Thread: laptop advice

laptop advice

I need advice for a new laptop. I just use it to watch videos, surf forums and occasionally some work typing and such. I'm looking for something that will hold up. 600to10000$ range.
    You've Grown Quite Mangy Cat, But Your Grins' A Comfort.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: laptop advice

If you enjoy watching videos, then make sure you get the nicest, largest screen that fits within your budget and techno-wants. An HDMI out is nice to have when you want to output to a big TV or something.

I have a 17.3 HP laptop, and I love it. I suspect it would be too large for consistent travel, but I just use mine around the house.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

My vote goes for Vaio. But if you want something high speed, check out Voodoo or Falcon Northwest.

+1 for the vaio. I bought mine back in 09 and I've never had a single problem with it... Of course, that may be because I bought the extended warranty.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

If you are really only using it for the stuff you listed, and not gaming or doing any CPU and/or grfx intensive applications like Photoshop, video editing, 3d modeling, etc., you can pick up a decent laptop less than your range. NewEgg has a bunch even under $500, will go along way nowadays and perform your functions quickly and with no issue.

Here are their Intel Core i5 laptops w/ 15.6" screen, from $500 - $700: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...%20-%2015.6%22

Most have an HDMI port, Windows7, and the usual specs.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Sun Aug 5th, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

MacBook.
    Drama is a poor substitute for adventure. (c)2011

Here is a great local deal that will easily do what you want for $379 at Micro Center

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

I picked up my 15" HP at Micro Center for $349. I use it mainly for a bit of web surfing, Netflix/HBOGo and it even runs the majority of my online games (at low graphics settings). So yeah your price range is well above the range for most machines that will do what you need. My HP is a bit finnicky though, I dont particularly care for it, but I've had Asus and Toshiba laptops in the past that I loved. Both likely offer models in the same ~$400 range or so.

Subscribing to this thread.

We have our Macbooks and iPads, but I'm not so sold on the iPad as a travel PC when on the bike. I would like something inexpensive with wireless, SD slots, and rugged enough .. and small enough for a tank bag or tail bag. Sould be powerful enough to edit photos and short GoPro videos. Sounds like the 15" PCs might be the ticket?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I'm shying away from HP asbmy last two have died on me. Vaio looks like a good choice.
    You've Grown Quite Mangy Cat, But Your Grins' A Comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoMike View Post
    I'm shying away from HP asbmy last two have died on me. Vaio looks like a good choice.
    Reason for my vaio is because of a fried motherboard in an HP. When I went to Microcenter to replace it, there was an HP rep there and he sweared up, down and sideways that HP had mended their ways... I smiled and walked away.

Fast forward 1 year and my mom bought a HP laptop... the supposed upgrade to the paperweight currently rotting away in my basement. It lasted less than two years.

I'd go apple before HP.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    Reason for my vaio is because of a fried motherboard in an HP. When I went to Microcenter to replace it, there was an HP rep there and he sweared up, down and sideways that HP had mended their ways... I smiled and walked away.

Fast forward 1 year and my mom bought a HP laptop... the supposed upgrade to the paperweight currently rotting away in my basement. It lasted less than two years.

I'd go apple before HP.
    I wonder if that is just a laptop situation or if you just had bad luck. I use nothing but HP desktops both personally and at work with no issues at all. I even have a couple at work that are around 10 years old and still running. Granted they have moved from a managers desk through several steps down to a very low use, low load function but they are still running

After my laptop died, I did some research and found that those models had bad overheating problems. It was well documented and HP even did an extended warranty recall for it.

Of course, mine died two months out of warranty and HP told me to pound sand.

Been issued HP laptops at work for years. The PC techs here love them, say very low failure rate.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Now you guys have me all stressed about my HP lappy!
    :crosses fingers:
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

If you don't have a DV7 or 9, I wouldn't worry about anything.

Durable and can double as a club.

http://www.panasonic.com/business/to...-computers.asp
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    At my former job I had an older version of the Toughbook for when I was out in the field, they really are robust as hell, but I think a bit of overkill for the OP's needs.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    At my former job I had an older version of the Toughbook for when I was out in the field, they really are robust as hell, but I think a bit of overkill for the OP's needs.
    Not if he wants to do his important movie watching and facebooking in a desert or tropical rainforest. I'm just sayin'... Hahaha!
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    Not if he wants to do his important movie watching and facebooking in a desert or tropical rainforest. I'm just sayin'... Hahaha!
    He'll want something solar powered (or with a hand crank) in that case.

~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Lennovo are pretty solid. I'm impressed. I had a Panasonic toughbook for work. You could literally throw across the room into the case and not worry about it.

Both my Viaos survived Afghanistan. Lennovo is a great product too.

Go with at least, minimum, 4gb of ram. Go with a middle of the road processor so you're not getting last years model and you are not paying for R&D. Stay away from integrated graphics cards, ie intel graphics. Hard drive is pretty self explanatory, I would stay as far away from HP as possible as I have never had good experiences with them, also stay away from Toshibas as they are junk and very expensive for parts, Sony's have a ton of screws to take them apart and can be a pain to fix. If you are going to get one from a mainstream computer company, I'd stick with Dell or Apple. Otherwise check out Newegg laptops, Asus makes a badass computer.