Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Helmets, Does Money Equal Safety?

Re: Helmets, Does Money Equal Safety?

I need the most expensive, covered with baby ostrich skin, replica poser helmet to fit in at the coffee klatch.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I need the most expensive, covered with baby ostrich skin, replica poser helmet to fit in at the coffee klatch.
    are you "that" guy?

http://youtu.be/_ztsPIoI65A

Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

i was wearing a Scorpion EXO-500 but just got my new Shoei GT-Air..I have run Shoei for most of my riding life and the one time I switched I did regret it..the cheek pads dont break in and that was the one area that always hurt when riding.. I spoke with several people who have owned Scorpion and they had/have the same issue..

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    ... there was a great article in Motorcyclist magazine that discussed the merits of Snell vs. DOT rated helmets. The rather controversial findings were that the Snell rated helmets transfered more G forces to the head with their 'harder' construction than the 'softer' DOT helmets. Less G-forces equals less likelihood of brain damage or death.
    The article Snowman is referring to was published by Motorcyclist Magazine in 2005 - it's a very interesting and informative article that surprised a lot of people, and changed the way how I looked at buying a new helmet: Blowing the Lid Off

In looking for it, I found another document, that addressed the G-force rating questions that arose from the Blowing the Lid Off article: Technical Response - Blowing the Lid Off

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    So you should buy the best fitting helmet with a Snell rating, regardless of cost?
    $200 or $800 if it fits your head shape correctly safety is equal?
    The extra $600 is better vents, less weight, pretty graphics, etc?
    Im not saying Im opposed to paying the extra money for the extras but the fact is, that is what your paying for, $200 for safety $600 for extras. This is the root of my question.
    In a nutshell, and IMO, yes, and here's why (at least this is my understanding):
    • A DOT rating does not require any testing or proof that it meets the standard defined by the DOT, only that the manufacturer says it meets the standard... some may consider this to be a bit of a joke.
    • Snell, on the other hand, goes out, buys helmets, and tests them independently.
    • The more expensive helmets offer any number of: better ventilation; lighter weight; less wind noise; higher quality finish on the graphics; more comfort, and; better mechanics (think the ratcheting mechanism and quick-release system for the visor). Arai takes it a step further by offering differently-shaped helmets to fit differently-shaped heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    The safest helmet is the one that gets worn.
    Also, make sure it fits properly. Most of you already know this, but if it's comfortable when it's brand new, it will be too big once the cheek pads have broken in. A rule-of-thumb I heard a long time ago about sizing a new helmet: if you can chew gum without biting your cheek, then it's too big. Be careful to not go too small either, though - any good store shouldn't have a problem with you wearing a helmet for 15-20 minutes (which should be long enough to make sure there aren't any pressure spots).
    Last edited by Spiderman; Fri Mar 22nd, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

New Drag Racing Helmet, $750

In Memory of my Pal Ike. Riding in the wind will never be the same without you!
    Chunky Beast Racing
    01 Turbo Busa#B813 8.6 @170.98 mph Bandimere
    Semi finalist Street Bike ET 2017 Bandimere
    1st Place Coys Street Machine ShowDown 2015
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2013 Julesburg, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2012 Julesburg, COl
    1st Place Friday Night Drags 2011 Pueblo, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2011 Pueblo, CO
    2017 SPONSORS
    A.P.E American Performance Engineering
    Diversity Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    The article Snowman is referring to was published by Motorcyclist Magazine in 2005 - it's a very interesting and informative article that surprised a lot of people, and changed the way how I looked at buying a new helmet: Blowing the Lid Off

In looking for it, I found another document, that addressed the G-force rating questions that arose from the Blowing the Lid Off article: Technical Response - Blowing the Lid Off
    Thanks for finding that. I wasn't able to come up with the URL.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post

Great article! Thank you for posting up.

One of the things it talks about is that Arai makes different shaped helmets for different shaped heads, which is why I wear one now, because I found one that fit so well.
    Does any other manufacturer make different shaped helmets?
    Id say I have an oval shaped melon or egghead. Has anyone found a manufacture who's helmets seem to fit eggheads better?
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Great article! Thank you for posting up.

One of the things it talks about is that Arai makes different shaped helmets for different shaped heads, which is why I wear one now, because I found one that fit so well.
    Does any other manufacturer make different shaped helmets?
    Id say I have an oval shaped melon or egghead. Has anyone found a manufacture who's helmets seem to fit eggheads better?
    Shoei does, IIRC the Qwest is made for rounder head as compared to their RF series. There used to be a saying that an Arai head is not the same shape as a Shoei head.. not so much anymore.

As for other manufacturers, this link has helped me: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Here's my $.02

I crashed a couple of times in a Scorpion EX400 on the track/street. Every time I had headaches, dizziness and got bounced around. Yes, the fit was great. I crashed once with a Shoei (3rd gear pinned on a KTM450) and bounced off of the ground a couple of times. No headache or dizziness.

Can you really compare crashing on the street to crashing on the dirt? No. Is my study scientific or have any actual facts to back it up? No. But I do believe that a higher quality construction goes into Arai and Shoei (and others). Not justifying the extra costs for graphics, but based on the base model. I just don't feel the need to risk the possibility of messing up my head. Pretty much everything else on my body can be replaced.

Arai's are also handmade, so that could be part of the reason for cost as well. Regardless, I think they have the sharpest looking lid on the market.

Nick Hayden's Laguna Seca Easy Rider Helmet

Of course I cant afford it
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

An arai profile was the only one in the store that would fit my oblong head.

It's hard to believe that a handmade helmet that is signed off by the craftsman at each step would not protect better than one that's glue together by a robot.

Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    It's hard to believe that a handmade helmet that is signed off by the craftsman at each step would not protect better than one that's glue together by a robot.
    Machines can be calibrated to incredibly close tolerances. When you buy hand crafted you pay for the human element. Humans can have bad days. If I purchased the Hayden Arai I fully realize a great share of the money goes for the pretty paint. The articles listed show that dollars are not the sole indicator of safety.

Motorcyclist or Sport Rider a couple months ago published an article about a new helmet design coming to the street. It has "floating impact absorption thingies" that may change the way we protect our head. Time will tell.
    1990 ZX-10
    1995 PW-50
    2004 ZX-10R
    2008 Concours 14

Quote Originally Posted by OATSF14JERRY View Post
    Machines can be calibrated to incredibly close tolerances. When you buy hand crafted you pay for the human element. Humans can have bad days. If I purchased the Hayden Arai I fully realize a great share of the money goes for the pretty paint. The articles listed show that dollars are not the sole indicator of safety.

Motorcyclist or Sport Rider a couple months ago published an article about a new helmet design coming to the street. It has "floating impact absorption thingies" that may change the way we protect our head. Time will tell.
    http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=49627

www.6dhelmets.com

It looks like they are only offering MX helmets at this point.

Keeper of The Great White Buffalo

1000 dollar helmets IMO are loud as f**k. That is not why I wear spendy helmets. Fit and weight is key for me. So the Racey Helmets are the ones with Lighter materials, Loud ventillation and best fitting IMO. Over Kill ventillation = Cool brain. Cool brain = better decision, Lighter = Happy neck, Happy neck = indurance, DEAF/DEF by 30 = Pay to paly
    Conclusion is to stay DEF YO

Broker Associate RE/MAX Alliance
    A business built on referrals

Good read thanks for posting this guys. For me the snug and right fit is my Scorpion EXO400 and yes I went all out with the poser/squid type graphics but that's just my taste Feel free to flame on my choice of design. Even went with the Blue shield. The first helmet I got was a Joe Rocket and it was before I knew about the whole settling in phase and now its a bit too loose for me so it doesnt get worn as much.

2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

I have an Arai Corsair V and I recently picked up a Bell Star Carbon Cerwinske because it was half price and because I got the transition shield for it. So far the Bell is a very nice helmet, but everything about the Arai feels higher quality. Keep in mind the Bell Star retailed around $700 and Arai was $100 more, so very close in price. The simple things make the Arai my favorite still. Things like the rubber tab that allows you to open the shield to any angle and not just the preset notches like every other helmet. Also, the emergency release tabs to remove the liner in case of accident is another very nice feature that not many helmets have adopted. The profile of the Arai is incredible too, at any speed the wind never feels like it is going to tear your head off, the Arai is very slippery in the wind. The fit is unbelievable too. I have worn it on a 1000 mile 2 day ride without a single issue of comfort.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Sounds like you should probably sell me your Bell.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    Sounds like you should probably sell me your Bell.
    No chance.

The transition shield is the coolest thing ever as far as helmets go.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

I love the Bell Star. For me it's like putting your head in a pillow.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Quote Originally Posted by JKOL View Post
    The profile of the Arai is incredible too, at any speed the wind never feels like it is going to tear your head off, the Arai is very slippery in the wind. The fit is unbelievable too. I have worn it on a 1000 mile 2 day ride without a single issue of comfort.
    All this.

I forget about how my old HJC used to wanna take flight with my head in it at high speeds, not so much with either of my Arais. After a typical Sunday ride of 300+ miles I never notice any sore neck, forehead, pressure points on the top of head, etc. I guess sometimes its not what you notice but what you dont notice that counts.
    Id be pissed if I spent $300 for a "good" helmet that fit "fine" and found it shook my head at 80mph and tried to rip it off 100+. Its worth $700 to find a perfect fit that performance as good or better as my last too. Im not trying to be brand loyal to Arai but I know what has worked for me in the past and would hate to try something else and be disappointed. Yet, if I could get the same fit and performance for half that, that would be ideal.

I may be suffering from paralysis by analysis.
    Last edited by Cornfed; Fri Mar 22nd, 2013 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HOTCARCASS View Post
    1000 dollar helmets IMO are loud as f**k. That is not why I wear spendy helmets. Fit and weight is key for me. So the Racey Helmets are the ones with Lighter materials, Loud ventillation and best fitting IMO. Over Kill ventillation = Cool brain. Cool brain = better decision, Lighter = Happy neck, Happy neck = indurance, DEAF/DEF by 30 = Pay to paly
    Conclusion is to stay DEF YO
    Ear Plugs = happy ears
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

I just bounced my head off a track with my Arai. It really didn't hurt too much even though it cracked it. I think one thing that was barely touched on, is the translation of lighter weight equals less strain on your neck and head as you get tossed around (the lighter the helmet, the easier it is to change direction under force). Visor also didn't pop like many others I've seen have. Here is the cracked visor mechanism cover from the Arai.

I'm on my third Corsair.

Last edited by TransNone13; Fri Mar 22nd, 2013 at 08:26 PM.

All this.

I forget about how my old HJC used to wanna take flight with my head in it at high speeds, not so much with either of my Arais. After a typical Sunday ride of 300+ miles I never notice any sore neck, forehead, pressure points on the top of head, etc. I guess sometimes its not what you notice but what you dont notice that counts.
    Id be pissed if I spent $300 for a "good" helmet that fit "fine" and found it shook my head at 80mph and tried to rip it off 100+. Its worth $700 to find a perfect fit that performance as good or better as my last too. Im not trying to be brand loyal to Arai but I know what has worked for me in the past and would hate to try something else and be disappointed. Yet, if I could get the same fit and performance for half that, that would be ideal.

I may be suffering from paralysis by analysis.
    Very good point, I find zero faults with my Arai. I figure if you can wear a helmet for 8 hours and not have anything but messed up hair, the helmet is damn comfortable. You are 100% right on the next strain, I have never once felt any fatigue or strain from the helmet catching the wind. Even turning your head doesn't affect the wind resistance. Even the profile of the helmet is smooth in the wind. Only thing I could complain about is how difficult the shield was to change until I watched a video that explained a couple tricks and from then on it was simple.

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    I just bounced my head off a track with my Arai. It really didn't hurt too much even though it cracked it. I think one thing that was barely touched on, is the translation of lighter weight equals less strain on your neck and head as you get tossed around (the lighter the helmet, the easier it is to change direction under force). Visor also didn't pop like many others I've seen have. Here is the cracked visor mechanism cover from the Arai.

I'm on my third Corsair.

I agree, the Corsair is very light and I think that is an often overlooked factor. With that said, my Bell Star Carbon feels even lighter. Both require ear plugs as they are not quiet at anything over 60 mph.

Jason
    07 600RR

I have owned Bell, HJC, KBC, Scorpion, Arai, Shoei and I think Scorpion is the best bang for the buck. Price notwithstanding, I liked my Shoei the most, but they are pricey. That is just my 2 cents...