Thread: San Juan Skyway

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

San Juan Skyway

A quote I found about the San Juan Mountains...

“If you should, in your imagination, put together in one small group, perhaps 12 miles square, all the heights and depths, the rugged precipices and polished faces of rock, and all the sharp pinnacles and deeply indented crests, and twenty times the inaccessible summits that both of us have ever seen, you would not have a picture equal to this.”

- W.H. Holmes, describing the San Juan Mountains in 1876.

Last weekend, June 23/24, GuitarX and I took a tour of the San Juan Skyway in southwest Colorado and had an absolute blast.

Instead of post the full trip report here, I will just link to my blog and post a few photos here.

Blog - Byway #8 – Colorado Scenic and Historic Byway Tour by Sport Bike, Auto and 4 x 4 – San Juan Skyway

Photobucket - San Juan Skyway

Interactive Map - San Juan Skyway - check this map out...this time, I added photos to some of the markers. Let me know what you think? Is anything missing? What else would you expect to see in a map like this?

What do you get when a Ducati and a Kawasaki ride together...a DucKwak, or is it a Kwak'nDuc?

Pictures only tell a fraction of the story...

...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Re: San Juan Skyway

Nice!
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks!

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

I got half way through the report, then decided I needed to get my ass out in the garage and get the wheels balanced so I can head out and ride a bit today. Can't wait to read more when I get back!
    1996 BMW R1100GS
    2002 Ducati Monster 750i.e.

Quote Originally Posted by fasterlaster View Post
    I got half way through the report, then decided I needed to get my ass out in the garage and get the wheels balanced so I can head out and ride a bit today. Can't wait to read more when I get back!
    lol...yeah, it's a tad long'ish...

Ah hell! It's very long. Be ready to attempt to not fall asleep.

I'm wondering though if that interactive map is a tad easier to deal with? Reading-wise that is. Of course it's more like a trip planner, rather than a report.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    lol...yeah, it's a tad long'ish...

Ah hell! It's very long. Be ready to attempt to not fall asleep.
    It wasn't a knock on the length of the report at all. Actually a compliment, as it got me out on the Monster yesterday instead of working around the house all day. Another great report!
    1996 BMW R1100GS
    2002 Ducati Monster 750i.e.

Nice pics, I missed the photo-ops on our trip .. we were too busy playing on the twisties.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    I'm wondering though if that interactive map is a tad easier to deal with? Reading-wise that is. Of course it's more like a trip planner, rather than a report.
    Fwiw, I really liked the map.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by fasterlaster View Post
    It wasn't a knock on the length of the report at all. Actually a compliment, as it got me out on the Monster yesterday instead of working around the house all day. Another great report!
    No worries on the length comment I made. I know I'm a long writer...it's hard to keep it all in when you've enjoyed yourself so much. Good for you getting out on the Monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Fwiw, I really liked the map.
    Sweet! Thanks a bunch for looking. I've got to go back and create the maps for the other rides I've done, since finding that Google map app was only a recent find.

To be honest, as we were leaving the area, I was thinking that the best way to really enjoy that byway is spend time in one of the mountain towns, ride the twisties for fun and then go back to enjoy the scenery for at least 4 days. There's lots of hiking and other activities available out there, too.

Welp...on to the next byway. :-)

Nice pictures and report. I miss living in Ridgway, lot of fun roads out there.