Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Motorcycle Skill Rating Road Map

Colorado Motorcycle Skill Rating Road Map

This might have been posted here before and if it has I apologize to the admin up front:

http://www.coloradodot.info/programs...resources.html

Click on "Contact CDOT". Tara will send out the map in a day or so. There is no cost for the map or shipping.

This is a great map for skill level and for planing trips.

Moe

2008 GSX650F
    2012 Azera, 2009 Santa Fe, 2002 300M,
    2001 Aurora Sold, 1966 Coronet 500 Sold, 1992 3000GT VR4 Sold, and many others sold

Re: Colorado Motorcycle Skill Rating Road Map

I don't agree with all the ratings but I do keep a map handy.
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

The map was written by a few members on these very forums!
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Can't beat a free map!
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Cool just to have handy.

a part of hell where its always warm and the roads are to die for

Blah lame map

Quote Originally Posted by Fumet5uNo View Post
    Blah lame map
    It is better then nothing for noobs. I like and use it.

2008 GSX650F
    2001 Aurora Sold, 1966 Coronet 500 Sold, 1992 3000GT VR4 Sold, and many others sold

Saving this to my desktop, great find! Then again I am a noob and have done some of those red ones and don't really find them to be that difficult. But this is a good reference tho
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fumet5uNo View Post
    Blah lame map
    Hater.

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    Saving this to my desktop, great find! Then again I am a noob and have done some of those red ones and don't really find them to be that difficult. But this is a good reference tho
    On my first trip out, I did the Boulder to Nederland. It is a red and I did not have any problems.

2008 GSX650F

Quote Originally Posted by moep View Post
    On my first trip out, I did the Boulder to Nederland. It is a red and I did not have any problems.
    I have done that trip twice and agree, its twisty and there is a steep portion on the way back down I think it is before you hit the tunnel near boulder. I dislike higher speeds going downhill as I have to work the brake and am still bad at that.

They have the ride from Pine Junction down to Deckers also in red. I find that a very fun ride due to the wide lanes and openness I can see much better than the trickier tighter turning roads like Deer Creek. But the downhill way there is the scariest for me now with my confidence issues after my lowside as you can get up some good speed heading down the slopes to get to Deckers. The ride back up to the top is much more fun than going downhill. I think that;s why the call it Horsepower Hill since you get to see what you're bike's capable of. I shouldnt post my speed but that's the ONLY time I've ever hit XXX

This is a strange implementation of a familiar concept. Ski runs, mountain bike or dirt bike single track trails, 4x4 trails, all use a rating system, but they have obstacles and features that the very act of traveling over would make them difficult if not impossible for someone who got in over their head. These are state highways, kind of a stretch to assign difficulty to them. Sure, it's more difficult to travel at higher speeds on the more difficult ones, but any rank beginner could drive on any of these roads with no problem, they're just going to be going slower than more experienced riders. Interesting concept nontheless.
    The Toys:
    05 Suzuki SV1000S
    07 KTM 450EXC
    00 Toyota MR2
    76 Toyota Landcruiser Rockcrawler
    13 Yeti SB66c
    Too many skis to list

Quote Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
    This is a strange implementation of a familiar concept. Ski runs, mountain bike or dirt bike single track trails, 4x4 trails, all use a rating system, but they have obstacles and features that the very act of traveling over would make them difficult if not impossible for someone who got in over their head. These are state highways, kind of a stretch to assign difficulty to them. Sure, it's more difficult to travel at higher speeds on the more difficult ones, but any rank beginner could drive on any of these roads with no problem, they're just going to be going slower than more experienced riders. Interesting concept nontheless.
    I think this map is really to determine if you are going to wear the "If you can read this, the Bitch fell off" jacket or not.

2008 GSX650F

It is an interesting idea but like others have said, none of these roads are difficult, they are just difficult to ride at a higher pace if you are newbie. If you can't comfortably go the posted speed limit on those red roads then you probably need more experience before going in the canyons.

If you are a more experienced rider though, and like fun roads at a spirited pace, the red roads on the map are a good way to see that. They should rate them from most fun to least fun and then say the most fun roads are also the most difficult for new riders lol.

The red roads are the tough ones to ride on my lazy boy recliner wearing chaps and my doo-rag.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Red ones are tough after bar hopping all day.

How about a rating for curviness, fun factor, road quality, number of tar snakes... stuff like that?

Got my map in the mail today, nice map. I have missed a few "fun" roads, which I will most certainly bag this year.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

The red road that makes me laugh is Hwy 83 from Parker to Franktown. I ride that everyday in my commute and the only hazard is wearing out the center of my tires. However the bar hopping might qualify it as the Stagecoach in Franktown is a big biker bar

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

For you guys that are griping about the product of a lot of work, a fair amount of it by people on this very forum, how about you produce a better one? The fact that you can ride a red road at super badass pace without falling down isn't the point. How about having a little gratitude for the fact that CDOT and some volunteers produced something of value for riders that may not have your mad skills? Instead of griping on a forum, do something constructive and produce what you think is needed.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    For you guys that are griping about the product of a lot of work, a fair amount of it by people on this very forum, how about you produce a better one? The fact that you can ride a red road at super badass pace without falling down isn't the point. How about having a little gratitude for the fact that CDOT and some volunteers produced something of value for riders that may not have your mad skills? Instead of griping on a forum, do something constructive and produce what you think is needed.
    I don't care how badass I am, I want to err on the side of caution and some of the greens are not green imo.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    The map is great for Noobs, visitors and to plan trips. I look at the map all the time and I am planing a great summer based on this map.

I love the map.

2008 GSX650F

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

The map is great for Noobs, visitors and to plan trips. I look at the map all the time and I am planing a great summer based on this map.

I love the map.
    Thank you
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

I love the map.
    I will agree. being a noob myself I will for sure stay away from the reds if I want a laid back ride