Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you move this?

How would you move this?

Hey everyone,

So I have a new job that is relocating me to Salt Lake in Utah, and I am going to have to pack up my stuff an move by February. I currently have a bunch of misc stuff such as clothes, kitchenware, furniture, tv & stereo equipment that will all need to be transported by a big U-Haul truck of some sort.

What's more- is that I have a Jeep Wrangler (built as an on & offroad hybrid, therefore it doesn't get excellent mpg). It has a trailer hitch, but I'd rather tow IT behind the U-Haul truck.

All that said, that still leaves me left guessing how to move my sportbike?

Would you guys:
    A) Ride it (~8 hrs in winter weather from CO to UT)
    B) Trailer it? (If so, how could I trailer both my jeep and the bike?)
    C) Have it shipped or transported (if so, what's the cost and who do you recommend?)
    D) Store it in storage or a friend's garage and fly back from SLC to Den to ride it back during a season with better conditions.
    E) Somehow securely strap and store it INSIDE the U-Haul truck?
    F) Another recommendation?

As you can probably tell, I've never moved with a sportbike- so I'd love some input... and at this time, I'm not considering selling it- as I'd rather sell the Jeep than this baby!

Thanks for the help,
    -Chris
    (77O-six55-3O35) '03 R6 (new baby) / '03 SV650 (sold) Almond Imaging Photography

Gold Member

Re: How would you move this?

Ummmmm... load it in the U-Haul. Done.

I moved here from DC. I had the same R6 as you, and a WR250. I got a penske truck because it had wood floors. I put 6 eye hooks in the floor and strapped the bikes down in the front of the truck. Everything else fit behind, and I put my awd car on a trailer behind the truck

You moving mattresses? Strap the bike between a couple of mattresses in the Uhaul.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

I'd put it in the Uhaul truck, but I would be very sure that the existing tie downs (if any) are VERY secure otherwise I would buy some and install them myself. I learned that one the hard way....
    If you want to leave the bike in CO until better weather, I have room inside a secure shipping container at the track.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

strap it inside the truck securely, check it everytime you stop.

I didn't know there were straps mounts on the floor of those trucks.

I've never strapped down a bike. I assume there is a YouTube on how to do it.

Do all U-Hauls have those floor mounting points or hook spots?
    -Chris
    Last edited by ATL; Tue Jan 1st, 2013 at 03:49 PM.
    (77O-six55-3O35) '03 R6 (new baby) / '03 SV650 (sold) Almond Imaging Photography

no I don't think many of them have floor mounts, some trucks have them on the side, which I didnt feel was secure. So I screwed hooks into the floor of the penske truck

Uhaul truck. Used 3 straps on each side of the bike to the wall and pack soft stuff around the bike.

I did test the wall boards before I rented the truck.

I drove from VA to FL during relocation with the bike in the back like that. If you strap it securely, it will be secure.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Cool man!! I own a loft out there and if Denver didnt exist, I would move back in an instant - great people, low crime, low poverty, good roads, close skiing, good public transportation, good food/drinks - hit up squaters and have a 'devastator - (I doubt they are still brewing it), any plans to go out to Miller Motorsports?…I miss SLC but I have alot of family and friend here.

where are you working?

I would put it in the back of the Uhaul, tie it in, wrap it in blankets and put big stuff all around it…

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    I moved here from DC. I had the same R6 as you, and a WR250. I got a penske truck because it had wood floors. I put 6 eye hooks in the floor and strapped the bikes down in the front of the truck. Everything else fit behind, and I put my awd car on a trailer behind the truck

Nice!

From clicking around online, a Penske truck with my size + bike + trailer for car looks to cost around $1,000, while a comparable U-Haul looks to cost around $760.

From your experience, do all Penske Trucks have wood floors? Those eye-hooks look pretty enticing as you can place them anywhere.

I'll probably need to purchase the "canyon-dancer" straps to tie down the bike safely.

Thanks for the words of advice everyone!
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ATL View Post
    Nice!

From clicking around online, a Penske truck with my size + bike + trailer for car looks to cost around $1,000, while a comparable U-Haul looks to cost around $760.

From your experience, do all Penske Trucks have wood floors? Those eye-hooks look pretty enticing as you can place them anywhere.

I'll probably need to purchase the "canyon-dancer" straps to tie down the bike safely.

Thanks for the words of advice everyone!
    -Chris
    Go to the place you're actually gonna get it from and make sure it has wood floors. Also, simply tell penske that uhaul has it for much less. I did that back and forth about 3 times before I finally paid, they both came down in price by hundreds

If you don't have a wood floor to bolt into .. make a wheel chock from 2x4s spanning the width of the truck. Kind of like this:

Most of the box vans have wooden side rails you can attach anchor points to secure the load from shifting; bolt some eyebolts to those.
    Last edited by asp_125; Fri Jan 4th, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    If you don't have a wood floor to bolt into .. make a wheel chock from 2x4s spanning the width of the truck. Kind of like this:

Most of the box vans have wooden side rails you can attach anchor points to secure the load from shifting; bolt some eyebolts to those.
    That's a good call... Where is the best place to pick up cut-to-spec 2x4's? Home Depot?

I'm actually really nervous about moving with the bike inside the truck.

Could I bribe someone with experience with a case of beer or something comparable to help me load and secure it day before the move??? Jan 30-31 or Feb 1, 2 or 3?

Would anyone be willing to lend a hand?
    -Chris

That's a good call... Where is the best place to pick up cut-to-spec 2x4's? Home Depot?

I'm actually really nervous about moving with the bike inside the truck.

Could I bribe someone with experience with a case of beer or something comparable to help me load and secure it day before the move??? Jan 30-31 or Feb 1, 2 or 3?

Would anyone be willing to lend a hand?
    -Chris
    For the cost of 2x4's and the cutting from HD, I would suggest spending an extra $30 and getting one of these:

(picture since Harbor Freights site is broken)

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-69026.html

We use one of these on the bike trailer all the time. Holds the bike really well, and with the addition of a canyon dancer and some straps, it is very stable.

You could still mount it to 2x4's the width of the truck to locate it, but I would probably go with a wood floored truck and screw it in. Add the screw eyes as mentioned before, and go to town.
    2005 GSXR 1000 - Not stock...
    2006 SV650S - Rebuild in progress, with some upgrades...
    1998 Yamaha WR400 - Not stock...
    2008 Dodge QCSB 6.7L Cummins - 525/1019 HP/TQ

Board Newbie

I moved from MA back to CO in a Budget Van with a bike in the back and my stuff packed around it. I didn't have any furniture.

Hand saw?
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Quote Originally Posted by Grant H. View Post
    For the cost of 2x4's and the cutting from HD, I would suggest spending an extra $30 and getting one of these:

(picture since Harbor Freights site is broken)

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-69026.html

We use one of these on the bike trailer all the time. Holds the bike really well, and with the addition of a canyon dancer and some straps, it is very stable.

You could still mount it to 2x4's the width of the truck to locate it, but I would probably go with a wood floored truck and screw it in. Add the screw eyes as mentioned before, and go to town.
    I think I'm going to pick one of those up today.

Hopefully it doesn't bang/displace/warp the dual front brake rotors with a too-snug fit while it holds. I assume it should be okay.

So besides the wheel chock, should I be set with 2-4 eyehooks and 4-6 tie-downs?

Thank you guys for walking me through this. I'd much rather ask for detailed explanation for the "stupid" questions than find my bike on its side in the back of the truck!

T-minus 8 days!
    -Chris

I have used that exact chock, no problems with rotor interference.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    Go to the place you're actually gonna get it from and make sure it has wood floors. Also, simply tell penske that uhaul has it for much less. I did that back and forth about 3 times before I finally paid, they both came down in price by hundreds
    Holy sh;t, I had no idea how cutthroat the rental truck business is. It reminds me of the 90's early 2000's airlines!

I ended up going with Penske for $360 out the door!
    Wood floors and all, so I'm going to grab some eye hooks along with that front wheel chock and about 3 - 4 ratchet straps!

Thanks everyone. You've saved me mega $$$, and even more stress!
    -Chris

So the bike is mounted securely in the moving truck. Will post pictures after we're done.

Also, do you guys barely deflate the front tire inside the chock to prevent too much pressure from bouncing to cause a "snake bite" tear?

Thanks!
    -Chris

Leave it at full pressure. The lower the pressure, the more likely a pinch flat.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Holy sh;t, I had no idea how cutthroat the rental truck business is. It reminds me of the 90's early 2000's airlines!

I ended up going with Penske for $360 out the door!
    Wood floors and all, so I'm going to grab some eye hooks along with that front wheel chock and about 3 - 4 ratchet straps!

Thanks everyone. You've saved me mega $$$, and even more stress!
    -Chris
    Nice, glad you got it figured out