the Shell and Ninja Scroll are my two favorites though. Akira third. All three are ridiculously sick epic productions, imo. Side-note: Battle of the Planets was my favorite childhood TV cartoon ever, that and Johnny Quest, lol.

Heavy Metal (1981) will be my favorite big animated movie of all time, the stories are incredible, even if the animation is outdated. Totally adult sci-fi (like the magazine obviously), and risque', it was the pinnacle at that time, and had serious impact. Todays kids would probably laugh at it. Fantasia was epic. There's a reason college kids still take mushrooms and go so it when it makes it to arthouse theaters infrequently.

Titan A.E. & Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within were awesome. I can still watch those today and enjoy. Still need to see Iron Giant, Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Mononoke, Coraline, Fist of the North Star, and a hundred others. Others: Animatrix, Wall-E, Monsters Inc., Nemo, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    This movie didn't just deserve it's Best Picture nomination at the Oscars - it fucking deserved to WIN. Fuck Avatar. Fuck The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Basterds and District 9 - all of which I love. UP was the most original, emotional, beautiful movie made that year of those nominees."
    Wow, I guess I really need to see Up now!
    Last edited by Ghosty; Tue Jun 26th, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Two that I like are Fist of The NorthStar and Heavy Metal. The graphics of brutality for the time was impressive. But as you go back to view in comparison to today's technology, you wish they would do a remake.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Animalympics
    [/Thread]

The Secret of NIMH would also be acceptable as First Runner-up.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    ...you wish they would do a remake.
    Was HeavyMetal 2000 any good? I don't even remember if I've seen it.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Not a remake. it was not done well, hence no one remembers.

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

Titan AE
    One of the best hand drawn animated films of all time.
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Forgot to mention a lot of the short films in the Animatrix compilation, KILLER! Or how about the original 1978 Lord of the Rings, even though it was just the first two books. Ralph Bakshi did some cool animation effects by using live-action Rotoscope technique:

Last edited by Ghosty; Tue Jun 26th, 2012 at 11:59 AM.

Some great ones already mentioned here.

Some of the animated Final Fantasy films are really good.

One of my favorite animes is still Princess Mononoke.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Land Before Time [/thread]

Sharp Tooth!!!
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Heavy Metal for sure my fave. Yeah, the animation is dated....NOW, but, it was meant to look like the magazine anyways (most of you kids have never seen it) way back in '79-ish when it came out. Great stuff with an awesome soundtrack and great cameo's by John Candy etc.

Titan A.E. is cool.

I saw Up with my kids, and it was a great movie.

Another oldie favorite from about '79: Wizards. GREAT movie.

Another good one: 10,000 Years.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

wow... I'm surprised to see so many Titan AE references... I figured I was the only one that had that one on dvd.

My personal favorites (which according to CSC by laws, means that they are the end all - be all of animated movies and everyone else's opinions can suck it):

Titan AE - everyting's been said that I would say

Despicable me: great character development, animation was a nice mix of modern digital and Tim Burton-esque obscure. But mostly because my nephew said that Gru reminded him of me...

Shrek: ONLY THE FIRST ONE... clever take on fairy tales, amazing animation. Great dual level comedy.

Oh, and I really dig Cars... I don't really know why, but I watch it whenever its on.

Since the Animatrix was mentioned, which I also really like, what about animated cut scenes in live action movies? I really dig some of the cut scenes in Natural Born Killers. The movie itself was awful, but some of the animation was really cool... same with Sin City. Oh, and The Wall... how could I forget that?!
    Last edited by salsashark; Tue Jun 26th, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Cars.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

I need to see Wizards again, classic! What's 10,000 Years?

Anyone see "Rock & Rule" (1983)? Kinda Heavy Metal era and level of animation, but killer soundtrack and crazy story.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    Since the Animatrix was mentioned, which I also really like, what about animated cut scenes in live action movies? I really dig some of the cut scenes in Natural Born Killers. The movie itself was awful, but some of the animation was really cool... same with Sin City.
    Agree, good stuff. How bout the short Japanime' scene from Kill Bill? That was sick.

Animatrix - The Matrix, with an anime feel.

Pixar's Cars and Cars 2 took animation to a new level with light mapping of the reflections in the chrome and shiny paint. Their attention to detail is apparent in the modeling of the bits of tire rubber and dust kicked up during the big race as the cars zoom past the camera. Somewhat predictable but enjoyable plot line for the kids in all of us.

Nightmare before Christmas - Tim Burton's dark comedy with stop motion animation is always a good way to spend christmas.

Jason & the Argonauts - Remember the fight scene with Jason's crew and the army of skeletons? This was before CGI, back in 1963 using stop motion figures. What a task it must've been to choreograph that sequence integrating live actors.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

the first two that popped into my mind were Akira and Toy Story. I was obssesed with the Akira graphic novels and japanese motorcycles, before the movie came out and got to see the original release in theaters.

I thought the story and aniamtion in Wall-E were very good.

someone else reminded me of how great Princess Mononoke was, I'll have to revisit that.
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    I need to see Wizards again, classic! What's 10,000 Years?

Anyone see "Rock & Rule" (1983)? Kinda Heavy Metal era and level of animation, but killer soundtrack and crazy story.

Agree, good stuff. How bout the short Japanime' scene from Kill Bill? That was sick.
    I remember Rock & Rule - but do you remember "American Pop"? Came out almost immediately after Heavy Metal - REALLY interesting story telling along with another brilliant, eternally locked in litigation, soundtrack.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

No shit, I WANT that Rock & Rule soundtrack, ugh. The Deborah Harry (Blondie) song in there is awesome. My roommate had it on VHS. I have the DVD, but might need to pick up that 2010 BluRay release and rip the songs to MP3?...

"My name is Mok, thanks a lot!", lol...

I'll check out American Pop, thanks!
    Last edited by Ghosty; Tue Jun 26th, 2012 at 12:23 PM.

Wall-E. Love that damn robot.

As a parent of two kiddos, I've probably watched more animation in the last 3 years than non-parents would believe is possible in a lifetime. I keep going back to The Incredibles, How to Train Your Dragon, and Despicable Me. I don't mind Toy Story, either. My Little Pony and Strawberry Shortcake can die in a fire.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Debate Topic #3:
    What is the best animated movie of all time - when you combine the two primary factors of animation quality (traditional, computer, or combination) and plot?

Grave of the Fireflies.

Ebert named it one of the best war movies ever and put it on his list of Greatest Movies.

Transformers the Movie.
    Because fuck you Shai Lebouf.

Sleeping Beauty (Disney)
    Because Dragon

Black Cauldron
    just because

Fantasia
    Because amazing hand-drawn cels
    Last edited by Ghost; Tue Jun 26th, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Toy Story was my all time favorite as a kid, and it is my kids favorite right now.

As for being an adult and enjoying watching animated movies with my kid i like watching Coraline the plot is somewhat creepy, the graphics are very good (it can be bought in 3D), and definitely reminds me of when i was a kid and how my imagination would run away from me, always looking for a secret passageway.

I can't narrow it down to less than 20 'best' animated films...
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

List your top-10 or 20 then, sounds good.