Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Sets Worth It?

Rear Sets Worth It?

Whats everyones view of rear sets? Are they worth it? What are the pros and cons?

I assume they provide a more comfortable body position, maybe make it easier to move around and to plant your lower body on the bike.
    2006 Triumph Daytona 675-Track Only For Me!

Re: Rear Sets Worth It?

Not more comfortable, just the opposite, they give you more clearance by moving your feet up and back and promote a more aggressive riding position. For the track they are an improvement for the street, not so much.

It works for some, mostly they are for what Bueller says. There are some that are adjustable downwards, reducing cornering clearance but maybe for comfort for riders who have knee or hip flexion problems.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    It works for some, mostly they are for what Bueller says. There are some that are adjustable downwards, reducing cornering clearance but maybe for comfort for riders who have knee or hip flexion problems.
    Or for people like me, who happen to have size 14 feet. so moving the pegs back allow my foot to actually use the pegs
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

Sato rearsets have a triple bearing shifter that is smooth as butter. I loved those things.

Depends on the bike too. My F4's pegs were far too low for the track, changing them to rearsets got them up & back for better ground clearance and better body positioning to move around the bike easier. They were adjustable & the actual peg was fixed instead of the folding oem peg, plus the pegs were sharper & grippier since the teeth were sharper. And the pegs were replaceable in case of damage.

So, on that bike they were a necessity.

My RR has a more aggressive position to begin with, the pegs are higher and while I will eventually get rearsets, there's been no real rush.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I use ESD, but then again i am a stunter so my bike is on the ground a lot.
    Mrs.Wondo

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    Sato rearsets have a triple bearing shifter that is smooth as butter. I loved those things.
    +1 on Sato. I had others previously and didn't like any of them as much as the Satos.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Has anyone ever tried rearset riser plates or anything similar?

Thanks for the input. I am asking because I am wondering if it will help me transition side to side and to anchor my outside knee into the tank better. I feel like I have to work really hard to hang on when I am hanging off, which isn't that much. I just don't feel like I am anchored well while keeping my arms relaxed. Kinda feel like I am working too hard. I have stomp grips but my knee won't reach up to the ridge on the tank.

On a side note is your guys outside food on the peg on your toes or mid foot?

Quote Originally Posted by 675Rider View Post

Doesn't always happen this way though, not as important as the inside foot.

Thanks for the input. I am asking because I am wondering if it will help me transition side to side and to anchor my outside knee into the tank better. I feel like I have to work really hard to hang on when I am hanging off, which isn't that much. I just don't feel like I am anchored well while keeping my arms relaxed. Kinda feel like I am working too hard. I have stomp grips but my knee won't reach up to the ridge on the tank.

It helped me with the F2/F3F4s, but with the RR I doubt I'll notice a lot of difference. I've not ridden a 675 in recent memory, so I don't recall the peg placement. I'd say get a good pair of rearsets and try them out. If you hate them, sell them.

I tend to ride with the ball of my inside foot (right where the Sidi symbol is on my boots, as the wear on them will show) on the lip of the peg since it helps he rotate my knee out and down and then push off to transition back.

--BUT--I've had 3 knee operations, and this is what I have to do to ride so my knees aren't killing me. This works for me, it may or may not help you or be proper riding style.
    Last edited by Ghost; Sun Jul 1st, 2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: DYAC
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I am usually on my toes on both feet. My outside foot on its toes seems to help me drive my knee into the tank to anchor myself. By "comfortable" I did not mean easy like, more like easier to obtain proper body position and the like.

Make sure you aren't putting too much effort into getting off the bike, a lot of people really over do it, it isn't necessary and it wastes a lot of energy.

I recommend them on any bike. I've replaced all mine and there's no bike that was designed exactly for you. With aftermarket rearsets you can adjust your bike for yourself as well as get the ground clearance you need. Some OE rearsets are such garbage your feet slips of the pegs.

I really do not try to hang off much, just transfer my weight to the inside. My crack in on the edge of the seat and I try not to be crossed up. I still never drag my knee even, but I don't point my knee down sharply because then I do feel crossed up.

For myself, I don't have aftermarket ones as of right now, but it's needed badly for 2 reasons. (for the track)

- Stock pegs are dragging on many turns
    - I have short legs so the higher up rear sets make it much easier for me to get over on the bike (body positioning) with less fatigue.

Jason, whatever rearsets you go with, just make sure you either buy two compleate sets or go with a brand like Woodcraft that allows you to buy replacement parts, especially the footpegs.

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    Jason, whatever rearsets you go with, just make sure you either buy two compleate sets or go with a brand like Woodcraft that allows you to buy replacement parts, especially the footpegs.
    And avoid Harris (UK). Maybe it's not across all their designs, but the design for my F4 had the peg going through the lever (shift or brake) and mounting to the adjustable plate of the rearset assembly.

While this meant the peg was replaceable separate from the rest of the assembly, even with locktite on the bolt, the peg would often rotate, leaving the "teeth" facing down and your foot would be riding on the upside-down peg. Without good locktite, the bolt could come out (happened to me) and you could lose the peg (not fun!).

When I switched to Sato, I never had any issues.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Are you a hooker or a baller?

Me I am on the balls of my feet on the inside peg (heel against the rearset). The outside knee is against the tank, and my outside foot is usually hooked like the photo. My outside arm / forearm is relaxed against the side of the tank as support.. I don't feel I'm going to fall off the bike.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post

I have woodcrafts on my 10 and love them. The replacement parts are great. I had Vortex on my 9(RIP) and those were great as well and fairly inexpensive but did not offer adjustments for that particular model.The only issue with having rearsets on the street is they are not as comfortable for longer rides as stock placement. I found my knees getting sore quicker and more uncomfortable quicker. But its not too bad. Just a little irritating. But atleast you wont drag feelers and stuff if you up the pace. The Woodcrafts were super grippy, more grippy then the Vortex for sure. With foot position...honestly I've never really paid attention. Good question.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Rizoma is my favorite, built like tanks and have replaceable parts. Sexy too!

These are for a dedicated track bike, no street for it anymore.

Woodcraft or Vortex, easy to find replacement parts and economical.