Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Proposal for New/Newish Riders

Re: A Proposal for New/Newish Riders

How about also taking advantage of bike nights and also take groups of new people attending there for talks about gear, riding techniques and to answer questions?

I also think open track days like Chicane played a large influence on the street rider crowd. There was no excuse for over riding your bike when you could easily take it to a track and have real instruction at a reasonable price.

There will always be people you ride above their skill level from time to time for a majority of reasons. We shouldn't condemn them for being being stupid as much as recognizing there are times and places for it.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    There was is no excuse for over riding your bike when you could easily take it to a track
    fixed

Quote Originally Posted by DiddysR6 View Post
    I remember back in the day, we used to setup a noob ride at the begining of the season. What if we see what kind of interest there is, and continue these rides throughout the spring/summer.
    Good idea, but just getting a bunch of inexperienced riders together for a ride is only half an effort. Noob ride where you pair up experienced riders with inexperienced riders who are willing to tactfully share there experiences and hold the ride at a learning pace is a more effective way to safely increase technique and safety of those inexperienced riders. Control riders on the street if you will.
    Otherwise you just have a parade of noobs learning bad habits from other noobs.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

I would recommend the MSF Advanced Rider Course for the CSC members, which Bob and I both instruct - http://www.msf-campus.org/AdvancedRiderCourse.aspx

We go much more in depth with risk management and the riding exercises more closely simulate real world situations.

Sent from my iPad
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

I don’t consider myself a rider coach, but I can offer tips to nervous canyon riders on how to ride the canyons smooth and relaxed. I’m available on Monday afternoons to work one on one with any rider that has an interest.
    Last edited by FZRguy; Mon Mar 4th, 2013 at 03:19 PM.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    Good idea, but just getting a bunch of inexperienced riders together for a ride is only half an effort. Noob ride where you pair up experienced riders with inexperienced riders who are willing to tactfully share there experiences and hold the ride at a learning pace is a more effective way to safely increase technique and safety of those inexperienced riders. Control riders on the street if you will.
    Otherwise you just have a parade of noobs learning bad habits from other noobs.

I was thinking more along the lines of a structured Noob ride, almost like a Noob ride class. where the same veteran riders work with the same bunch of noobs for a few weeks/ months until said bunch of noobs are comfortable
    2011 GSXR 750

Excellent.

I have ridden a long long time. The thoughts that have kept me from crashing are these: 1. There will always be people better than me. 2. Unplanned pain hurts. 3. I remember reading a long time ago in a bike mag someone simply said that on group rides "Ride your own bike".

I am a 6 year RC with MSF. It is a great thing when a person calls me weeks or months or even years later (I do give all students my cell #) and they say simply that counter steering saved them from crashing or SEE saved them from crashing. These are two most common.

The MSF course in Oklahoma only costs $165-$175. Is it so much more expensive in Colorado that it must be subsidized? If so I will help.
    1990 ZX-10
    1995 PW-50
    2004 ZX-10R
    2008 Concours 14

I remember years ago when Floyd did some riding classes. We met at Clement park for a classroom/chalk board session, and then did parking lot drills. Next class, we rode to Buffalo Creek area for some on road riding instruction. I think he limited it to 12 or so. Big rides are not very conducive for learning IMO.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Another idea: What about veteran riders who volunteer for the "buddy system". A noob rider can pair up with a knowledgeable rider during a group ride and so have a better frame of reference of corner speeds and such?
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    I would recommend the MSF Advanced Rider Course for the CSC members, which Bob and I both instruct - http://www.msf-campus.org/AdvancedRiderCourse.aspx

We go much more in depth with risk management and the riding exercises more closely simulate real world situations.

Sent from my iPad
    Signed up for my class earlier today Jim - June 8 at RRCC - through the CO ABATE site!
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Where are the noobs weighing in on this thread? At the risk of opening a can of worms. What are your ideas or preferences?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

A PayPal account or similar would be great. Then during good months I can donate easily, and back off during poor months ( independent contractor).

I would be interested in getting some coaching, as I am a newer rider, but I can also get my brother to do one on one teaching for me and leave space for others that aren't related to mra racers.

I like the idea, but all the safety lectures, and assistance to get to the classes, only goes so far. There will always be riders, noob or not, that will think their invincible, or better than they are, and they will crash. They've all heard the " ride your own ride" and other safety speeches, but those things only help if the rider listens.
    2005 GSXR 1000 - Not stock...
    2006 SV650S - Rebuild in progress, with some upgrades...
    1998 Yamaha WR400 - Not stock...
    2008 Dodge QCSB 6.7L Cummins - 525/1019 HP/TQ

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

This is awesome on so many levels. Dr. Dirk, you RAWK!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

What Dirk hasn't said is that after the ride, noobs will have to write a thesis.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I'm open to riding/giving tips to any noob on the western slope or high rockies. I can help with sportbikes or dual sports. Feel free to PM me anytime.
    (I'm no pro and have not raced, but I tend to get around just fine and have had a fair amount of quality instruction.)

I would also like to advocate that Chicane Track days come back this season. In my opinion, it is one of the best, and most beneficial experiences that any rider can have. For any newer or intermediate riders who are reading this, quality track instruction is worth every penny. It's saved my bike/gear/life more times then I can count. And Chicane always made race tracks accessible to anyone. I hope it is able to return, because it as been a missing void in sportbike community education for the past few years.
    Last edited by Sean; Mon Mar 4th, 2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    What Dirk hasn't said is that after the ride, noobs will have to write a thesis.
    Can you say midterm? Lol

As effectively a noob when it comes to riding in most situations other than commuting I would love this system. I'll donate to the class system and would definitely love to have a veteran rider take me through the paces and give their insight.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Where are the noobs weighing in on this thread? At the risk of opening a can of worms. What are your ideas or preferences?
    First off, big thanks to the OP for such a great proposal. I would most definitely be a worthy candidate for some personal instruction, and I would also be happy to contribute to the fund in question. In regards to "which" ideas or preferences: For me, the smaller the group (or personal one-on-one instruction) the better.

In full disclosure, I did participate in a similar "SaShWhO ride" in the past - very nice guy, he did the pre-ride speech, and hope to ride with him again down the road. That particular ride, I want to say Christy(?) and Mr. Barn took the time to hang back and 'lead me'-- much thanks for that. I had a good experience and wouldn't hesitate to do another group ride. I did however choose not to participate this year...due to potential poor road conditions, colder(ish) weather in the am hours, my own reservations about getting in the way of others, and other obligations at home.

(Special thanks to tecknojoe who has also taken me out many-a-time; never once making me feel insignificant for my noob-skill level.)

Like Vance, I plan on signing up for an Abate class this season- perhaps the "Intermediate" at ACC? My goal is to get my feet wet with some track days, preferably personal instruction (Chicane track days).
    Last edited by kingtut; Mon Mar 4th, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
    _________
    09 zx6r
    Nate

I want to help. Improving rider safety is important, for everyone.

I have yet to earn a number 1 number plate but I've had the chance to learn and ride with some incredible riders over the years.
    Hit me up noobs. Any given Sunday. One on one to small groups of no more than four.
    Last edited by Cornfed; Mon Mar 4th, 2013 at 07:15 PM.

Be warned though, Cornfed is gay, but prefers small groups instead of one-on-one.

Quote Originally Posted by Repsol a095 View Post
    Be warned though, Cornfed is gay, but prefers small groups instead of one-on-one.
    Correction, Bi. Doubles your chances of hooking up.

So what defines a noob from a veteran, actual riding experience or Post count?