Thread: Tire Review: Shinko 003 Stealth

Tire Review: Shinko 003 Stealth

So, after much debate with myself and my money, I decided to try a pair of the very competitively priced Shinko 003 Stealths in "Soft". Total price for the tires alone was right around $200 for the DRZSM, so even with mounting @ $15 tire, they were going to be close to $30 cheaper to try. I figured why not, and ordered a pair through Jim.

Mounted: Definitely heavier than any other tires I've had on here before. Reviewers on MCSuperstore had made statements to the same effect so I wasn't surprised. Tread reliefs seem to be numerous enough to provide good grip in the wet.

First Impressions: Coming off a cupped front and rounded-off rear pair of Continental Contiforces, these things were like butter. Smooth, consistent turn in, albeit perhaps a bit 'heavier' on the turn in due to the slightly heavier tires. No complaints here. Just felt like solid new tires.

Street, Dry: Wow. Was not expecting these tires to be this good. These feel just as good, if not better, than any other tire I have ridden on before. Contiforce, Bt016s, 2CTs, Pures, pretty much all of the mid and upper-mid level tires. With a little bit of wear on them over 100 or 200 miles, the turn in has become slightly progressive, but overall very linear.

I pushed them a bit the other day, and only had slippage on each tire happen once. The front pushed ever so slightly coming down Deer Creek while trail braking rather aggressively and the rear stepped out a bit in some of the rough shit on Squaw in the tight stuff near the Evergreen side. The front was definitely on me as the steering inputs may have been just a bit too much. The rear was suspension related to an issue I've needed to address for a while. I need to back of the preload on the rear a bit as sometimes it can jackhammer around in rough pavement.

Street, Wet: Had a chance to ride during some of the light rain we have gotten in the past week or two. I wasn't up in the canyons in the wet, but I rode nearly the same as I would in the dry. No faults in wet stability... even when I tried to get the cold rear to break loose (DRZSM, mind you) and it would not. Cold tire wheelies in the wet feel great.

Track, Dry: TBD. Haven't had a chance to hit IMI on them yet. Having said that, I feel very confident that by dropping the pressure a few PSI off street, that these things will be nearly as good as the Michilen race's I ran last year. If the rear feels a little hard, they do have the rear in a 'Supersoft' that could be worth trying. I'll update as I get a chance to head out there.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Re: Tire Review: Shinko 003 Stealth

Keep track of your mileage.

These tires are also 3 to 5 seconds off the lap pace at bigger tracks. I owned the 005's just because of budget. But after riding on Powers, BT016, Q2s, etc. I rather just pay the extra $50+ and buy tires that are known for their superiority.

Budget wise: Yes a good tire to ride street (not including canyons, tracks or any other spirited rides).
    MRA #595
    01' YZF R6 RACE (Kinky Kylie)
    Facebook - Shawn Parrish

I had a Shinko Verge on the rear of the VFR from the previous owner. OK for city and commute riding but it felt heavy and slidy in the canyons; not confidence inspiring at all. Replaced it and the fronts with Pilot Road 2s - night and day difference.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Thanks for posting up the info. Nothing stirs up emotions around here like tires, so it's nice to see someone give some feedback to a product that most guys wouldn't test out.
    MRA #88
    Keeping it midpack since 2010!

I'll update with track information as soon as I have a chance to. Latest will be on the 15th (race), but maybe a weekend before that if I have a free day.

I too was apprehensive due to their weight, but I really don't notice it to much compared to the other tires I've ran on the sumo. TBH, I really couldn't give a shit about a tire that was tested 3 seconds down on the track when I plan on using it for occasional commuting, mostly spirited canyon/dirt riding, and the occasional track/race day. Full blow race tire? Don't know, I'll find out on the 15th.

Jeff, not sure what to say about that. However, I did choose the 003 since it is a pretty aggressive tire and is well considered by some of the sportbike guys around the country; alot of zx14 and busa guys enjoy them.

If the mileage isn't complete shit and they do well at the track, I will not hesitate continuing to purchase them in the future and may try the ultra-soft rear or a slick for the track.

To be fair, I did get a pretty big laugh out of this. Maybe you could slap a plate on your race bike and come have some fun?

Budget wise: Yes a good tire to ride street (not including canyons, tracks or any other spirited rides).
    Contingent on how hard I can push them at IMI, I will stand behind these being comparable to $400 race tires at half the price.
    Last edited by Zach929rr; Mon Jul 2nd, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

You ride a DRZ you are gay, your opinion is invalid!

If they are rubber and round and hold air, I say hell yeah, give em a run, they can't be any worse that Distanzia's and plenty of people swear by them. I want to see the data on the 3 second comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post

If they are rubber and round and hold air, I say hell yeah, give em a run, they can't be any worse that Distanzia's and plenty of people swear by them. I want to see the data on the 3 second comment.
    It was a comparo in one of the bike mags. I'll try to find it right now.

EDIT: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/82...on-Review.aspx
    Last edited by Zach929rr; Mon Jul 2nd, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Ok but that has nothing to do with supermotos, totally different criteria, You can run shagged out takeoffs and still get good grip on a light(ish) low hp bike. I wouldn't buy into any of that unless they actually test on the type of bike you are using them on.

Yup totally different hence why I didn't pay too much mind given the riders comments on the tire.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Yup totally different hence why I didn't pay too much mind given the riders comments on the tire.
    My bad, for the type of riding your doing and bike your on, hell go right ahead put them to the test. But even at a $200 dealO I wouldnt compare them to the higher end tires. Really eager to see the review after the IMI test.
    MRA #595
    01' YZF R6 RACE (Kinky Kylie)
    Facebook - Shawn Parrish

Quote Originally Posted by Stank Juic3 View Post
    My bad, for the type of riding your doing and bike your on, hell go right ahead put them to the test. But even at a $200 dealO I wouldnt compare them to the higher end tires. Really eager to see the review after the IMI test.
    With my luck they'll wash out on me
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

when are you headed out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    when are you headed out there?
    Minimoto on the 15th. Might try to make it this weekend.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd