Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back in the saddle again...

Back in the saddle again...

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for advise. I'm a pretty big guy... 6'2" and 260ish pounds. I'm thinking about getting back into riding again after a dozen years without a bike. I have about a dozen years before that of using a bike as my 90 percent of the time vehicle. My last bike was a '96 VFR750 that I bought new.

I've decided to get back on two wheels again and am considering what I want to do with a $2000 to $3000 budget. My primary concern is fuel savings (min 50+mpg but the more the better), but I also want to have some fun in the twisties if I can. I'll primarily be using the bike as a short commuter, about 50-60 miles a week during the week. I will probably be picking up a second bike (sport touring most likely) in a year or two for more serious riding.

I've considered a scooter... but man... well you know.

Then I was thinking about a Ninja250, or something like it, but I'm concerned that I may be expecting too much from it in moving my weight around.

So I'd like opinions about the Ninja suitability, and suggestions on other rides I should consider. I haven't really taken anything for a spin yet since starting this train of thought.

Thanks,
    -David
    Last edited by David; Thu Jul 19th, 2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Because I can't leave well enough alone

Re: Back in the saddle again...

Hi Dave......

A ninja 250 will struggle carrying you..I've seen this, you don't want this..lol

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3145853074.html

Starting point

Welcome
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

i have a 2000 Yamaha R1 with 16k miles. runs like it too. its green, needs a lil work on tank. but low miles. im 6'4" 308lbs. so it will haul you! because of tank and whatnot, if you come up with $3800. its yours!

Finch Home Improvements, LLC.
    720-448-19l9
    finchhomeimprovements@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/finchhomeimprovements
    Free Estimates!
    CSC member labor discount
    www.finchhomeimprovements.com
    2000 Yamaha R1 Sold
    2008 KTM XCR-W 450 - "Tang"
    2006 Yamaha TTR 125 - "Wife's Rig"
    Sportbike/Custom Chopper shopping

Finch Home Improvements, LLC.
    720-448-19l9
    finchhomeimprovements@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/finchhomeimprovements
    Free Estimates!
    CSC member labor discount
    www.finchhomeimprovements.com
    2000 Yamaha R1 Sold
    2008 KTM XCR-W 450 - "Tang"
    2006 Yamaha TTR 125 - "Wife's Rig"
    Sportbike/Custom Chopper shopping

Well, Hayabusa's are out, but get yourself a late model zzr1200 or cbr 1100blackbird. I'm 6ft 5in 280lbs and my zzr12 looks completely size appropriate and with a 6 gal tank, I go 240 miles before refuel. It's not a popular bike so it's a bunch cheaper than other large liter bikes. Maybe a Bandit 1200 but it's still smaller in size vs. the zzr.
    I may not go down in history, but I might go down on your sister!

a liter bike - would be excellent for your size and weight. You need to also determine if you want to be on a full sportbike (you may be cramped as these are small )
    -or perhaps a sport touring ( larger and more comfortable ) model
    or even a new -bigger standard - 919, z1000, fz1 etc.

I advise test riding each of these types - and then finding a style you like and then one you like
    And you can - in the fall -find a suitable model in that price range.

Let us know how we can help ....
    finally - handlebars ...an Aprilia Tuono with Ohlins and OZ's

present
    past rides too numerous to mention

there's a tire shop just east of fed on 70th ave on the north side of the street .. 1st shop
    it's in fed heights/ westminster area with a zzr12 sitting out front ,i think he said it's an 03
    , talked to him the other day and u put 3k in his face and he'll probably take it ..
    he said his wife is divorcing him so he has to get rid of it .. could be bs but it was still out front today
    - The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - I have sworn on the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.- Thomas Jefferson -
    -- HONESTY BEFORE SYMPATHY
    -- NEVER LET ANYONE LIVE RENT FREE IN YOUR HEAD, RENT WILL ALWAYS COST YOU SOMETHING -W.H.HEITZ
    --THE TRUTH WILL EITHER HURT YOU OR HEAL YOU,BUT REGARDLESS, IT'S THE TRUTH
    -- THERE IS A FINE LINE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS, IT MAY BE DRAWN THIN, WIDE, LOOSE OR TAUGHT, BUT IT'S WHETHER YOU THINK OF IT AS A TIGHTROPE OR HOW YOU PLAY HOPSCOTCH ON IT
    - J.A. WRIGHT

I love how no one actually read your post and starts pushing liter bikes
    I am 220# and 6' and I have ridden and raced a ninja 250, it carried me fine and I have even ridden 2 up with my wife in the canyons. You wont be doing much passing but it will get you around. You can raise the rear of the Ninja250 by using Busa lowering links which are cheap and readily available on Ebay. Using the spacer kit sold for lowering the front (you don't actually want to lower the front though) will move the clipons up and open the riding position up for the taller person.
    The 250 will do much better on fuel economy and run much better with some jetting adjustments.
    The 250 is a very popular right now and getting hard to find at the prices they used to be available at.

Hi,

I would agree with the liter bike comments; but that may be out of the price range for you. If you look for a 600 of some type; I ride a 2008 Kawasaki ZZR 600 (basically a 200x era zx6 before it got fuel injected) because while it is a sport bike, it has a more upright riding position than say the newer ZX6 or CBR's. But I would suggest you just go get on one and see how it feels. I commute on the bike 52 miles per day round trip and am not tired when I get home from work. Good Luck.
    SirMikens
    Just in it for the fun of it!
    '07 Blk Kawi ZZR 600

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

One of the 500 twins might also be worth looking at but I don't have any personal experience with them. If you could find one, an old 500 Interceptor would fit your constraints and they are an absolute blast to ride. Good commuter bike, light, 50+ mpg, and being a V4, it has that nice flat torque curve giving you good pull down low and good power up top. And you'd be hard pressed to find a bike that is more fun in the twisties.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

What about an "older" YZF1000? Not talking about an R1, and I believe it's called the Thundercat. Great bike! Nice tourer and capable of carrying your large frame comfortably... With all your gear. Best part of all is you can find great examples in your price range. Nice fuel economy and pretty good to look at. They are awesome bikes... but just a little older.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I have an agreement with a seller to purchase his bike, probably before the weekend. Here's a link to his add http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3143506784.html

My next problem is that for some reason, since riding it, I have a smile on my face all of the time now... I'm told that I am scaring the kids. MUAHAHAH

-David

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas guys. I have an agreement with a seller to purchase his bike, probably before the weekend. Here's a link to his add http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3143506784.html

My next problem is that for some reason, since riding it, I have a smile on my face all of the time now... I'm told that I am scaring the kids. MUAHAHAH

-David
    Congrats, I had a red '98 too! You will love it, no disappointments. And has the low-mid range torque that is plenty to haul your weight. I probably weighed around 250 back then, it didn't flinch. And it handles just fine up in the mountains. Riding position is more comfortable than a full-on sportbike, allowing for hours of riding without fatique that I remember.

Unfortunately I don't remember the MPG, but I'm sure it isn't much worse than a liter rocket. The motor SOUNDS MEAN, good growl, especially with my 2Bros exhaust. Honda reliability & longevity of course.

I actually miss that bike, and wouldn't hesititate getting a new VFR if I was in the market for a sport-touring that is sportier looking than most sport-touring bikes, imo. I'd just get white this time, heh.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Well, I would have suggested a 5th gen VFR but it won't do 50-60 mpg commuting unless you really pamper the throttle. But it's a good choice. Have fun with it.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

You my friend are a Genius....lol

Long live the VFR

It will do everything you want and more and yes my 5th Gen makes me smile like nothing else also.

Only issue I see with that one in the add is they removed the passenger pegs to accommodate the high mount exhaust...Looks good though

He has all of the original parts still, I'll be putting the orig exhaust and pegs back on, at least for a few months to give friends and family rides in the beginning, but I can see it going back to this config over the winter. I really couldn't be more pleased with the decision.

Getting on the bike was like coming home again after being overseas for the first time. That is the best way I can put it.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Well, I would have suggested a 5th gen VFR but it won't do 50-60 mpg commuting unless you really pamper the throttle. But it's a good choice. Have fun with it.
    The fuel economy really was something I wanted, but the more I was looking at saving a few bucks on the front end and scrimping a few bucks a week in gas savings... the more I felt "Screw it, have some fun Dave"

The fuel economy really was something I wanted, but the more I was looking at saving a few bucks on the front end and scrimping a few bucks a week in gas savings... the more I felt "Screw it, have some fun Dave"
    I like that way of thinking. The VFR will treat you well. If it doesn't have one, you probably ought to put a little computer fan on the regulator/rectifier to help keep it cool. R/R failures are the only real issues I've seen with the 5th gens.

--Thomas Jefferson

Cool! Another Viffer!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

And you are being logical - get comfortable with this bike as a single - and then you can look to carry passengers safely

Enjoy the VFR... a great all around bike and BOTY many times
    finally - handlebars ...an Aprilia Tuono with Ohlins and OZ's

present
    past rides too numerous to mention

VFR Ride? That could be loud and fun!

Enjoy!
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

So I ended up picking her up today. She's all legal and raring to go.

Now I just have to work on automating my kitchen pass...