Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 600's - what are the rumors?

Re: 2013 600's - what are the rumors?

Quote Originally Posted by VFR View Post
    Dollar for Dollar.....This is the winner in my eyes

I'm with you 95%. Mainly because I would be on the Tuono instead.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    Rumor has it that BMW is developing a 600 or 750.

I would love to see a 600cc 130hp bike out of BMW. Shit will sell like the lumberjack slam at Denny's.
    Ahhh yes, I have somewhat purposely only brought up the Japanese manufacturers, but I too heard BMW may have something in the works. Bring it! Though, please give it a "balanced" front instead of that one-round-light-one-angular light.

I like what Triumph did with the 675R package. Offering a racer ready-ish model seems like an interesting way to differentiate. Would / could the Japanese follow suit? A ZX-6RR that is truly 'race ready-ish' and not just a model that meets cc requirement (I'm overstating that a bit, I know)? How about Honda? A CBR600RRR? Upgraded brakes, suspension, other tricky bits on a showroom model for a bit of a premium yet still under the price of a liter bike? Yes please.

Let's not forget Ducati. With Audi closing on the deal to purchase them for a cool $1 Beeeelleeeon dollars, Ducaudi won't likely push through anything for the middleweight category THIS year, but could see something in the near future?
    MRA #88
    Keeping it midpack since 2010!

What about the MV F3? That's brand new.

I would love to see Kawi bring back the 636 engine and designate the ZX-6RR as the 599cc race homologated version again. The 636 was one of the best middleweight street bikes I've ever ridden, and I was bummed when they axed it.

I don't think we're going to see much for 2013 though.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Honda needs to build a 600cc V4 supersport. The difference in power delivery between a V4 and an I4 at that displacement would make for a superior race and street bike. But Ghost is right. They'll just continue to stamp out the cheaper I4's.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    The MV is a sexy machine in many ways, and I really didn't consider it. It is priced around the same as the Triumph 675R and from the reviews I saw, the Triumph is just better at this point. But you brought up a model I hadn't added to the mix.
    MRA #88

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Honda needs to build a 600cc V4 supersport. The difference in power delivery between a V4 and an I4 at that displacement would make for a superior race and street bike. But Ghost is right. They'll just continue to stamp out the cheaper I4's.
    Something like a "RVF600RR" would be awesome--in fantasy land where these bikes exist...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyrdr View Post
    The MV is a sexy machine in many ways, and I really didn't consider it. It is priced around the same as the Triumph 675R and from the reviews I saw, the Triumph is just better at this point. But you brought up a model I hadn't added to the mix.
    I'd pass on the F3...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...F3-review.html

MV Agusta has been going through interesting times in recent years, with various ownership changes including a firefighting sale by Harley-Davidson when the American company was hammered by subprime recession debts and had to shed assets fast. Ownership returned to the inspirational Claudio Castiglioni, who had revived the historic brand during the Nineties, and happily he was left with the legacy of substantial investment when Harley had been at the helm.

The long-running F4 superbike had been effectively updated and work was well under way in the development of a new middleweight sports bike, the three-cylinder F3, hugely anticipated because of its high specification and stunning good looks.

The F3 is now on sale. I was about to say “ready”, but that wouldn’t be accurate or fair to anyone thinking of buying one. I’ll come to that shortly.

The bike is built using established MV engineering, which means a steel trellis frame married to cast aluminium side plates at the rear of the engine, clothed in bodywork which is sleek and feline and, if anything, even better looking than the F4 which inspired it. The wheelbase is the shortest in the class and the weight the lowest at 381lb, according to MV’s claims, and high-quality suspension is fitted, with forks from Marzocchi and a Sachs rear shock.

The sophisticated electronics package includes an eight-level traction-control system, launch control, anti-wheelie system, electronic engine-braking control and quick-shift gear changing, much of which is made possible by the full ride-by-wire throttle. This all helps tame the huge 126bhp output from the 675cc, three-cylinder engine – that’s almost 190bhp per litre – which has a backward-rotating crankshaft to help counter gyroscopic effects on the handling.

Sadly, it’s not these advances you notice when riding the bike, but the dreadful fuelling at low revs. The bike fires up readily and barks eagerly when you blip the throttle, yet the motor also coughs when you’re riding. Pulling away demands some concentration to prevent it stalling, but grab more twistgrip to prevent that and the amount of revs you get is unpredictable. You’ll struggle to trickle through traffic because the engine won’t hold a steady speed, instead surging or dying and causing the bike to lurch.

Work it harder and things improve, with the power delivery smoothing out as the revs rise. By 6,000rpm it’s starting to feel as it should, pulling hard and backing that up with a ripping-fabric wail that climbs seductively with the revs. It keeps on spinning eagerly, accelerating as hard or possibly harder than any other bike in the 600 supersport class (which sets 675cc triples against 600cc fours on the track, with the categories spilling over into road bikes). But you get some annoying dips in the torque delivery, as well as splutters and kicks when opening the throttle from closed.

It would probably be fine on the track, but this is a road bike and therefore that poor fuelling is not acceptable. Quite simply, the fuelling maps (you get a choice of four) are not ready, and MV has admitted as much. The first revised maps will have been completed as you read this, with more planned, but all this should have been done before the bike went on sale.

Sport mode throws up an additional quirk, an occasional sensation that the bike has dropped out of gear when you’re approaching a corner. In fact this is the engine braking system cutting in, opening the throttle slightly to prevent rear wheel lock-up, but it’s overeager and gives the feeling that you’re accelerating into a turn rather than braking. I’d advise not using the Sport setting on the road for this reason, as it’s the only mode in which the braking control operates.

These problems are such a shame on what is otherwise a fabulous bike. The handling is agile and tactile, if a little too lively on bumpy roads, while the riding position is surprisingly spacious, even for a taller rider. The suspension is firm for road use, but this is a hardcore sports bike and that’s fair enough, and there’s plenty of adjustability if you want more compliance. It’s also beautifully put together and its looks alone are almost worth the £10,000 asking price.

THE FACTS

MV August F3
    Price/on sale: £9,999/now
    Power/torque: 126bhp @ 14,400rpm/52lb ft @ 10,600rpm
    Top speed: 160mph
    Fuel tank/range: 3.5 gallons/n/a miles
    Verdict: A fabulous motorcycle which isn’t finished yet. Give MV another six months to get the electronics right and this could well be the best bike in the class, but don’t buy one at the moment. We’ll be revisiting the F3 at a later date
    Telegraph rating: One out of five stars
    RIVALS
    Suzuki GSX-R600, £8,799
    Lacks the glamour of the MV but it’s the best bike in the class. The engine drips with mid-range torque and still manages a top-end kick, the handling is delightful, the brakes powerful, it’s well made and also benign and easy around town.
    Ducati 848 Evo, £10,995
    An extra £1,000 gets you the most road-usable of Ducati’s superbikes. It’s well proven, fully developed and boasts exceptional ride quality. It’s also searingly fast and outstanding on a track. Running costs are surprisingly low, too.
    Triumph Daytona 675R, £9,999
    The Daytona triple might be long in the tooth but the high-spec R is a close match for the MV. It lacks the exotic looks and badge but the 675R is smooth, sophisticated, exciting and very fast. You get Öhlins and Brembo equipment, too.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

http://zx6r.com/zx6r/30080-new-kawas...6r-2013-a.html

apparently the zx6 is gonna look like last years zx10.

Sexy looking 600....If they pack it with some of the 10's goodies it will be awesome....
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

Agreed! I also think we may see the death of the VFR soon. This new one did not sell and Honda does what Honda wants to do, not customer demand for sure.

If they wrap a semi-sexy body around that 1200CC engine Im buying
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

Quote Originally Posted by sciroccojoe View Post
    http://zx6r.com/zx6r/30080-new-kawas...6r-2013-a.html

apparently the zx6 is gonna look like last years zx10.

I saw some speculation along those lines too. Interesting to see it being reported as a rumor, though, it's a French mag, those baguette-eating bastards.

That price in the lower right - 12,000€ - ouuuch. I hope they French kiss ya at that price.
    MRA #88

Quote Originally Posted by VFR View Post
    Agreed! I also think we may see the death of the VFR soon. This new one did not sell and Honda does what Honda wants to do, not customer demand for sure.
    Yeah, I keep hoping that they'll do something with a 750-1000 V4 supersport but I think the global economic downturn has greatly diminished the odds of that. I think Soichiro would be very disappointed in the current state of Honda offerings.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Yeah, I keep hoping that they'll do something with a 750-1000 V4 supersport but I think the global economic downturn has greatly diminished the odds of that. I think Soichiro would be very disappointed in the current state of Honda offerings.
    They seem to have forgotten what he was all about, bean counters who were not around when he still had influence over the company run things now.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    They seem to have forgotten what he was all about, bean counters who were not around when he still had influence over the company run things now.
    That is unfortunately true of most business today, there is a very good book on this subject - Car Guys vs Bean Counters The battle for the soul of American business by Bob Lutz. While the bean counter management philosophy will work for commodity products like paint or carpet or lawn mowers it is a complete failure in markets driven by enthusiasts. Build a motorcycle enthusiasts want and even if your profit decreases by 15% when you sell twice as many units your total profit is up. This is the concept that goes right over the head of the bean counters. All they see is less profit.

I think the Euro manufacturers get this and market towards segments but then most aren't as concerned with absolute maximum sales as they are selling well within their particular market segments. They seem to market to enthusiast markets instead of focusing on a mass market appeal.

When I was looking to trade from my Sprint the only Japanese bikes that I considered was the Concours14 and the FJR1300, the ST1300 just did not interest me in, seemed too tight on my legs. There are really few motorcycles the Japanese make anymore that I have any interest in. I really wanted a new Triumph Trophy but they didn't announce that until a month after I bought the C14, I also considered a BMW RT and Moto Guzzi Norge but the price bump was more than we wanted to spend. If the Trophy had already been on the streets and the price point between that of the C14 and the RT, I would've gone after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    I keep waiting for Yamaha to come out with a crossplane R6.

Wonder who is gonna be the first with TC on a 600?
    Time to revive the rumor mill since we're starting to see to 2013's.

Yamaha announced at INTERMOT this week they are working on a 675cc triple with a crossplane-crank motor for a 2014 model. No word on WHAT this will go into, but sounds to me like what Wrider was envisioning but in a 3-cylinder package aimed at the Daytona and M3. This could shake things up a bit.

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/news/i...ry1|||nulltext

By now we all know the Kawi ZX-6R is coming back as a 636cc. Lots of interesting features on that bike. Including TC.

Maybe even more news will come out this week!
    MRA #88

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cbr600rr.aspx

2013 600RR Repsol replica? Yes please...

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by JKOL View Post

That's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by JKOL View Post

No thanks. Orange and red is ghastly combination. I'll take the red, white and blue scheme. Now, Honda, put a V4 in it and watch it dominate the 600cc class.

--Thomas Jefferson

No thanks. Orange and red is ghastly combination. I'll take the red, white and blue scheme. Now, Honda, put a V4 in it and watch it dominate the 600cc class.
    You do seem partial to red, white, and blue.

A V4 would be sick, but I will settle for throwing those wheels on my 07.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Yeah the red white and blue color scheme is the best on that bike I think. though the overall look of the bike... Looks like an anime ninja.

Quote Originally Posted by laspariahs View Post
    Yeah the red white and blue color scheme is the best on that bike I think. though the overall look of the bike... Looks like an anime ninja.
    Not digging the headlight design.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...