Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1118192021

Thread: Winter buster ride, Sunday March 3rd

Re: Winter buster ride, Sunday March 3rd

Do something productive with your time there in bed and leave the reruns of Jersey Shore to someone else.

itms://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-entreleadership-podcast/id435836905
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Dickhead move or not, you (and only you) are in control of your emotions and skill. You let the red mist get to you, and over rode your ability. Do something constructive - heal up and learn something about yourself from this experience; being bitter accomplishes nothing.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    Do something productive with your time there in bed and leave the reruns of Jersey Shore to someone else.

itms://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-entreleadership-podcast/id435836905
    Or learn something you've always wanted to, for me that was reading a book on iOS and doing thing iTunes U course on it.
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by CalamariKid View Post
    I posted up some pics from the ride here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEhnPfP
    Thx for sharing them.
    2000 Honda RC51

somebody kick that blue and white drz over the next time you see it
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Heal up soon dude! I don't know you, but if you want some company, send me a PM and tell me which hospital you're in. I'll bring a movie and some popcorn or whatevs... Hospitals can get pretty boring...

Quote Originally Posted by CalamariKid View Post
    I posted up some pics from the ride here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEhnPfP
    Thanks indeed, I missed one hell of a ride.

And thanks for the vids GRIM!
    Last edited by Spooph; Mon Mar 11th, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooph View Post

Thanks indeed, I missed one hell of a ride.

And thanks for the vids GRIM!
    Thanks for watching

What I learned in my class is that it takes a number of things to come together before a crash actually happens. Get rid of one of the things (IE: Break the Chain) and the crash would not happen.

Please chime in (to add or subtract) but these are the things I see that completed the chain:

1: Jay is a Noob in group ride
    2: Jay was trying to break through the pack so he could ride right next to YamahaRider22 instead of staying in staggered formation
    3: YR22 kept his mouth shut about #2
    4: YR22 invited Jay to the gathering as a friend and to hang out with.
    5: Jay tried to keep up with his friend "YR22".
    6: Jay passed his friend
    7: YR22 is now in a bad mood and pissed, cause him to cross the double yellow to pass his friend around a 130 degree turn
    8: YR22 comes back across the double yellow while in a lean.

The chain is complete and crash is imminent, if not there, then some other place up HWY7.

Break one of the items in the chain above and the crash would not happen.

I am not saying who is to blame, I am just saying what I learned in my class and plan to live by this rule of "Break the Chain"

2008 GSX650F
    2012 Azera, 2009 Santa Fe, 2002 300M,
    2001 Aurora Sold, 1966 Coronet 500 Sold, 1992 3000GT VR4 Sold, and many others sold

Jay has nothing to do with it. If it weren't him, it would have been another noob or some other motorist on the road. The situation was overdue to happen and if it didn't take place on this ride, it was just a matter of time.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    Jay has nothing to do with it. If it weren't him, it would have been another noob or some other motorist on the road. The situation was overdue to happen and if it didn't take place on this ride, it was just a matter of time.
    All I am saying is there was a chain of events after leaving OB that caused the issue.

I wasn't on the ride after OB so I cannot say how the ride was or how people were riding.

If anyone does #7 and #8, that person pretty much completed the chain.

2008 GSX650F
    2001 Aurora Sold, 1966 Coronet 500 Sold, 1992 3000GT VR4 Sold, and many others sold

Quote Originally Posted by moep View Post
    Break one of the items in the chain above and the crash would not happen.

I am not saying who is to blame, I am just saying what I learned in my class and plan to live by this rule of "Break the Chain"
    Hindsight = 20/20.
    One usually doesn't have the benefit of foresight in these circumstances to recognize the links in the "chain" so as to break it. Which is why they're called accidents. If this is your master plan for staying safe on two wheels, then the best of luck to you.
    Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zviffer View Post
    Hindsight = 20/20.
    One usually doesn't have the benefit of foresight in these circumstances to recognize the links in the "chain" so as to break it. Which is why they're called accidents. If this is your master plan for staying safe on two wheels, then the best of luck to you.
    Foresight...... Experience.......
    I know I've talked to riders and watched riders and thought, "oh this isn't going to end well. Grim, where's your camera?"
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by Zviffer View Post
    Hindsight = 20/20.
    I am 52 years old. I have been driving cars since I was 15 and riding bikes since I was was about 13. I have been off the bike for about 15 years and that is why I call myself a noob.

With that said, I have been in many accidents and two were my fault. Guess what, I was been stupid those two time. Once I wanted to see how the new trans will work and I t-boned a car. The second, I wanted to see how fast my car could make it around a turn and I ended up in a tree. There should have been other times that I really should not have made it, but somehow I did. Once again, all those times I was being stupid.

If you are calling YR22 crash an accident, then all I can say is I hope you learned something.

Definition of "Accident" is An unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.

This was neither unexpected or unintentional.

I am not judging. We all really feel for YR22 and wish him the best. He has my cell and can call me if he wants company at the hospital. CSC is here to help and point out things people do wrong. I hope when I do something wrong, pleeease tell me so I can correct it.

If/when I get into a crash, I hope, everyone here will tell me what I did wrong, then come visit me in the hospital and then hit me over the head for being stupid.

As far as breaking the chain, the instructor of my riding class has over 500K under his belt by making sure that the chain is not completed.

My goal is to have fun on the bike and try to stay alive. To stay alive, I don't plan on getting into any accident.

All of my friends and family members that have been in motorcycle crashes, that have been injured and/or killed (Yes. I have lost three to be exact). One was being stupid, one was drunk and the third one did not have a helmet on). I call one of them an accident because he hit sand around a turn but he was the one not wearing a helmet, the other two I call crashes.

So to answer your question, Yes, this is my master plan plus getting more experience.

I really hope you have taken a safety course. If you haven't, please take one, it is worth it.
    Last edited by moep; Tue Mar 12th, 2013 at 10:56 PM.

2008 GSX650F

Senior Member Moderator

Taking that fall you're lucky to be alive man. I wish you my heartfelt best for your recovery. I have no doubt you'll relive those moments before the crash for the rest of your life, as any who have stared death in the face can attest. You can't help but learn and grow from it because the pains and scars will serve as a constant reminder. I'm glad you want to get back in the saddle, but for now, get well.

Quote Originally Posted by moep View Post
    What I learned in my class is that it takes a number of things to come together before a crash actually happens. Get rid of one of the things (IE: Break the Chain) and the crash would not happen.
    Reminds me of a similar, near-incident, I had riding north with Clovis from Pine to Pine Junction last year. Got caught behind a dual-sport rider who, as I was passing him on a straight, decided to speed up to prevent me from making the pass. It didn't stop me from passing him, but it was at far too uncomfortable a speed for me on that stretch of highway.

Foolishly, I kept up the pace to put some distance between he and I and entered a corner too hot, braked, stood up, fixated, and crossed deep into the oncoming lane. I'm lucky the lane was empty and came to my senses before hitting the edge of the highway.

In hindsight, I should have left my ego at home and backed off when the other rider accelerated. Regardless, I took another token out of my bag of luck that day. It was a stupid mistake that I think back on and shudder at the thought of the other potential outcomes.

I'm not judging or pointing finger, what I will share however is my ethos for riding:

I, as the rider, am 100% responsible for my safety on the road, and that includes compensating for the stupid/inattentive/ego-driven people on the road.

Wanna know how you're an "experienced" rider? It has nothing to do with speed.... It has everything to do with knowing what is going to happen BEFORE it happens... THAT'S experienced. Not mileage, time or anything else.

I used to be an experienced rider, but have never been "the fastest", then I took 9 months off the bike. After breaking the bike out the other day I realized just how newb I now am. Luckily I retained my situational awareness. I am preparing myself for a slow but safe returning season on the bike....
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooph View Post

Wanna know how you're an "experienced" rider? It has nothing to do with speed.... It has everything to do with knowing what is going to happen BEFORE it happens... THAT'S experienced. Not mileage, time or anything else.
    Well said

When I was a newer sportbike rider, when I first joined the club, I would go on group rides and see experienced racers come in at the back of the pack and I would always think "damn these guys are slow for being racers". Then I'd go to the track and see them flying and it finally clicked that experience means knowing when and where to push it.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Nice post spooph

1999 DR650SE

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I agree with your ethos Spooph, and I like your definition of "experienced". For my tastes though, I believe it is the miles and time spent in the saddle, that help build and hone those "what might happen next" senses.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Anyone know how YamahaRider22 is doing?

2008 GSX650F