Quote Originally Posted by bornwildnfree View Post
For those of you really pushing the track, realize that as a n00b rider, you probably weren't on the track either. Yes, it is probably the best place to learn, but from a n00b standpoint it's super scary. The road is less scary because most people have been operating a vehicle on the road for years so please be gentle about mentioning the track and if someone refuses stop pushing. It will only make them less likely to go.
I was out at IMI in the first year I had my first street bike. It can be scary, and if someone doesn't want to go that route, then there's no reason to push it. It's not for everyone, it can be expensive, but it does let you get to know your bike and what it can do a lot more than any type of (safe) street riding will. Even if you aren't fast, you'll still learn a lot by just having to concentrate on your riding, and not wondering if grandma is about to turn left in front of you, or if there's gravel on the road around the next corner.

I know it helped me a lot getting out there, even if I wasn't going fast. But it isn't for everyone for sure.