Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helmets, Does Money Equal Safety?

Helmets, Does Money Equal Safety?

Im over due for a new helmet. Im on my second Arai and absolutely love it. Great fit, light weight, good ventilation, reputation for quality and safety. Down side, its $500+. I know I can buy a much cheaper helmet. Scorpion, Bell, HJC, etc. I'm curious if you all think the money is worth it. Ive only had one severe get off where my brake lever hit another riders in close racing and I went over the bars, smacked my melon HARD and ended up with a minor concussion.

Would it have been the same outcome if I had on a $200 Scorpion? Ill never know the answer. So whats your thoughts? Does more money equal a better helmet or are you just paying for a brand?
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Re: Helmets, Does Money Equal Safety?

My scorpion saved the front of my head when i Endo'd on I-25 then again when the tail came down and smacked the back of my head. I went and bought the exact same helmet knowing obviously it was worth having again because of its performance before hand.

I believe they all have to pass the same set of safety standards, the more expensive normally involves comfort, better ventilation, cooler designs and brand name....at least this is what they said in my motorcycle class.
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

In my experience the cheaper helmets don't fit as good as ones like Arai and Shoei. They still protect the melon but the fit isn't the same.

A very smart salesperson once told me " You can't put a price on your head " and then began explaining that yes most brands offer SNELL or DOT ratings, or both, but the higher end helmets ( Shoei, Arai,etc ) have more R&D put into them for crash safety.
    2011 GSXR 750

The more expensive helmets offer lighter materials, more features, more customized fit, and better finishes. Other than that they all pass Snell/DOT/ECE/BSI ratings.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    My scorpion saved the front of my head when i Endo'd on I-25 then again when the tail came down and smacked the back of my head. I went and bought the exact same helmet knowing obviously it was worth having again because of its performance before hand.
    I did the same thing after my accident. Thats why Im on my second Arai.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I'm not aware of any independent studies that show any correlation between performance on the various DOT/Snell tests and the cost of the helmet. The most important thing is that the helmet fit you properly to provide the best protection. I wear an Arai and it fits my head as if they used it for the mold. I got a Shoei once (RF1000) because I got a good deal on it but it doesn't fit the shape of my head very well, and is much less comfortable. As Jeff pointed out, the high end helmets have nice features like better venitlation, customizable fits, etc.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Just get one of these bad boys and call it a day

Quote Originally Posted by DiddysR6 View Post
    A very smart salesperson once told me " You can't put a price on your head " and then began explaining that yes most brands offer SNELL or DOT ratings, or both, but the higher end helmets ( Shoei, Arai,etc ) have more R&D put into them for crash safety.
    Exactly how I feel

Lots of thing I will be frugal on, but safety equipment and tattoos are the exceptions!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

http://www.snellapprovedhelmets.com

The safest helmet is the one that gets worn. That said, there was a great article in Motorcyclist magazine that discussed the merits of Snell vs. DOT rated helmets. The rather controversial findings were that the Snell rated helmets transfered more G forces to the head with their 'harder' construction than the 'softer' DOT helmets. Less G-forces equals less likelihood of brain damage or death.

It's less about cost and more about fit. Many topics on this forum have discussed that topic. I would say as long at its a rated helmet there is no relation between cost vs safety.

MRA Racer No.427

The Snell 2010 helmets seem to have fixed some of the G issues, from what I've read. The 2005 helmets were problematic, esp in the smaller sizes. I currently am a proponent of the Bell Vortex line. Inexpensive, but well made, I think. And they are not super heavy and have good ventilation. Noise is a little on the higher side, but is a non issue since I wear ear plugs.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    I'm not aware of any independent studies that show any correlation between performance on the various DOT/Snell tests and the cost of the helmet. The most important thing is that the helmet fit you properly to provide the best protection. I wear an Arai and it fits my head as if they used it for the mold. I got a Shoei once (RF1000) because I got a good deal on it but it doesn't fit the shape of my head very well, and is much less comfortable. As Jeff pointed out, the high end helmets have nice features like better venitlation, customizable fits, etc.
    This.

Ive owned an HJC, Bell, and Bieffe all with mediocre fitment. A little loose here and a little tight here leaving too much wiggle room and red sore spots on my forehead. I tried on three different versions of the Arai and when I put the one on that I wear it "fits my head as if they used a mold". No pressure points, yet snug and perfect vision.
    My old man once told me, "buy the best you can afford and you will never be disappointed." I guess this is a perfect example of that. For the record I started this thread to talk myself out of spending 5+ bills for a new helmet.

Thanks for all the input so far.
    Last edited by Cornfed; Tue Mar 19th, 2013 at 11:30 AM.

(formerly "ABATEStateCoord") THoward's Avatar

From what I have researched higher cost does not mean more protection. The difference in the cost is basically comfort. Snell standards have always been higher than DOT. I have some horror stories about DOT procedures for testing their standards.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by ABATEStateCoord View Post
    From what I have researched higher cost does not mean more protection. The difference in the cost is basically comfort. Snell standards have always been higher than DOT. I have some horror stories about DOT procedures for testing their standards.
    So you should buy the best fitting helmet with a Snell rating, regardless of cost?
    $200 or $800 if it fits your head shape correctly safety is equal?
    The extra $600 is better vents, less weight, pretty graphics, etc?
    Im not saying Im opposed to paying the extra money for the extras but the fact is, that is what your paying for, $200 for safety $600 for extras. This is the root of my question.
    Last edited by Cornfed; Tue Mar 19th, 2013 at 12:04 PM.

IMO, the best way to find a great helmet is to ignore the price. Then do your research and read the shop reviews and owner comments and test fit them. Only until after you narrow the field to a few, do you look at the sticker.

Some riders must only look at Shoei / Arai because that's what their favorite pro uses or that's what the shop salesman are up-selling, are missing out on other brands like Shark, AGV, Suomy, etc etc. Ben Spies uses an HJC.. is that less protective than a Shoei?

I guess the real question is which helmet would you buy if we put a piece of black tape over the brand logo? A $200 one or $600 one, regardless of brand?

Case in point:
    Shoei rf1000 for $232
    Shoei X-12 Marquez replica for $755

Both are constructed with Shoei's AIM+ (Snell 2010) shell, and dual layer EPS foam. What are you getting for your extra $500 & change?
    Last edited by asp_125; Tue Mar 19th, 2013 at 12:35 PM.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    IMO, the best way to find a great helmet is to ignore the price. Then do your research and read the shop reviews and owner comments and test fit them. Only until after you narrow the field to a few, do you look at the sticker.

Some riders must only look at Shoei / Arai because that's what their favorite pro uses or that's what the shop salesman are up-selling, are missing out on other brands like Shark, AGV, Suomy, etc etc. Ben Spies uses an HJC.. is that less protective than a Shoei?

I guess the real question is which helmet would you buy if we put a piece of black tape over the brand logo? A $200 one or $600 one, regardless of brand?

Case in point:
    Shoei rf1000 for $232
    Shoei X-12 Marquez replica for $755

Both are constructed with Shoei's AIM+ (Snell 2010) shell, and dual layer EPS foam. What are you getting for your extra $500 & change?
    A helmet that fits? That RF is a xxs on close out.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

If it fits well, it'll protect you better, as your head won't be banging around in the protective shell that's there to prevent your head from banging around. I don't think cost has a lot to do with it.

Fit is everything. That being said, a more expensive helmet does not necessarily mean better protection:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Art...stHelmets.html
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    A helmet that fits? That RF is a xxs on close out.
    It's for pinheads! I simply picked two to illustrate the point. Same mfg, same construction.
    Last edited by asp_125; Tue Mar 19th, 2013 at 01:27 PM.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Senior Member Moderator

One of the features of the Shoei X-12, Arai Corsair V, and some of the other high-dollar helmets, is that they have emergency release systems which make the helmet easier to remove following a serious crash.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    It's for pinheads! I simply picked two to illustrate the point. Same mfg, same construction.
    I think his point was one was on closeout so not a fair comparison if basing on price!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

My thoughts are....if a HJC is good enough for Spies and now Lorenzo....its probably good enough for me. That model I believe is around 400.

My KBC had over 70,000mi of riding in all conditions as well as a few thousand more in winter conditions before I smacked my head with it. Did its job well. It was a Force RR and I bought it for 250. It wasn't the most lightweight or well ventilated helmet out there, but it did its job when needed.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    My thoughts are....if a HJC is good enough for Spies and now Lorenzo....its probably good enough for me. That model I believe is around 400.

My KBC had over 70,000mi of riding in all conditions as well as a few thousand more in winter conditions before I smacked my head with it. Did its job well. It was a Force RR and I bought it for 250. It wasn't the most lightweight or well ventilated helmet out there, but it did its job when needed.

I'm not one to pay $400 because i need my helmet to be lighter and have better ventilation, i just want it to fit me properly and do its job like what you described.

You rich noodle necks can have your expensive "fancy" helmets, ill stick to my heavy helmet.